Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 vs 911

jimxo

Corvette
Sold my 1989 snif-snif
I have never driven a 911 (only as a passenger 2002) but I know they are fun fun fun? I hope the C6 will be a fun car to drive as is the 911. The big factor for me will be the interior fit and finish.

I drove a 911 once about 12 years ago. At that point I had been driving vettes for about 15 years. I found it cramped and I was told that one must develop driving skills for the rear engined car. Back then it definately did not have the "Grunt Factor" of the Corvette. The fact that Porsche has been able to accomplish so much (win races consistantly) with the engine behind the rear axle amazes me. Certainly it is a car to be respected.

Fun Factor? Guess this is somewhat subjective and you should not depend on someone else telling you what the fun factor is for a car (even car rags) - you must rate it yourself. Remember, you must live with this car day in and day out and don't forget the repair and maintainence fun factor. I'm told a bill for the 50k sched maint for a Porsche can really get your heart racing.

All this in my opinion only - decide by the seat of your pants and your pocketbook.

LongTimer said:
I'm told a bill for the 50k sched maint for a Porsche can really get your heart racing.

I have read that Ferrari's are also extremely expensive to maintain. Yet another reason to buy a Corvette. Good 'ole American Muscle :pat.

LongTimer said:
I drove a 911 once about 12 years ago. At that point I had been driving vettes for about 15 years. I found it cramped and I was told that one must develop driving skills for the rear engined car. Back then it definately did not have the "Grunt Factor" of the Corvette. The fact that Porsche has been able to accomplish so much (win races consistantly) with the engine behind the rear axle amazes me. Certainly it is a car to be respected.

Yes, the older Porsches are a handful if you don't know what you are doing. We used to take a friends early 70's 911 out to the parking lot and just do circles at a constant speed and then let off the throttle..... results instant spin. Was a blast.

The happy tail end went away in 94 or 95 with a redesign of the suspension. It is now a much better handling car.

The Porsche may not be the best at everything, but it excels at so much it is one of the best sports cars out there..... STOCK

hello all,
every time i ride in a small tight car it really feels like your going much faster than you really are,just the opposite with the c5 its smooth power,i raced an older 911,80s maybe big tail,he lost and did not really even pose a threat really.the boxster i raced seemed faster,that was no challenge either.i know the twin turbos are fast,not for that kind of money.i was in a conversation about a lambo with a guy and he said after 2 or 3 1/4 mile runs the clutchs are toast and 6000 grand to fix(might have been ferrari cant remember)he said even the aftermarket clutches dont last very long.you know the warrenty guy would say "youve been racing thats not covered by warrenty"plus there ugly.you can flame me all you want,they were ugly 20 years ago and still ugly,ugly,ugly.later,Todd.

SlowRide said:
I have read that Ferrari's are also extremely expensive to maintain. Yet another reason to buy a Corvette. Good 'ole American Muscle :pat.
;stupid :pat Hard to beat American muscle for everyday real time driving.

SlowRide said:

This is a common issue with many of the exotics. I once looked at buying a used Ferrari or Lamborghini, which can be had for much less than a relatively new Vette. The problem was I learned I could pay as much as the price of a cheap car every time I did hit a major maintenance milestone. This conversation was about 8 years ago, but I seem to remember a tune up for those things was in the four figure range.

Give me Vette. My Z06 gives me all the fun I can handle at my age!

Doc
:)

hawaii-5-lo said:
plus there ugly.you can flame me all you want,they were ugly 20 years ago and still ugly,ugly,ugly.later,Todd.

Amazing, I say the same thing about the C5.

Porsche has perfected that body style. It is even being carried forward through the 997 version.

Interestingly enough... a friend with two corvettes..one with a heads and cam package and one 2002 electron blue coupe..

Well..this guy always dreamed of a porsche twin turbo..so he sold both vettes and as crazy as it sounds..even with him doing high speed driving events..He hated the Porsche...

It was his lifelong dream..and when he got it..He didn't like it..

To answer your question..I like the 911..and I believe the 2005 will bring a new car..and it will be exciting and beautiful as always..

The C6 will be too..

The Corvette, Porsche rivalry will always exist because they are two great sports cars with slightly different focus.

I've been to Porsche driving school events with my Corvette and the guys were great. They admired my Corvette and its performance and handling..and I admired their car as well.

True sports car enthusiasts don't have to "only dig the car they own" They can be mature enough to respect the fine sports cars others choose to own..

Variety is the spice of life..

Interior quality of the 911 has always been much better..as well...and since thats your priority..then that should be a major factor in your decision making process..IMO..

Personally the leather on the C5 blows but my butt doesn't seem to care.. ;)

hey JBsC5,
i totally agree with your statement.thats exactly why im not in a corvette club.me and Da Hawaiian Punch are the only vettes in our club,most of the other cars run 12s down to 10s in the quarter.there all pro gas cars,me and Da Punch have been in this club 5 years now.BigBoysToys came with us last time,that was cool.hes on this forum also.im totally into AMERICAN hotrods.i really dont have anything against european cars,i just havent found any very attractive,and the prices are rediculous.im a desert storm veteran and american to the core.i loved my trans-am and had it for 9 years,one big reason i got the vette is because i got sick of chasing the rust around the metal car.i will be the last guy to say 'only vettes rule'.i hope thats not what you were implying.later,Todd.

Todd,

Sounds like you guys are having fun out in Hawai...for more reasons than the beautiful girls and the beautiful environment..

Believe me..I was not implying only Vettes are cool. I dig all sports cars..Which one I chose to own is like everyone else..its a personal preference..

I choose the Vette..if a friend choses a Porsche or Ferrari..or whatever..Thats cool..and in fact thats what helps make the sport interesting..

Jeffvette said:
Amazing, I say the same thing about the C5.

Porsche has perfected that body style. It is even being carried forward through the 997 version.
I'm glad they're not still perfecting the Sopwith Camel.

Most ppl dont believe me when I say this, but my truck will beat a corvette whos driver doesnt know how to drive the stick correctly. My truck runs high 12s. Its a 2003 Silverado. I beat a Vette in a street race just the other day, and I got a good laugh at that. I will say this tho, if I had the money, Id buy a Vette. For now I will stick to my 4000 pound, 422 rwhp Silverado.

IntroWheels said:
Most ppl dont believe me when I say this, but my truck will beat a corvette whos driver doesnt know how to drive the stick correctly. My truck runs high 12s. Its a 2003 Silverado. I beat a Vette in a street race just the other day, and I got a good laugh at that. I will say this tho, if I had the money, Id buy a Vette. For now I will stick to my 4000 pound, 422 rwhp Silverado.

Yah, count me with most people.

IntroWheels said:
And...........what does this have to do with C6 vs 911?:confused

SlowRide said:
I've heard the newer ones are not as finicky and difficult to maintain.

The other day, a silver 360 Modena convertible blew by me while I was sitting at a set of lights getting ready to turn. The sound coming from that car... :BOW was almost enough to make me overlook any maintenance issues. :)

Rob said:

The other day, a silver 360 Modena convertible blew by me while I was sitting at a set of lights getting ready to turn. The sound coming from that car... :BOW was almost enough to make me overlook any maintenance issues. :)
Some people like the high pitched strings in the symphony and others like the bass drums.:L

ROCKETBLOCK said:
Some people like the high pitched strings in the symphony and others like the bass drums.:L

Maybe that's why I not only love Metallica and Motley Crue, but I also love Mendelsohn and Haydn. :D

Cecil Fielder (sp?) ownes a Ferrari 512TR. He has a big sound system in it that causes the belt to bounce off of its track, and shred itself. It lasts 5k miles max.... On a 512 (AKA testarossa) the engine needs to be removed to change the belt. Imagine the labor costs on that! I have never heard of any american car with that kind of problem either.

Rob said:

Rob, the new R&T and C&D have articles on the Enzo. I think it was R&T that said the oil is $60 per quart and a change is somthing like $600. The factory warrantee is void if this particular oil is not used. This is probably just the Enzo, but wow!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom