Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 With a DOHC Motor?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
If you've ever wondered why the C5 Corvette did not get an LT5-like engine from the ZR-1 you may be interested in this thread:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14104

Unless the design and architecture of a DOHC motor can be significantly changed to match the size and compactness of the LS1/LS6 engine and be just as cost efficient to build as well as more fuel efficient and compliant with future exhaust regulations, I doubt we'll see a motor like the LT5 in the near future. But....who knows..... ;) ;)

all corvettes are red

ever read the book all corvettes are red ? goes into the reason about dohc vs pushrod . forgot what the specifics were but its close to that article plus its just good reading about the C5 devolpent from 89 to when it rolled off the line .

With the performance of the LS6 motor I'm personally not convinced that DOHC is a better proposition than the existing design.

Technology for complexitys sake is not always the best way to go..

There are many areas of technology that are used in the present C5 that make this one kick @ss ride..

Not sure dohc is necessary or would be a benefit other than marketing hype..

405 hp in an emissions legal non gas guzzler tax type of engine truly is a testiment to GM's capability..

3118lbs of ZO6 that meets all government regulations is quite a feat! GM impressed the hell of me enough that I bought another Corvette a few months back..

The accolades (sp) that Corvette engineers have recieved have been well deserved..

Ownership of this car is a amazing..and the C6 should be even more impressive.

They may go to the technology similiar in concept that was displayed in the Vx8 for greater performance..and in that case I would imagine we will get even more impressive capabilities while still meeting government regulations..

If GM can do 450hp in the Z06 C6 planned for 2005/2006my release..with the existing engine platform.. I think we will all forget about DOHC 's yet again.

Ford had to go to supercharging to get its DOHC engine at similiar levels (390) out of the factory..

They have fine engineers as well..so I can only say GM's on its game with the development of the LS1/ls6 motor..

I believe its the automatic transmission in the C5 model that is keeping the power levels at 350hp.. I believe the introduction of the new 5 speed A5 coming in the C6 will allow higher output on the coupe and convertible versions..to meet competition..

GM likes to be top dog with the Vette. And that will never stop..(IMHO)

R&T C6 article

FYI - The Aug. Road & Track mag. has an interesting little article
on the C6 with a few artistic renditions. Also, 2 other short
articles on the 50th Anniversary edition and Corvette history.

Hummmm....DOHC vs. OHV engine????

Just take a look at the Ford DOHC engine in the Lightening truck and the new SVT Mustang. I would think that an engine like that (DOHC with 4 valves/cylinder) would easly make 400 hp and go up from there. But Ford has to put a blower on it just to get it up to 390 (there has got to be some type of design problems in that engine). The Chevy LS6 make 405 without any add on's.

Nah, we don't need any stinkin' DOHC. Long live pushrods :)

tom...

Tom73 said:
Hummmm....DOHC vs. OHV engine????

Just take a look at the Ford DOHC engine in the Lightening truck and the new SVT Mustang. I would think that an engine like that (DOHC with 4 valves/cylinder) would easly make 400 hp and go up from there. But Ford has to put a blower on it just to get it up to 390 (there has got to be some type of design problems in that engine). The Chevy LS6 make 405 without any add on's.

Nah, we don't need any stinkin' DOHC. Long live pushrods :)

tom...

diito!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom