Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6/Z06 Shifter goes in Saturday

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
C6/Z06 shifter came today in the brown truck and it goes in tomorrow afternoon.

Picked it up thru Fred Beans (Gene). Speedy shippment and fair cost.

Rain

z06shifter.jpg

z06stamp.jpg

Yes - just printed that off to read it (hate trying to read long documents on the Computer Screen sometimes)

Pretty straight forward. Put it in neutral, jank the old out, shove the new in. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

no luck on a fender. Guy that says he has one is in Leburn, KY. money order only. has not given me a name or an address to send money to.
Can't find anyone near there to verify shop or parts.
Do have phone number and once things slow down on Sunday I hope to call him to establish a base contact.

still shopping for the driver's side front fender!
(thanks for asking)

now Im shopping new center arm rests and a shifter boot.

With the brushed aluminum dash and center console kit that goes in next week and the metallic/carbon fiberish shift knob of the z06 shifter, I am tossed up between black leather with a grey/silver stitching or a carbon fiber looking leather.

FWIW, the boots aren't 29$ so I could buy both and try them out and sell the other.

anyhow - off for coffee and beignets!
then to the garage to install the shifter and my Vararam

OH YEA - you first! LOL!!!!

Shifter went in easy. Of course as Im putting the nuts back on I drop the socket down into the tunnel!!!

have to jack up one side of the car to get it to roll to the driver's side.
Then snagged it with a magnet stick thingy.

Shifts nice. Reverse was tough at first but is fine now.
Need a new boot.. the shift knob base is larger than what C5 has stock, so the diameter of my stock boot is barely too small. I no longer need a center console armrest. The shorter Z06 shifter lines up PERFECTLY with the stock console and is very comfortable when flying thru the gears.

btw, Vararam went on today too - NOW I need the new filter for it.. (its an old version Vararam with the questionable filter)

sorry about the poor image quality - Susan has the good digital camera.

shifter-4.jpg

shifter-5.jpg

shifter1.jpg

shifter2.jpg

shifter3.jpg

Rain said:
C6/Z06 shifter came today in the brown truck and it goes in tomorrow afternoon.

Picked it up thru Fred Beans (Gene). Speedy shippment and fair cost.
Got a # or web link, Rain. I like that!! I may have to do that Mod to mine!!:upthumbs

sent it to ya in a PM

Great mod... I'd appreciate it if you could send me info on where and what to order?

Peter

Here ya go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1254165&highlight=z06&forum_id=115

At all times, remember, you can purchase any of these items in the specials by going to www.fredbeansgmparts.com

All you need to use is the part numbers or kit part numbers provided under the proper make. From our easy ordering site, you will get confirmations and shipping info.

Please make sure you visit our website and order conveniently at any time from www.fredbeansgmparts.com

||--Genuine GM C6 Z06 Shifter Kit--||

15232011 – C6 Z06 shifter
10354701 – C6 shift knob
11609670 - Bolt

Complete kit 180.82 + 17.18 shipping
For this kit on our website, use part number c6z06shifter under Chevrolet make.

Thanks.

How does it feel shifting versus stock? How's the throw, smoothness, and any other impressions?

Peter

Rain,
I'm interested in the difference you notice with this new shifter. Is it supposed to be a shorter throw?

Why not go with an 03 or 04? Just curious.

I want to make this mod but I'm waiting until I bring the car in to the dealer and have them fix the grinding I'm now experiencing from 1-2.

I'm in Knoxville and would be willing to make a trip for you to KY. It looks to be 3 hours. Be careful with a money order. I've been screwed more than once. Just my opinion.

Let me know if I can help.
Sal

Sal - thanks for the offer on the Kentucky excursion.
Alas, I caught up with Cecil on Sunday and followed up with him on Thursday, only to learn his brother had already sold the body panel I needed. Sure was going to be my saving grace. (finding a perfect, non repaired, black painted, fender for that price)

I have talked to a few others who did this Z06 shifter install. Some did as I did (removed the shifter from the lower mounting/housing, and simply dropped it into the C5 factory base). One gentleman I heard from today said he yanked the old one completely out and dropped the new Z06 shifter in. The original had left shadows on the mounting plate to show him where to mount the new one. Said he moved it backwards a slight bit and the adjustment was what he was looking for.

Personally, it looks like the exact same piece to me (C5 base vs C6 Z06 base).

It is indeed a shorter throw. The shift knob is no longer blocking the HVAC control readout. And I no longer have to keep my hand elevated in order to shift. My arm now rests level on the center console and shifting is effortless. (I also no longer have that divot in the arm rest cover caused by my elbow, either.)

For the money, I think its a great alternative to the aftermarket shifters (which are known for excessive noise and not so smooth shifts).

Just my opinion (as i know folks who love Hurst shifters). Also felt confident in the product being a factory part as opposed to an aftermarket piece. It took no time to install and was effortless for someone like me with limited time with a wrench in my hand. (this was only the 2nd time I have ever taken the center console out- and now I can do it in half the time)

feel free to ask more questions.

GM Parts Direct has a great price on the unit. How many bolts came with the kit?

Did you ever get your Ipod figured out? While you had the console out did you happen to remove the radio. I'm still tempted to pull mine to see what is plugged into the 'ACC' slot.

Are you looking for a fender already painted?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

UPDATE: Also installed my new Custom Shift Boot, Arm Rest Cover, and E-Brake Boot. Ordered, Customized, Shipped and Delivered in 3 days!!!! (for under 100$) Auger Resources - Talk to Chris.
http://augerresources.com/c5.htm
(I know its not real leather - but not everyone can afford a Ken King interior) Plus, at this cost, I could order several diff. color combos and change em out every other show if I want a subtle interior or a shocking one!
http://augerresources.com/ultraleather.htm

I went with black leather and black suede with light grey stitching. The suede matches up nicely with the suede -ish material on the inside edges of the seats.
(Next mod is a brushed aluminum dash kit from Superior Dash.

BLACK MOON said:
GM Parts Direct has a great price on the unit. How many bolts came with the kit?

Did you ever get your Ipod figured out? While you had the console out did you happen to remove the radio. I'm still tempted to pull mine to see what is plugged into the 'ACC' slot.

Are you looking for a fender already painted?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

How is GM Parts Direct on shipping? Nothing against the company but I've just consistantly found great unit prices thru them tacked on with extreme shipping costs. (and if I were to order 4 or 5 smaller parts, there is a base shipping nad handling cost on each one, even though its all tossed in the same box and the marked postage is no where near what they charged me)
ANYHOW - YMMV hahahaha

First time I pulled the console was to install the BOSE converter(to the rear of the stock radio) so I could send a clean signal to my subwoofer amp. At that time I also installed the GM10 aux adapter to the end of the CD changer harness. That gave me a RCA input to the head unit where I now run the iPod and XM radio thru with no problems.

And yes, still shoping for a driver's front fender. Black.
Spoke to my insurance agent Wednesday and he is leaning towards painting the whole car and replacing the panel with a new one. OF couse I have a $1,000 deductible... sigh - and sure a good paint job is going to run 4 grand.

Thanks for the offer to help out
Rain

Rain said:
And yes, still shoping for a driver's front fender. Black.
Spoke to my insurance agent Wednesday and he is leaning towards painting the whole car and replacing the panel with a new one. OF couse I have a $1,000 deductible... sigh - and sure a good paint job is going to run 4 grand.

Thanks for the offer to help out
Rain
Dirty Deeds and there Done Dirt Cheep!!!! At The Junksters!!;LOL :D

I know Junk -
how is the paint booth these days?

Rain,
Boy I hate to see anyone paint an entire car unless it really needs it.

I've used GM Parts before with mixed results. I was just offering an option for others who may not know of them. A local dealer will usually meet their price but then I have to pay tax. I guess it is all a wash in the end.

More about the stereo... if you have time.....were you happy with the subwoofer addition and can you use an ipod and xm radio at the same time or does the adapter allow you to keep them hooked up? Mine being a rag top looses alot with the top down and I am looking at options. As i stated before I wanted to keep the changer if possible.

Good luck with the fender. I'll keep my ears open.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom