Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Corvette Z06 Owners Slap GM With Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit for Cooling System Defects

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
A large group of 2015 - 2016 Corvette Z06 owners have filed a class-action lawsuit against General Motors due to a proposed issue where their Corvettes go into limp-home mode after performing on a race track where the engine temperatures rise to a certain level.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, June 13, 2017 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, alleges that after around 15 minutes of track use, the Corvette Z06's LT4 engine will go into "limp mode" due to a "defective cooling system" which prevents the driver from driving the car on the track until the engine has cooled back down. The lawsuit also claims that GM was "knowingly selling allegedly defective" cars, even though the vehicles are sold as track-ready.

To view the complete article, check out the Corvette Action Center's Home Page >>>

Attachments

• c7-corvette-z06-track.jpg
    c7-corvette-z06-track.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 274
I am very, very disappointed in GM on this issue. I am a corvette guy, always have been and always will be. I expected that "GM would take care of it" on my 2016 Z06 that so badly overheated on the track at the LS FEST WEST in Las Vegas the other day, that I had to come off after only 4 laps of an entitled 7 lap event. But I found out they aren't going to do anything. It's a Z06 which is basically a street drive able race car. There is a definite flaw in the design. They should man up and fix it. The corvette family (hundreds of thousands of vette owners out there, led by GM) are like brothers and brothers don't treat one another that way especially when GM knows that, because I am part of the family, I will buy another corvette again someday and therefore they don't have to fix it. Not fair. Not moral. Not right.

One thing I would like to add is that in normal spirited driving, auto cross and drag strip 1/4 mile racing; there isn't any over heating issues of any kind. It's the TRACK, at high rpm with multiple laps, that is the problem. I am sure a GM engineer could tell us exactly why that is and what it would take to correct that flaw. Maybe with the current set up, it isn't correctable. And that's why GM doesn't do something about it and then basically our answer; it's not correctable.

As GM races the C7R on the track, it appears there is a fix..

As an offhand guess, I'd say more cores (a thicker radiator) in the radiator and fans that flow more air through the cores..

The issue, selling a "track ready" car means just that.. So there shouldn't be a need to buy a DeWitts radiator and fans to make a "track ready" car track capable.

The "bad" would be if the C7R has a stock radiator and fans.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom