Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Grandsport or Z06 Style

KP99

Corvette
2012 SuperSonic Blue GS
Has anyone heard if the new C7 will come out of the gate with a Grandsport version
(or will that be the standard offering) or will they start out with a std. Coupe
and add the GS later like they did with the C6?

Haven't even heard an opinion from those who don't know.

Somewhere I read that the Grand Sport will be the base model and then on up from there. The GS has been very popular because they are very cool and that then makes you very cool.......:D

Has anyone heard if the new C7 will come out of the gate with a Grandsport version
(or will that be the standard offering) or will they start out with a std. Coupe
'

Chevrolet hasn't announced specifics such as that and I would expect them to until at least the Detroit Auto Show, when C7 is rumored to be introduced, but...

My guess would be they'll make the base model the Grand Sport.

Why?

Simple...brand equity. The reintroduction of the Grand Sport nameplate was a shot in the arm for the car. It also is perceived as a Corvette which is a little up-scale. I think Chevrolet will want to leverage that when they introduce a car which will undoubtedly be more expensive. The base car will cost more so it makes sense that marketing weenies will put a name on it which has the perception of having value added.

I respectfully disagree with the logic behind Hib's position. Chevy has been up-selling more than 50 percent of new sales to the GS...why would they give up that huge premium over the base? I'd keep the base and try to up-sell to the GS exactly like they are doing now. Chevy really needs to keep the entry level Vette as cheap as possible, so making it a GS, which suggests premium content/configuration is counter logical. I sure hope there is a low content entry level Vette, but I hope it's not called a GS. That would piss off a lot of us that view the GS as a premium model.

I respectfully disagree with the logic behind Hib's position. Chevy has been up-selling more than 50 percent of new sales to the GS...why would they give up that huge premium over the base? I'd keep the base and try to up-sell to the GS exactly like they are doing now. Chevy really needs to keep the entry level Vette as cheap as possible, so making it a GS, which suggests premium content/configuration is counter logical. I sure hope there is a low content entry level Vette, but I hope it's not called a GS. That would piss off a lot of us that view the GS as a premium model.

I agree (not that I want to go on record as *disagreeing* with Hib!) imo, if the Grand Sport becomes the base model, then why call it a Grand Sport? You can call the base model a ZR1, but that doesn't make it anything more than a base model.

In order for any "premiumed-up" version (for lack of an actual word) to be special or different in any way, there has to be a base model from which there is a relative upward change.

A rose by any other name...

Last edited:
I agree (not that I want to go on record as *disagreeing* with Hib!) imo, if the Grand Sport becomes the base model, then why call it a Grand Sport? You can call the base model a ZR1, but that doesn't make it anything more than a base model.

In order for any "premiumed-up" version (for lack of an actual word) to be special or different in any way, there has to be a base model from which there is a relative upward change.

A rose by any other name...

Think 2005...

I would agree with Catbert. The GS has the perception of added value so why make it the base. If they market the new Corvette like they have done in the past the GS will be continue to be an upgrade.

Won't be the first time I'm in the minority on an issue such as this.

It will be interesting to see what's on the turntable in the Chevrolet display at Detroit in January.

No doubt the outcome will be, at the next of our "attitude adjustment" meetings at the Bowling Green Outback, either I or "catbert" will be buying the drinks.

They could give the base model Grandsport "like" styling minus the actual badges.

The question is will the ZR1 (the king) return in the C7?

Would they drop one out of the three (Z06, Grandsport or ZR1)? If you make the base model Grandsport like styling the marketing would be muddy. Maybe they would drop the Z06. It had a 8 plus year run.

C7 Base "Grandsport like styling minus badge" 5.5 litre HP about 430 HP
C7 Grandsport 505 hp. 5.5 litre supercharged
C7 Z06 505 HP LS7
C7 ZR1 638 HP LS9

It will be interesting to see what's on the turntable in the Chevrolet display at Detroit in January.

No doubt the outcome will be, at the next of our "attitude adjustment" meetings at the Bowling Green Outback, either I or "catbert" will be buying the drinks.

I'm not saying you're not right, if you're saying that's what Chevy will do. (sorry for the double negative) To me though, it wouldn't make sense. But I think that sometimes I look at things from what I consider to be a logical perspective, which probably doesn't work in marketing.

I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be a mistake, from a marketing standpoint, if Chevy were to take that approach. But I'm not a marketing genius, so I suppose it's possible it could work!

The Grand Sport came along to try and inject some much needed sales into a dismall time in car selling history. The Corvette guys had all the pieces sitting on the shelves to make the car happen and for the most part were rewarded for their efforts. It's a hell of a car, especially with the 6sp and dry sump hand built LS3 engine. It's got the look and the stance that make folks take a second look when they see one. I call it a poor mans Z06...:D

It may be a car model that only worked because of the circumstances that it was born out of.....maybe it is something only for the C6's. On the other hand it's a grand old name and after reading the input in this thread, I agree that it would be a mistake to have the Grand Sport be less than something special. I cannot think that Chevy would not have a Z06 due to its high acclaim and acceptance as one of the best overall sport cars on the planet. The ZR 1 may or may not carry over.

Sooo, I'm thinking there may be a base model with 450 hp and a Grand Sport model in which both coupe and roadsters can have side oilers in them and maybe around 505 horses. This to meet the need for a high horse roadster that is selling well at this time. Then there will be the Z06 with maybe 550 horse. The ZR1 will come later if the demand is high enough and it will run upwards of 700 ponys. That is my personal wild ass guess........

Are you going to the Bash? I spoke to Harlan Charles at VIR, and he backed away from saying the Vette will absolutely be shown at Detroit. He said the decision won't be made until November. I don't know whether to believe him, in the words of Dr. House - "They all lie."

Last edited:
Are you going to the Bash?

Not sure yet.
I spoke to Harlan Charles at VIR, and he backed away from say the Vette will absolutely be shown at Detroit. He said the decision won't be made until November. I don't know whether to believe him, in the words of Dr. House - "They all lie."

My guess is Charles walked that back because of what's going on inside GM to persons who leak or giveaway advanced information which is unofficial.

I'm going to stick with my fearless forecast that C7 will debut at Detroit in January. I suppose there is the possibility of that not happening but I'd say the only way it might not is if:

1) Last minute problems with the car delay it's on-sale date
2) Pres. Obama wins a second term and GM sees introduction of a car like Corvette at an event like the Detroit auto show as a political negative.
3) Gasoline prices continue upward
They could give the base model Grandsport "like" styling minus the actual badges.

Would they drop one out of the three (Z06, Grandsport or ZR1)? If you make the base model Grandsport like styling the marketing would be muddy. Maybe they would drop the Z06. It had a 8 plus year run.

C7 Z06 505 HP LS7
C7 ZR1 638 HP LS9

Both the LS7 and the LS9 are gone for good at the end of MY13.

As for what happens in 2015? My guess is there will be some sort of "Z-level" engine. My guess is a supercharged version of the 5.5 is a possibility, but I, also, don't rule-out a 6.2.

As for what happens in 2015? My guess is there will be some sort of "Z-level" engine. My guess is a supercharged version of the 5.5 is a possibility, but I, also, don't rule-out a 6.2.

I'll put my "guess" (can't afford money or drinks) on a Twin-Turbo 5.5L engine for the Z in 2015.

C7 Z06 505 HP LS7
C7 ZR1 638 HP LS9

I think the base model should be just that. Focus on maximum HP, performance, and handling, while keeping cost down with less creature comforts (other than some minimum level of computer that ALL modern cars will have), less GS-like styling, no wide body, etc. No need for more HP than the current C6, imo.

No more LS engines after MY 2013. On to the Gen V small block for the C7, with DI and a higher compression ratio. More bang for the buck. With my limited marketing mentality, I say Chevy should make it an attainable next step-up from the Camaro. Keep it under $50K, if possible.

Just for reference, here are the 2012 production numbers (National Corvette Museum: 2012 Corvette Production Numbers Released):

24.2% base coupes
5.3% base convertibles
43.4% GS coupes
19.5% GS convertibles
4.1% Z06
3.5% ZRs
----------------------
11,647 total

With these numbers in mind, next generation hype should be sufficient for high sales (maybe I should say "good" instead) of a base model coupe for MY 2014. The base model vert didn't seem overly popular for 2012, although the GS vert did quite well. So, who knows what Chevy's thinking will be regarding rolling out the convertible C7. It will be interesting to see the impact of the awesome 427 convertible on production and sales numbers, and how that affects Chevy's thinking going forward.

I don't see how Chevy could wait any longer than MY 2015 to introduce the GS and GS vert, which made up 62.9% of MY 2012 production. I don't think the GS needs additional HP to set it apart from the base model. As is the case with the C6, better styling (I love the "shark" vertical vents), badging, and of course, better handling & performance would keep GS buyers feeling they had purchased something special. And, a wider body will accomodate, well... wider bodies, perhaps making the GS the preferred package for Boomers and older Gen X types, while the smaller, more affordable, base model appeals to the younger crowd?

The ZR1, which would logically be the last C7 introduced, is the one that might seem at risk. But, Chevy needs the ZR1 brand for prestige, and in order to compete on the world stage. Although, the Z06 is certainly no slouch in that department. Maybe it's the Z06 that would go away? Barely more production numbers in 2012 than the ZR1. Did Chevy make enough money from the Z06? I want my next Corvette to be a Z06, so I hope it doesn't go away!

Last edited:
I think Huskerman nailed it.

Base, Gran Sport, ZO6, ZR1. You can toss the 427 convertible in there somewhere, too, just for marketing pizzazz. And Hib ... don't mention politics or Obama. I did that a few threads back and got stomped into the ground by the haters. Bad Juju.

Base, Gran Sport, ZO6, ZR1. You can toss the 427 convertible in there somewhere, too, just for marketing pizzazz. And Hib ... don't mention politics or Obama. I did that a few threads back and got stomped into the ground by the haters. Bad Juju.

Hib's Obama remark makes no sense at all. The Prez is GM's number one cheerleader, and has boosts the "Big Three" every chance he gets. A insignificant 11,000 vehicle run will have little impact on CAFE. Right now GMs great sales of their 4 banger lines is what's really important. I believe the only issue that will impact the intro is the regular production date. Traditionally all other dates are spun off of the date regular production begins. That includes public intro, picture release dates, press days, order availability date etc. If all the mules and preproduction C7s running around don't uncover major problems, January is probably a go, assuming suppliers and Bowling Green assembly keep to their timelines.

OK, as of today's date the intro is set for 01/13/'13 in Detroit. And, didn't Motor Trend "predict" not long ago that the base coupe would debut first, followed by the convertible about 6 months later...with (specifically) the GS not following until '15?

Hib's Obama remark makes no sense at all. The Prez is GM's number one cheerleader, and has boosts the "Big Three" every chance he gets. A insignificant 11,000 vehicle run will have little impact on CAFE. Right now GMs great sales of their 4 banger lines is what's really important. I believe the only issue that will impact the intro is the regular production date. Traditionally all other dates are spun off of the date regular production begins. That includes public intro, picture release dates, press days, order availability date etc. If all the mules and preproduction C7s running around don't uncover major problems, January is probably a go, assuming suppliers and Bowling Green assembly keep to their timelines.

Absoluttttlllleeey,

Here's a question, is Hib even allowed within the City limits of Detroit, never mind getting into the Auto Show. Remember it gets awful cold up there....., and Carlisle Blue might be mistaken for an ice sculptor....
:cool!:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom