Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Info

Maybe we'll see direct injection which usually gives about 8 tp 14 percent better hp and fuel efficiency too?

If I remember correctly the 3.6 liter Direct injection in my 08 CTS offered 50 extra hp over the 3.6 non DI motor (304 vs 255hp (almost 20 percent higher hp) and I think the gas mileage was one or two mpg better too)

I believe with direct injection the manufacturer has the option of variable improvements to lean either towards greater fuel economy or higher HP depending on what the manufacturer wants more in that particular application. (thats what the jaguar engineer told me while we were at monticello raceway during its introduction.) He had told me Jaguar could have made more than 510 hp in their supercharged DI V8 but decided to use the Direct injection to improve fuel economy and still get 510 hp.

Google this: c7 Corvette cancelled

Hib-

Didn't this happen once before??? As in, with the C5? ;shrug GM pulled the C5 off out of the C4's budget (or something to that effect).

I guess it is more like the C7 is on design "hiatus" (reference the '10 Camaro). :chuckle

A smaller engine is going to either need a supercharger or more rpm to make the power close to the current LS3.

I was thinking the same thing.

If I recall, a lot of folks in the '80s & '90s SC'ed the 305s with great success because of the smaller bores. Supposedly, the 305 was a decent candidate because the cylinder walls were slightly thicker due to the smaller bores.

Maybe we'll see direct injection which usually gives about 8 tp 14 percent better hp and fuel efficiency too?

If I remember correctly the 3.6 liter Direct injection in my 08 CTS offered 50 extra hp over the 3.6 non DI motor (304 vs 255hp (almost 20 percent higher hp) and I think the gas mileage was one or two mpg better too)

I believe with direct injection the manufacturer has the option of variable improvements to lean either towards greater fuel economy or higher HP depending on what the manufacturer wants more in that particular application. (thats what the jaguar engineer told me while we were at monticello raceway during its introduction.) He had told me Jaguar could have made more than 510 hp in their supercharged DI V8 but decided to use the Direct injection to improve fuel economy and still get 510 hp.
Going from 6.2L down to 5.5L is about a 10% reduction in displacement.
If DI can give a 10% increase in power, that would leave the HP unchanged.

But as you mentioned, the extra efficiency of DI can be used to get either more power, or more economy, or a little of both.

Going from 6.2L down to 5.5L is about a 10% reduction in displacement.
If DI can give a 10% increase in power, that would leave the HP unchanged.

But as you mentioned, the extra efficiency of DI can be used to get either more power, or more economy, or a little of both.

On the net right now...those in the know are saying GM is getting 20 to 25 percent increase in hp...True gm tends to retune their motors with a slighter greater balance towards fuel efficiency..

Engine is being developed locally in St Catharines. Is aluminum with DI and there are no carryovers from other small blocks(all new design, cam in different place). Tests have shown about 20-25% more horsepower.

Getting 470hp from the 5.5 seems about right.. maybe 450 on the low end for the C7..

Weight drop of about 150 lbs is about all I expect from the C7 but thats just a guess...3150 curb weight for the C7..down 150 lbs from 3300 for the c6

My hope is for a DSG transmission to add to performance and real world fuel efficiency too..

My recollection is that the LS3 was developed for big pickups and then adapted to the Corvette. That sounds reasonable, I don't think GM can afford to develop a "Corvette/Camaro-only" engine in these times.

This new engine under development sounds like it would be good for the pickups, but I don't know what the truck lineup is supposed to be like in coming years.

My recollection is that the LS3 was developed for big pickups and then adapted to the Corvette. That sounds reasonable, I don't think GM can afford to develop a "Corvette/Camaro-only" engine in these times.

This new engine under development sounds like it would be good for the pickups, but I don't know what the truck lineup is supposed to be like in coming years.

Absolutely.

Besides... the L48 was a truck engine. :L

Seems like GM has a nice historical reference point there for throwing truck motors in sports cars.

just a comment, wondering how many people who posted on this thread have read the book " All Corvettes are Red '. It is an inside look into c5 development that covered all these elements mentioned in this thread economy,mid engine,styling politics etc. a remarkable book. I believe it is mandatory to continue the vette on schedule due to its status/history .It is an american icon. Maybe an electric vette lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom