Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Z06 in the Silver State Classic Challenge

Fitz

Corvette
2015 Velocity Yellow Z06/Z07 Coupe
Anybody except me entered in the Silver State Classic Challenge on September 17th - 20th, 2015? I'll be there with ZO6 #399 and I hope to see some of you! 90 miles down Nevada 318 with no traffic, no police and no speed limit! What ELSE is there to do with a ZO6? IMG_1916.jpg

Sounds like fun! Post results!:happyanim:

SUPER! :thumb

what class did you enter into?

Have you run it before?

I haven't run it before so, I am in the dumb class.;LOL
lol...its on my list to do next year.....probably drag it out in my trailer and drag it back to Ohio.....my back doesnt like real long rides in the Z...didnt like them in my '03 Z, doubt it is any better in this new one.....the smile factor is good.....but my back usually rules my world of what I do and dont do.....:happyanim:

Still prepping for the Silver State Classic Challenge. Since they put me in "Dumb Class" I took the opportunity to enroll in the ZO6 Driving school at Ron Fellows Racing School. Ride along with me and my instructor on my day 2 orientation lap and you will see just how quick a 2015 Z06 really is! Just follow the link:
Ron Fellows Racing School Instructor Lap.mp4 Video by BWFitz | Photobucket

38 days and counting.......garfield-f12-30.gif

Car prep is now done. Local Motors Harness Bar and 6 point harnesses for me and the Navigator are in, Fluids, brakes tires have been checked and my Navigator has been checked out on several trial runs on the Geo Trip rally computer. Last year, first place in this class finished within ONE MILLISECOND of the target time calculated from the average speed bracket for that class so my nav and I have spent a great deal of time with stopwatches and lots of boring spreadsheets getting this timing thing down. We may not place first but we will not be last, either! After all, the navigator is a real bonafide rocket scientist. I just do the driving. Off to Las Vegas for the qualifying school on Thursday at 6:00 AM (UGH), parade to Ely, car show on Saturday then race Sunday Film at 11 on Sunday September 20!:happyanim:

Last edited:
We did it!

Silver State is just a memory! False start by the race timers caused a two minute delay in our start and really messed up the rally computer but our average was 99.778 MPH with a 7.2 second late arrival after 90 miles. My lovely navigator did that with just course notes and a cell phone stopwatch app! If you haven't done this it is the greatest rush you can have and not get arrested.
SSCC Start.jpgIMG_2101-1.jpgIMG_2104-1.jpg

As rookies we did OK. The OFRT (Old Fart Racing Team) didn't toss us off the team....yet! It was a real pleasure to meet so many great people AND we got to watch our friends Dave Bauer and Bob Allyn set the trap speed record...230 MPHIMG_2040-1.jpg in their Winston Cup Monte Carlo.

I'll do better than results. I'll post a link to a PDR video of the run!:beer

It took 6 months but I did FINALLY figure out how to get a video this large on U-Tube...56 mins long so there are places you can just skip over. My Navigator got carsick just before the narrows so I slowed WAY down.

150920 094342 00016 - YouTube

The starter got us out of order at the start line so there's about two minutes of staring at a flagman!

Not really an update...but new video! I ran the Nevada Open Road Challenge this past Sunday once again but this time in the Grand Touring 125 mph class. Z06 # 399 PDR video: 160514 084420 00018 - YouTube

Narrows Exit.jpg

Did it again Sept 2016! This time I had a Navigator and she brought us in 0.43 seconds late for a third place finish in the 135 MPH class. HOOAH! Hope to see a few of you for the Nevada Open May 18th - 21st, 2017. #399 is in the 145 MPH class this time.399.png

Attachments

• Silver State 2016 top speed.png
    Silver State 2016 top speed.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Going back again! This time NORC the third week in may, 2017. Last fall we placed third in the 135 MPH class so we are trying 145 this time 'round. For all you Walter Mitty's out there that daydream your lives away the time has come to get off your backside and do what my Grandfather told me: Study like you'll live forever and live like you will die tomorrow. Let's see a few more forum guys and ladies out for the best time you can have in a car!
20150920_090917-1.jpg

Last edited:
Can a couple of us enter this race at the last minute kind of a thing (2 cars)? Do you need a navigator or just run it alone for the sake of driving as fast as your entry class will allow and not really trying to win but just the experience of the race and the people you will meet? Can a rookie enter any speed class he wants or are we restricted to a certain top end because we haven't done it before? Just curious. sounds like a blast.

Can a couple of us enter this race at the last minute kind of a thing (2 cars)? Do you need a navigator or just run it alone for the sake of driving as fast as your entry class will allow and not really trying to win but just the experience of the race and the people you will meet? Can a rookie enter any speed class he wants or are we restricted to a certain top end because we haven't done it before? Just curious. sounds like a blast.

Anybody can enter up to the week before the event. You won't need a nav but you will be stuck in 'Touring'; 5 classes 5 mph apart between 95-115 mph with a max speed on the course of 124 MPH. The state of Nevada rents the road to the LLC hosting the event BUT they maintain legal jurisdiction over the highway during the event. There are radar traps manned by the highway patrol spread along the course and they make sure that really bad things happen to people who disregard their tech speed. This event lasts 4 days; you will meet some VERY interesting people and have a great time. Attached is the new rulebook. Read the parts on safety equipment and especially Page 8 item 2. That's the part about what happens when you bust tech. Try to imagine going to traffic court for a speeding ticket at a speed that exceeds twice the posted speed limit!:mad

View attachment 2017_rulebook.pdf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom