Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cabin Insulation Suggestions

dk1977

Corvette
1977 White Coupe
I want to super insulate the cabin of my '77, to help keep down heat and road noise. I have searched the web and there are numerous suppliers out there. Some glue down, some self stick, etc. I'm sure someone has done this before. Any tips on application, specific product & suppliers would be appreciated.

Bob Chadwick has an excellent web page that will show you step by step how he did his and what he used,you can try the search at the top of the page for insulation..there has been a lot done with this...

A good inexpensive product is sold my you large building supply stores, here it is sold my home depo. It is Duct insulation. It is about 1/8 to 3/16 thick, sell sticking, up to 12 inches wide and is used on furnaces to insulate them. I 1st used dynamate then covered that is this duct insulation.

I used Reflectix and a thin carpet "pad"....it was more of a juke backing or such...about 1/8 thin and went over the relfectix that i had put down first...then brand new carpeting. works great, take your time and do it right.
Chas

I have my car apart doing an engine transplant right now. I talked to these guys last year, http://www.coollizard.com/ then again yesterday. I'm right on the edge of using this stuff. I've insulated with the reflectix and similar stuff and it works pretty good, but it cannot provide the uniform coverage like this spray on material can. If it's as good as I've heard I think it's well worth serious consideration. If you're taking out your carpets anyway you're 90% there. The material remains flexible and will not be harmed by standing on it as I first thought and it's very, very thin, on the order of .050 thick. That's less than 1/16th of an inch so the impact on clearances is minimal.

I took some temp measurements on the firewall last summer, you'd be amazed how hot the heater/air cond box gets from the exhaust manifold. All that heat is transferred to the ductwork which eventually finds it's way into the cabin no matter how good the seals are.

If I go down this road I'll take pictures and document the process but it's something you might consider.

Bill

Bill,

I remember your post on this earlier. I have been considering it for the a/c box, etc. as well. As I recall, it was not cheap.

Looking forward to your pictures.

I have a few pics of my 77 done with reflectix in a link on my homepage.

Bob Chadwick said:
Haven't seen you post in a while Steve. How are things going?

Doing fine..been working alot..not much time for the Vette, but its getting done.. If I can just get the int back in..finished all the inst. panels this weekend. Hope you and the family are well..

Steve

Cabin Insulation

I recently installed KoolMat in my 71 LT-1 and the difference is incredible. Visit the KoolMat website and it will give you a like to some pics of it being installed on a Vette. It is a lot of work, as you need to use 3-M spray adhesive to put it down.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom