Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CAGS Bypass woes

Smittybilt

Corvette
2005 C6 Coupe Z51 Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic
Help!!!! Have had my C6 for less than a month now and already the 1to4 CAGS is driving me crazy. So I decided to order one of these CAGS bypass kits from Westcoastcorvette. Well it came and when I tried to install it I was able to get the plug onto the transmission portion on but was not able to get the plug for the harness to go on. I tried every possible trick and angle but came to the conclusion that the socket size is to small for the plug on the harness. Has anyone ever had this problem. If so where can I get one that fits. Thanks for any help. Smitty

HI there,
Are you sure that you have the correct plug???
Are you Z51 or standard suspension????
Z51 transmissions have more plugs in that area, so you might have them confused.
Allthebest, c4c5

I have the Z51 transmision. I am pretty sure it's the right plug. What gives?Thanks. Smitty

If I remember correctly, you need to find the cable that GM has conveniently labeled "skip shift." Don't know why they would put a tag on that particular line since surely nobody would be interested in finding it!

Ok;
Thanks all. Found the right harness. And it even works without any lights going on in the information center. I can't believe how any wires are plugged into the bottom of this car. Smitty

Cags Eliminator to be ordered this week. Build date for my Victory Red coupe is 1/24 package includes 6 spd manual, 1 sb, Z51 and xm radio . For Juvat pilot my user name is the plate to be on the back of the vette. I was an F-4 driver for 21 plus years including four tours in Vietnam. still flying and only logging time on those flights that include upside down. Take care and With luck my wife and I will take delivery of this our first vette the second week in Feb in Bowling Green ..... need good weather. Jack

Check 6; (Do you belong to the RRVFPA?)
Plate on my C6 (when I get it) will be Fly F-16. Spent 7 years flying F-4's including 2 tours in SEA; spent last 4 of 21 years flying F-16 at Hill, Kunsan, and Luke. Hope everything works out for your February delivery and hope you enjoy your C6. I'm also planning on NCM delivery, but so far, my dealer's miniscule allocation has prevented even placing my order . . . so I'm thinking it will be next April or perhaps even May before I take delivery. Can hardly wait!
Take care, and check 6;
JuvatPilot

For Juvatpilot:
Yes but have not continued current for many years and no excuse for letting it slide. If interested look up a web site "Chico the Gunfighter" I was one of the five pilots to fly that single configured F4 out of the Stormy FAC unit. Lots of time north low and fast...... just like a vette. At the other extreme air to air is a rush.
Drop an e-mail if you care at jacksand@the-cia.net .
Got my build DATE and VIN yesterday and also talked to Gary at the NCM and plan on taking delivery on 14 Feb. Getting excited Cheers Jack

Check6-thanks for your service!

Jack,
Back when you were serving in Vietnam ( thank you ) I was in AFROTC in college. It got so bad that the commandant ordered us carry our uniforms to drill rather than wear them because of all the spit and other things that got thrown on us on the campus. We didn't mind the abuse. We were proud to wear the uniform. The heck with em. He just didn't want us messy for inspection.

There were some of us in college back then who were loyal to those serving. Being an F4 pilot was my dream until my flight physical at the end of my soph year. I thought I was healthy but failed badly. That summer I got my SS396 Camaro. It helped some.

I regreted the day when our air guard unit here locally stopped flying the F4's. At least I could listen and look at those beautiful machines.

If it hadn't been for the failed physical we mighta met up over there. Thanks again for your service and thanks as well to any other vet who might read this post. Being able to serve is an honor and privelege. At least this is the feeling of one who wanted to but could not.

John

Thanks John:

Very nice comments. The F4 was a great machine and brought me back from places the Devil himself would not want to go. If interested do a google search for this "Chico the Gunfighter" It will take you to a web page of the artist Wade Myers who painted a picture of a one of a kind specially configured F4 E. There were only five of us that ever flew it and I was the youngest and flew the most missions. Low, alone and fast in North VietNam and armed. That was one of my four tours. Sorry to get off topic, but it reminded me I need to order my CAGS eliminator today. My car wil be built a week from today. Cheers to all, Thanks again John
Jack

Smittybilt said:
Ok;
Thanks all. Found the right harness. And it even works without any lights going on in the information center. I can't believe how any wires are plugged into the bottom of this car. Smitty
I bought a CAGS eliminator months before I even bought the car, since I knew having the thing drop into fourth would drive me crazy, and it has! I just got around to finally installing the kit today.Mine was purchased from WCC, also. It fits well, has a cap to protect the unused harness, and was a piece of cake to install.

Yours may be different, but on my 2006, the instrument panel *does* still light the "1 --> 4" indicator on the panel, but does not force the shift to 4th gear, any longer.

Someone on another forum had said to "just learn to drive to avoid triggering it", and I laugh at that because I drive very conservatively 90% of the time, and the CAGs was driving me crazy all the time. The way I look at it: Why should I alter my good habits and waste gas just to work around the machine? Instead, I'll put in effort towards make the machine match *MY* expectations -- that is what enjoying a car like this is all about, IMHO.

self1 said:
Someone on another forum had said to "just learn to drive to avoid triggering it", and I laugh at that because I drive very conservatively 90% of the time, and the CAGs was driving me crazy all the time. .

The 1>4 warning light has never come on in my C6. I bought it used from a dealer and have driven it in most road conditions, very high speed, in heavy traffic, cruising. Maybe I change from 1st > 2nd fairly quickly but does that indicate that the CAGS eliminator has been fitted. I am abit confused. When it comes on is it because you are holding on to 1st gear longer than me/ driving in traffic in 1st? When would it come on and why?
This is what the manual says
One to Four Shift Light
(Manual Transmission)
When this light comes on,
you can only shift from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4)
instead of FIRST (1) to
SECOND (2).
You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to turn
off this feature. This helps you get the best possible
fuel economy.
After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift to a
lower gear if you prefer.
Notice:
Forcing the shift lever into any gear except
FOURTH (4) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light comes
on may damage the transmission. Shift only from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when the light comes on.

This light will come on when:​
The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),

you are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and

you are 21 percent throttle or less.
Can someone clarify this for me?

HI there,
Basically, you have to be very light on the gas, engine should be at operating temperature, and between 24 and 31 km hr.
Thats it. If you dont drive within the parameters above, it will never come on.
Allthebest, c4c5

tony@scotland said:
The 1>4 warning light has never come on in my C6. I bought it used from a dealer

When would it come on and why?

This light will come on when:​
The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),

you are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and

you are 21 percent throttle or less.
Can someone clarify this for me?

I think the answer is right in the information you already provided:

On a stock C6 MN6, by design, when you are at operating temp, light throttle, and almost 20 MPH forward speed, the light will come on, and you will be unable to select second gear.

If yours is not doing that, my best guess is that it has been previously disabled with an 'edit' program, or it is simply broken somehow.

For instance, I suppose it's also possible a faulty TPS sensor could interfere or a temp sensor could be faulty/disconnected. It is designed to not skip-shift when cold, so that the engine is not "lugged" prior to warm-up... or your driving habits are just always more agressive than 22% throttle...

In any event, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about, unless you have another symptom!

:beer

if you go to get your car dyno tuned when they install the new settings they can put the first to fourth shift at such low perameters that it doesnt even acknowledge it so you dont have to buy the shift eliminator that way no worries on how to hook it up maybe when you got the car from the dealer they have already changed the settings on it

What is a CAGS eliminator and what does it do? I have C6 V-yellow on the way "A-6", just wondering if its something I should look into...

Thanks

The CAGS elimination is not something that applies to an auto. tranny....manual tranny only.

I have owned either a c5 (2003 Z06) or my current 2006 C6 vet since Sept 2002 and the 'skip shift' requirement has only come up less then half-dozen times.
I..too.thought something was either broken or wrong....
but Just like the previous replies it just depends on a lot of parameters including the constant varible of just how much throttle you are appling....
in my opinion...it just is not a big enough deal to even warrent buying the eliminator.

I never really understood all the fuss about the 1-4 shift. I've owned 2 C5's and now a "05" C6. I drive to and in Manhattan, NYC everyday. Bumper to bumper at times. When I see that light come on and it's rare I either rev past it or slow down depending on the situation. To each his own and this is JMO.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom