Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

California Emissions

Corvette
1985 White/Silver Coupe, 2001 Pewter Coupe,Z51,6sp
Still looking for my 6 speed 2001 .... :D

Does a car with RPO NC1 and YF5 - California Emissions, have anymore plumbing or a more complicated system then a non YF5 car? The car is from southern California.

The owner says: Teflon Rings, replaced by GM. What's that all about? Is this to do with the 01's that had an oil burning problem?

Ron ... :confused

If my memory serves me correctly California Emmission C5's all had pre-cats which are small catalytic converters (pup-cats) between the exhaust manifold and the main cats. A total of 4 catalytic converters.....
:beer

I think that the only difference between CA emissions and Federal emissions is that there was more testing done for the CA emissions :) Same setup, more tests.

Tom73 said:
I think that the only difference between CA emissions and Federal emissions is that there was more testing done for the CA emissions :) Same setup, more tests.
We may both be wrong but I belive Tom is correct. A certain number of cars shipped into California are pulled for extensive smog testing. There is no physical difference in the cars, just the amount of testing.

The CA cars are the same as the 49-state cars. There should be an underhood sticker that says it is 50-state legal, or that it meets CA Air Resources Board standards--that is pretty much the extent of the difference, if any--just the sticker.

S-TEE said:
The CA cars are the same as the 49-state cars. There should be an underhood sticker that says it is 50-state legal, or that it meets CA Air Resources Board standards--that is pretty much the extent of the difference, if any--just the sticker.

That is correct. I got mine from GA and it passed in CA with flying colors.

Rick

Like the others have said, the C5 qualifies as a low emission vehicle. I actually read that in Car & Driver.

What kind of testing do they do in CA? For cars '96 and up in IL, they just plug in the OBDII and if it doesn't throw a code, the car passes. For cars pre-'96, they actually run it on the rollers and take exhaust samples at various speeds from 20mph to 55mph.

They do the rollers, OBDII test, cats, visual check, gas cap.

Rick

1qwik99 said:
They do the rollers, OBDII test, cats, visual check, gas cap.

Rick

They do all of them? That's very strict testing!

Edmond said:
They do all of them? That's very strict testing!

They only do the smog test on a new vehicle if it is not certified for CA. After that, at least for 04 and up vehicles, you don't need testing for 6 yrs, IIRC

What happens if you fail emissions?

Here, if you can't pass by your due date, you can't buy a registration sticker and they'll suspend your plates.:eyerole I'm not complaining but with all the other problems like violent crime in Cook County and a big budget deficit, I figured that emissions wouldn't be so high on the priority list.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom