Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

caliper bleeding valve broken

wipeout

Corvette
77 black coupe
Hi,

I was changing my brake flex hoses on my car today and I noticed that one of the bleeder valves was broken off.

Is there anyway that I can get the rest of it out or am I looking at buying yet another new caliper.

It broke off flush with the caliper so I would have to drill it out or something??

I also got my website on my new server. So if you would like to see my vette video you can see it here http://www.datingsas.com/other.php . Its pretty sweet.

You'll have to drill it out most likely, and it isn't an easy job, at least it wasn't going from my own experience with the same situation.

I had the same situation on my car, 2 of them on the rears. I decided to take off the caliper so I could work on it easily and was sucessful drilling it out. I used a relatively small drill so I wouldn't damage the threads then worked my way up to a bigger size. When I got to a size closest to the threads, the bottom part of the bleeder came right off, then I was able to unthread the rest of it. The bottom part is slightly smaller in diameter than the threads so get ready for it to separate so you won't damage the seat. I didn't find it too bad, just be careful and take your time. It's worth a try for sure, most likely will save you the cost of a new calipers.

Hi,

I forgot I had these drill out bits that supposed to take such stubborn bolts out. I might just try that and see what happens. Let you know what happens.

If that fails im just gonna drill it out.

Try a set of "easy outs". You can get them at Sears. They look like a drill bit but are tapered and have a reverse spiral to unscrew broken off bolts or whatever. Bolts must have a hole drilled into them first. If the bleeder has any hole in it then tap the correct size easy out into the hole with a small hammer, turn it counter clock wise with a T handle or cresent wrench. It should screw out.

I can vouch for the easy-outs as well. That bleeder screw should come out easily.

Be careful with the easy outs. I had a '66 once in the same situation and the easy out broke in the calipher. I had to wind up with a machinist grinding it out and a welder rebuilding it. Fortunatly it only cost me a case of beer (friends), but alot of grief.

easy outs were designed for that type of job. a good set should have the tensile strength to stand up to a reasonable amount of torque. try to drill as large a hole in what's left as possible so that the easy out that you use will be a bit larger in size. since they are reverse threaded, i personally wouldn't ever take a hammer to them to set them, they should start threading themselves if you drill a hole large enough for the tip of the easy out to fit into comfortably so that a reasonable portion of the threads are into the drilled hole. i might try a bit of rust buster or a similar product around the fitting first (before drilling the hole) to try to break down a bit of the rust and road grime from around the fitting.

steve

if you have to use a drill, try using a left handed drill it may come out while your drilling, after you have it drilled out then try the ease-out

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom