Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caliper Rebuild

socor7

Corvette
1976 White with red Int 4 speed
I just noticed that my right front caliper is leaking, I am assuming that is needs rebuilt, is there a complete kit that some one has used before to rebuild the caliper? How difficult of a job is it? Do I need to replace the pistons of just the o rings? How will I know if I need to hone the piston walls?

Thanks,

Drew

I just did both my fronts for the same reason. I replaced the pistons and all the "O" rings but depending on the shape of the pistons you might not have to. You can tell if you have a S/S caliper by looking inside after you get it apart, if it is you'll see the shiney S/S sleeve inside. DO NOT HONE A S/S SLEEVED CALIPER. Just clean them up with a non abrasive cleaner.

I set up a table to keep everything clean and in order, and it was no big deal to do. If you're mechanical at all you should have no trouble with it, just do things in order and keep stuff clean when reassembling them. Look on corvettefaq board there's a pretty helpful description on how to do it.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joeveto/O_Ring_Instructions.shtml

A board member suggested to me to loosten the caliper bolts while they're still on the car to get the best leverage. It was good advice, they're really tight.

As far as where to get the parts: Ecklers, VBP etc, all have them. Do Not Use Duntov for parts under any circumstances.

Good luck

Bill

When you order new parts, be aware that there are two kinds of seals for the pistons, o-ring or lip seal. Check which you have first.

How do I tell if it is and o-ring or a lip seal?

Thanks

Drew

You can see this if you take one piston out and look at the seal. The o-ring type is just that - an o-ring, with a circular-cross section. The lip seal is more triangular in the cross-section, with a sharp edge that seals against the cylinder wall.

Caliper rebuilding is a very simple job requiring just a bit of patience and careful observation. You may have difficulty finding someone who actually carries rebuild kits and might have to special order it.

When you disassemble the caliper, look at the bore that the piston moves in very carefully. If there is any scarring or pitting you need to have them resleaved. Oth, installing the new seals and reassembling is very easy. Do one at a time. That way you have an example of how they look should you get lost.

Btw, if you have a stuck piston, use LOW air pressure, in the bleeder hole to force it out. Cover the piston with a heavy towel, hold your hand over the piston and start out with very low pressure. Increase the air pressure but certainly don't go very high at all. When it lets loose, if the pressure is too high, it will shoot across the room and do damage.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom