Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway B2K question

jnst2

I am thinking of what I will buy next and I think a Callaway would be awesome. I was looking at used 308s and Lotus Esprits but the high maintenance costs, poor reliability, parts availabilty problems, and not too great of performance turned me off. I would like something exotic, reliable, and on the rare side so I think a Callaway B2K is the way to go. I think an 1988 - 1989 may be the way to go but not sure. I had a plain 90 vette convertible. I really did not like the dash in the 90, I think the 84-89 dash is much better.

What other Callaway options should I look for on the B2k package that were factory authorized?

It appears that after 1989 there are no automatics made, I think I would want an automatic so the wife could drive it too. Are the automatics decent or are they dogs?

Did that 100 plus package come on any automatics? How rare is it on automatics?

An 88 or 89 Aerobody Convertible seems nice but it looks like they only made 3 for 88 and 2 for 89.

Welcome to the Callaway Forum @ the :CAC

I am with you - the flat dash cars are more attractive to me than the curved dash cars. Personal preferances, that's all :cool

There was a RARE leather interior which was door panels, at a minimum - FEW cars had that. You already mentioned the 100+ option and more than likely, it would be on an 88 that you might find that - some others are out there... There was an 88 Automatic Convertibel w/ the 100+ on it. Magic Dragon looked at the car but then lost track of it - he did not buy it, but now wished he had ;)

The last Aero Convertible with automatic that I recall, also had the upgraded WonderBar inlet for the turbos :cool

Here is a picture of that one:

PICT0133.JPG

It sounds like you have discovered what we here know - these cars offer amazing performance, exotic looks, and relatively low maintenance costs compared to other cars out there in the same game - I hope this helps, Chris :beer

How reliable are these Callaway cars? Is it something that has so much power that the engine self destructs? Is there much extra maintenance with a Callaway than a standard vette?

Very well designed. No problems. I have been driving Callaway Twin Turbo's since 88-no major problems. For the last 6 months I have driven one daily (60 miles) and have only added fuel. They are great cars!

How reliable are these Callaway cars? Is it something that has so much power that the engine self destructs? Is there much extra maintenance with a Callaway than a standard vette?
Keep in mind I neither own, nor have owned, a B2k.

I would think for the cars you are shopping, a 308 or Esprit, that the Callaway would be far less maintenance, cheaper maintenance, more reliable, and blow the doors off of those cars.

However, I would suggest you read/search around this forum. There are a few people on the board, and stories of possibly others, that have had problems with the connecting rods. I believe this isn't a problem on '91 cars, or maybe just '91's with the "450" package/rating as they had different rods.

It certainly doesn't seem like something that self-destructs, though, and may not really be much of a concern. Just something to be informed about.

There also don't seem to be too many high-mileage cars, especially cars with 100k+ miles. Some of the '87s that pop up on eBay sometimes have some miles. They also had less boost and less power than '88+ cars which I presume reduces the risk of connecting rod failures. Though there have been a couple stories/people who had '87s that caught fire. Certainly not an epidemic of them or anything. But just something to be informed about.

Every model of car is going to have some problems, though. Certainly most B2K owners will probably never have rod problems. And of the cars you've mentioned, the B2K seems like a no-brainer to me. :) You might think about what exactly you want to do with the car. Are you going to drive it 30k miles a year, hammering it away from every stoplight? Drive it just on weekends? Certainly reliability will vary with each individual car and with how you use and treat it.

Again, just two cents from the peanut gallery.

Can you get an automatic 308 or Esprit?

I have a feeling most broken rods were due to excessive detonation due to owners not knowing what to listen for or feel.

as an ex-engine builder from Callaway, I would offer that the rods from '87-'89 were just the stock rods, weight matched, "good" rod bolts. The earlier engines were not as much power as the '90-'91 models and therefor did not have much problems w/rod failure. I would suggest that if you get an earlier car with the stock rods, have them changed out to any of the aftermarket forgings - Callaway went to Olivers in the later years - to make sure that threr are no problems. You surley DON"T want to have a rod failure, as that tends to tear up stuff!!!!!

I also chose to get a 1988 Callaway B2K over the Ferrari 308 back when I was looking for a good performer. Soon after, I got a second B2K, and now have the '88 for sale.

It is only for sale because it is too clean and original to modify or drive, especially since I got my newest addition of a supercharged 851rwhp Viper GTS. :)
side5.jpg

www.CruiseNights.com Online Cruise Night Information Site <-- click for info

88leftside.jpg

She(the Callaway) is convertible with perfect rear window, the wonderful Wonderbar intake, has newer tires all around and right at 30k miles, and I would take $30k.
Thanks for looking,:cool
Taylor 512-466-9818

I have a 87 B2K with just under 60,000 miles and she has had no real problems. Just routine maintenance (oil, brakes, yada yada) It is a blast to drive and very cheap on the wallet for upkeep. Pretty rare car too! And I know from experience, you would blow away any Ferrari from that vintage with the exception of the 288GTO and F40. I have made a few runs against a friend that has a 87 Testarossa and it wasn't even close. :beer

The GTS looks good Tyler.

What did the 100 plus package consist of. How do you know if the vehcile has it?

The custom made 100+ intake doesn't look anything like an L98 intake.
Ported heads, cam, rockers, pistons,rods and crank.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom