Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

*Callaway Corvettes and potentials for the future Thread*

R

reubenmc

easycreeper said:
A few more miles than most, but a nice looking car regardless. Check it out:

eBay link

Buy it now price was right at $35k......All I know about the overall condition of the car is what I see in the pictures......but does anyone think that is a little high for a car with 77k miles on it??

It's one of the lowest priced one owner B2K, Aerobody, Dymag ZF6 cars I've seen. I don't think the mileage makes that much difference if the car is well maintained. But that's easy for me to say as my car has over 50K miles on it.

I don't think it has traction control though unless there is an egg glued to the gas pedal.:L

It looks as though in my haste that I missed this thread at the top of the page. My apologies, Chris, for my mispost.

Car does indeed look well taken care of... Seats look to have been recovered, or the owner is very meticulous about entering/exiting the car. Emblems show no fading so the car was probably garaged the majority of the time. I would certainly drive this car with my head held high.:beer

Justin

P.S. Does the total on the invoice say $93,597.xx??:eek

re: 89 Aero B2K

Justin, no apologies needed :m Just trying to keep "for sale" threads neat and it just so happened your post was probably being typed right as I posted the topic about sale threads - again, no worries :m

re: the car - although I have not seen it in person, it does seem to represent itself well in pictures. As 90Callaway pointed out, traction control isn't on this car - it (ASR) wasn't avail for a few more years on C4's

re: price - looks like $67k , then a lot of "extras" added...

reubenmc said:
Buy it now price was right at $35k......All I know about the overall condition of the car is what I see in the pictures......but does anyone think that is a little high for a car with 77k miles on it??

Any comments about the prices or conditions in relation to value should be kept in line with what is generally considered proper etiquette when it comes to an ethical business dealing - Bottom line, unless you have gone and looked, driven, or know the history of a certain car, please do not make any disparaging remarks.

Would the original author of the quoted post please edit his response?

Don't knock it till you've seen it, driven it, and understand that no other '89 like this has been for sale this year. It's not high by any stretch.

Isn't it just easier to not reply on a question if it's to high or not?
I totaly agree to the "rules setup" that you can not downgrade the price of the Callaway without even have seen it.
But isn't it just easier to not reply to a question if the price is to high? I think it's a little weird that Reubens can't ask if the price is a little to high but Eric is convinced it is not?? Has Eric seen this Callaway?
It would be just as fair to keep away the positive reply's on price's as the negative IOM.
If you keep the positive and forbid the negative aren't you changing this forum to a sort of "carebear forum" ?

Groeten Peter.

Eric,

I believe that Reuben is asking a legitimate question, he is not knocking the car in any way. Cars depreciate with use - even collectibles so I see nothing wrong with asking the question. Of course if someone comes out and knocks the price without inspecting the car or having any facts about it - then that might be reason to complain. But until that happens your gripe is unsubstantiated.

-Luigi
:cool

The pending question of "is it high" would turn into a debate why it's good, bad or indifferent. It's not Carebear at all. It's called heading it off at the pass because there have been many cars that have been discussed in the same fashion. The sellers typically don't post here and if they did they would probably ask the people that trash the pricing of their car to edit their posts.

the thing that I've noticed on this forum is that there is a lot of critical discussion about cars that aren't represented here by their owners. I guess it's kinda like talking about someone behind their back.

Has anyone called the dealer in this case to let them know that they've mistakingly listed the ASR and it should probably be ABS?

Is this Aquaman or Eric lurking in disguise? :eyerole

Its a valid question and I would be upset if it were edited out by the moderator. The fact that the car has high mileage "for a collector" does not mean that it might not warrant the price. That depends on options, its condition and care, market forces, a willing buyer at that price, and by comparables. IF there is no other car similar for sale then it gets to set the current market price. I have no opinion either way since I am not researching to buy an '89 and every year car has its particulars which contribute to its market price. To me its a good looking Callaway and that is all I can say about it.

Find any "collector car" be it a callaway, Buick GNX, Hemi Cuda, or real Shelby Cobra and the same factors will come into play - the higher the mileage the lower the price (compared to other similar cars). Those are the facts, like it or not. This is not knocking the car but simple reality.

-Luigi
:cool

Hey Eric... How come you avoided talking to all the Callaway owners in Carlisle? It would not have been hard to say hi since you were there. Not sure what your issue is but if you don't want to associate with anyone why post on this forum at all? Do you still have your Callaway?

Yeah what is up with that? A quick Hello goes a long way .
90Callaway said:
Hey Eric... How come you avoided talking to all the Callaway owners in Carlisle? It would not have been hard to say hi since you were there. Not sure what your issue is but if you don't want to associate with anyone why post on this forum at all? Do you still have your Callaway?

Kevin, I didn’t hear from you at all in the last 2 years… and you’re cranky because I didn’t stop by and say at Carlisle? Double check which address you have for me, maybe those birthday and Xmas cards went to the wrong address!? I never got them! Just kidding, I know what you’re saying and sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet up. There were a lot of people that I ran into that day, but no one in particular that I was seeking out. I was there for less than 5 hours, started at the crack of dawn, and was back at work by 1pm. If I woulda stayed at Carlisle for 8 hours and said hi does that mean that I could post here? To answer your other question, yeap, I still have the Callaway. Look for it on your local newsstands in the October issue of GMHTP.Nice pictures of the Carebears too. I think those are the Carebears that Peer bought as an option and faithfully takes for a ride in his cars. I’d prefer something in a c-size cup or larger, but if you’re into animals, what can I say? :L

The idea of having the “for sale” information in one nice positive place is a great idea. In too many posts gone by there has been nothing but criticism of the cars from many different fronts. I would think that if the actual sellers of the cars posted here—the pricing criticism would not occur whatsoever. And, the initial question of “isn’t it high?” was only going to lead to discussion about why the price was high. High mileage? By whose standards? Just because you see most of these cars show up on Ebay with 20k miles? Comon! I have news for you… history repeats itself. If you’re looking for an education, do some research on what average or slightly above average high mileage L-88 Vettes are bringing for re-sale. For the couple hundred cars that are out there—they still sell for staggering prices, even if they have high mileage on the clock. A rare car is a rare car. Just because you watch the Callaway Ebay reality show, don’t get accustomed to it being gospel. Ebay is NOT the authority on collector car prices, yet. Maybe when they get their fraud department in gear and certify collector car inspections, things may get better. In the interim, I’d turn more towards the NCRS or Bloomington certifications before I’d believe anything on Ebay. It’s the truth, isn’t it?

Nothing’s been edited to date on any of the posts nor has there been any further discussion on high pricing or high mileage. So, I’m glad to see that I’ve (hopefully) nipped the criticisms in the bud early before anything in future post(s) degrade the salability of these cars. I’m hopeful that we can all come to an understanding of what is acceptable and unacceptable. If there’s any questions, kindly refer to the 89*2 first post of this topic. And please, if you’re going to comment on a car, take a step back and ask yourself if a close friend was selling his car, would you say the same thing? If it were your car? :)
Sincerely,

-EricVonHa

p.s. I do feel the love. I’m just trying to keep it that way!

Folks, while a healthy debate I suppose, was "bound to happen" at some point, I would like it to stay close to track.

I know there are some strong feelings about pricing & long term values and frankly, I do not think Reuben's post was way out of bounds, as he is wading into the market, and hasn't followed the market as long as some of might have been...
From my office chair, he was being respectful - otherwise, I know he would have edited his post if he felt so inclined. 90Callaway actually countered and closed the discussion right after his initial question was posted therefore, there was no real need to pursue further and make a mountain out of a molehill... I think his explanation was right on the mark with the fact there are simply too few of these cars that come on market to really get a side by side comparison - rather, one might be able to generalize the market a bit, but it is no exact science.

I will be splitting this portion of the thread away from the Callaway For sale thread, so the original portions stay and if the debate about values cares to continue, it shall do so in a respectable manner -

Please review your posts and make sure they fall within the guidelines here and as always, if you have issue with another, take it to e-mail or p.m.

Any questions, feel free to drop me a note -Thanks - Chris

Hey Eric I have emailed you on a couple of occasions and have not gotten a response back . I also saw you at Carlilse called your name you looked directly at me turned around and walked away while talking on the phone.We travel from around the country to Carlilse Pa and you don't even have the courtesy to say Hello. Where I come from that is just Rude. You knew we would all be there and you still come up with an excuse as you were to busy. Yet you can post on Corvette kill stories at an average of 2 posts a day. You have been absent for a year and come here to preach as how things should be done. I was upset that you of all people who were one of the first people on this forum would turn your back on the rest of us for so long . I hope you will change your habits and be a more active participant.

Whew!

Did anyone hear I gonna banned from CF.com for a week? :L

EricVonHa said:
Look for it on your local newsstands in the October issue of GMHTP.

Just FYI, I think it's the December issue.

EricVonHa said:
Just because you watch the Callaway Ebay reality show, don’t get accustomed to it being gospel. Ebay is NOT the authority on collector car prices, yet.
So, I’m glad to see that I’ve (hopefully) nipped the criticisms in the bud early before anything in future post(s) degrade the salability of these cars.

Just out of curiousity, if you don't think eBay prices of Callaways that are actually sold makes a difference on their prices, why would you think a few people discussing prices on a web forum would?

callaway4fun said:
and walked away while talking on the phone.We travel from around the country to Carlilse Pa and you don't even have the courtesy to say Hello. Where I come from that is just Rude. You knew we would all be there and you still come up with an excuse as you were to busy. Yet you can post on Corvette kill stories at an average of 2 posts a day. You have been absent for a year and come here to preach as how things should be done. I was upset that you of all people who were one of the first people on this forum would turn your back on the rest of us for so long . I hope you will change your habits and be a more active participant.

Call it what you may, rude, whatever, I was standing at the VB&P buying a ton of stuff for my race car when you walked by on the phone. You were on the phone, I was talking with the owner of VB&P. Is that what you're referring to? In the building?

If it wasn't, I took a ton of work related calls while there and didn't purposely walk or turn away from anyone. Tap me on the shoulder next time or something. Smack me upside the head if you need my attention!

I've been very vocal on-line, off-line and in-person about how cars for sale on this site are discussed. Head into any of the other Corvette sites and you will not see the other Corvette owners criticizing pricing, condition or mileage. It just doesn't happen. It has happened for a long time here, however. And, finally, it appears as though Chris is paying close attention. This is good. If things turn around, then I'll participate a little more often.

On a personal note, my Callaway passion is not the only car crazy hobby. There are two other turbo cars that tie up a fair amount of my time and I'm fairly active in racing both my other Vette and a Porsche ITC prepared car with a buddy of mine. You may have followed our participation in the One Lap of America too and the prep for that was insane. Work, racing, wrenching, girlfriend (and sorry to say it, but the order they appear in is the order in which they get attention all too often. Don't tell her that, she's very patient with me and I'm a lucky guy).

After all of that, I'm not making an excuse whatsoever. I have never devoted my full time attention to any one car and my participation in club type events has never been my thing. I've always been into the high speed end of things. I'd rather go out and burn tire and do some racing. Sorry, but shows and parades are just not me. I felt that the Bloomington Gold Special Collection recognition was probably the height of what I'd wish to achieve with this car and it was a great honor. And since then, it's been in under cover, well protected, and had more mileage put on it getting it on and off the trailer to do the GMHTP article then it has around my neighborhood. Sorry I'm not more active in this group, but it is what it is. I'm a car guy at heart and a part time Callaway enthusiast at the same time. :)

No in the building is not what I am referring to . But then again you see me and don't even say hello WTF. I tried to approach you near the parts section you were on the phone and I called your name you looked at me and turned around and walked away from me . There wasn't any body else near us you were a car lenght away from me and ignored me that was just two rows away from the Callaway display and our cars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom