Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway LM

LM005
Do you ever go to any local shows/car cruises?

Seen your helmet in one of the pics from Beavrun. Did you have your LM on the track?

Jim

Yes, have been at Beaver Run a number of times with the LM, M3 (E46 now gone) and once with the Z06. The pictures were from an event that was sponsored by the Beaver Run track for current and potential new members and for a new wing for the children's ward at the Beaver hospital. It was a full weekend event. The owners asked me to provide rides in the LM for a donation to the hospital during the noon break. Rides were also being given by a BMW group in new minis. I had asked Beaver Run to pick a select group of people (on the QT) for the LM rides. People began to line up in the paddock for a brisk ride around the track in the minis (for a small donation). No sooner did I stroll into the far end of the paddock, when the track announcer over the pa system said, "rides will also be given in the Callaway LM car". When everyone heard the invitation, the line for the LM got so long, that if I was able to ride everyone, I'd still be giving rides 2 years later. Joking of course!

LM005
Do you ever go to any local shows/car cruises?

Seen your helmet in one of the pics from Beavrun. Did you have your LM on the track?

Jim

One of the passengers that day was the owner of the Concept Carz website. He was encouraging me to push the car to the limits, like I needed some encouragement. See his write-up below. Little did he know, when the backend "coming a little loose", that was not planned. It was more like a 70mph drift, that had my heart beating a little faster, especially with the track filled with spectators and the Armco barrier to my right. He thanked me for the drifting exercise and I responded like "it was all planned for your benefit". I really should have known better.

Charity Rides

Rides were offered in various vehicles both on the main track and on the kart track. Proceeds went to charity. A Mazda RX-8 complete with a professional driver was giving rides on the kart track throughout the day. I took advantage of this opportunity multiple times. The experience was nothing short of amazing. The car was left in second gear and the foot was fully matted to the floor. The course was challenging with many turns and long straight areas. The top speed was around 60 mph, but diving into a sharp corner built for go-karts was enough to keep me holding on to door-handles just to stay in the seat. It did not feel like a rear-wheel drive vehicle at all, the back never once gave signs of breaking free.

Then it was off to the main track where professional drivers were giving rides in MINI's and a Callaway LM, all for charity. The ride in the supercharged convertible MINI was an experience. We hit 95 mph on the back straight-away before slowing to make the corner. The fun was in the turns. The car was very responsive and went where it was supposed to with very little difficulty. Next was a Callaway LM. This was not one of the vehicles that raced in the 1996 LeMans race, but rather one prepared to close specifications and referred to by the owner/driver as the 'sister vehicle'. The seats were comfortable, a luxury the race-prepared versions probably did without. The car was sporting nearly 500 hp, sat low, had a five-point harness, and a roll cage. The acceleration pushed me deep into the seat and first up where two corners which it had no problem navigating through. Half-way through the third corner the driver pushed the accelerator to the floor. This was evident by the loud engine noise and the back end coming 'a little loose.' On the back straight-away it easily tackled 100 mph. The car was amazing and the closest I have come to riding in a LeMans car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom