Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway or Lingenfelter

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
If someone had the $18,000 or so to upgrade their C7 Z06 to Callaway's 757 hp or Lingenfelter's 800 hp; which would be the best one to get and why? Anyone out there unhappy with either upgrade? There are trade-offs on anything you do to your Z06. Does one out shine the other in overall pros and cons?

The first question, what do you plan to do with the increased power? Next, will the stock drive train handle the power for the application you have chosen?

I'd like to do better in the drag races and on freeway entrances and passing on 2 lane roads. I assumed that these two reputable companies wouldn't be adding hp beyond what the car will handle and cause problems. The 650 hp just doesn't quite do "it all" for me. 750/800 I can imagine would. Even Tadge said the 650 was a little "doggy" or something like that compared to the new ZR1 and I think I would probably agree with that. It truly needs a little more if you have some racing blood in your veins. It sounds crazy but it's not really.

There's always Katech to consider.
Check out Hib's "blue bullet" posts.

I'd like to do better in the drag races and on freeway entrances and passing on 2 lane roads. I assumed that these two reputable companies wouldn't be adding hp beyond what the car will handle and cause problems. The 650 hp just doesn't quite do "it all" for me. 750/800 I can imagine would. Even Tadge said the 650 was a little "doggy" or something like that compared to the new ZR1 and I think I would probably agree with that. It truly needs a little more if you have some racing blood in your veins. It sounds crazy but it's not really.

First, GM's 650 is flywheel horsepower; not Rear Wheel Horse Power. 650 RWHP is more than 700 or so FWHP.. The reason is drive trains have significant losses.

Of course they are reputable and two of the best. Tell either you want 750-800 RWHP, then ask what drive train changes are needed to handle it. As you mentioned drag racing, you mean high RPM launches, drag radials etc?
Every component of any car including a Corvette has a horsepower rating and the engine can be easily built to exceed that by too much.

I've had racing blood in my veins since I was 16 and I'm past retirement age. Low 10s with a naturally aspirated BBC and low 11s SBC. Today's toy is quicker yet with forced induction..

Although she can make a lot more buy upping the boost-a-pump'voltage and swapping the blower pulley; that would mean running drag radials.. Without drag radials, flooring it would create a smoke screen the US Navy would be proud of.. Winning is the butt squats,the front tires get light, and gone, not sitting, spinning and smoking.

1/10th of 1% of my driving time is "drag racing". No, I am not putting on drag radials but just run what I have and maybe go a little faster once I start going. Same on the highway when I punch it; more acceleration and at 60 mph I think it would have less affect on stressing out drive trains, etc. Yes, the RWHP is less than the crank and I know that. I just want about 750 to 800 at the crank ILO 650. I am sure Lingenfelter and Callaway are well aware of the stresses more HP adds to everything and have that figured in. There is also Katech. I am just asking which one is probably the "best" if there is a "best".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom