Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: CALLAWAY vs RUF

Jeroenvgfn

Corvette
1986 Black Coupe RPO Z51
the famous CALLAWAY SLEDGEHAMMER

1988callawaysledgehammercorvette.jpg

and it's opponent the RUF CTR YELLOWBIRD

yellowbird.jpg

both factory cars top end product with a big whip of Tuning cream.

after seeing the RUF documentary this weekend and seeing the Sledgehammer story and Fast Cars DVD many times

in this thread please your comments on both cars,
articles , pictures , stories , etc etc etc

let's get carried away

flags.gif

Well if you recall there was a R/T special issue that fetured both cars. I will have to dig it up when I get home. I can say that I have spent time in both RUF's and Callaway's...I will have to think about it. There are a few significant differences, but a great deal in common.

To start with, both cars are amazing, both cars are better than factor will ever be !

The neat thing I remember the guys at RUF Auto Centre (in Carrollton) telling me was that the CTR2 had a manual transmission that didn't require the use of a clutch. It also had an air cooled engine if I'm not mistaken. Very unique stuff!

I think Callaway has more traditional engineering, which is good, because it doesn't take an instruction manual to learn to drive again. :chuckle

I think the Callaway bodywork is better, but I'm a little biased. The RUFs are definitely nice though, they take boring pillbugs and turn them into interesting animals.

In the late 80's, Callaway began exploring the use of a transmission "clutch" engagment system that did not require the use of the third pedal. Some may argue that others simply do not "need" to use the clutch whicle driving anyways :lou

...there was an instruction manual for learning to drive?? ;help ;shrug :beer

:boogie

Yeah... I've heard of a test driver who doesn't bother with the clutch :eek:hnoes Heard it slows shift time ;LOL

-Luigi
:cool

Both manufacturers produce outstanding cars, V8's vs 6's. Callaway 600+hp, Ruf 700+hp at top end. I believe both of their manufacturing facilities in Europe are near one another.

Ruf builds very fast, reliable street cars, that can also be driven to the track and outperform many of the socalled super cars. callaway also builds very fast reliable street cars as well, but they also build "race specific" cars. Why not own one of each, get the best of both worlds.

Ruf builds very fast, reliable street cars, that can also be driven to the track and outperform many of the socalled super cars. callaway also builds very fast reliable street cars as well, but they also build "race specific" cars. Why not own one of each, get the best of both worlds.

So you admit you already own a RUF.

show us some pictures please, We won't bite ya. ;)

and did you know that Callaway started his business tuning Porsches and other German beauties. ( but that is a different forum section )

He has always said good things about him and their outfit.

-Luigi
:cool

...on a easygoing Saturday morning, I thought I would bring this video back to the top :cool

Cool stuff!!! I suppose that aside from in Europe, only in Texas can you get away with flying around on a runway like that :eek

...although we tried a bit in California :ugh
Luigi, remember the 18 wheeler, waiting for clearance from the tower :W

c16saa.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom