Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Calling on Black Widow ZR-1s

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From Jim Van Dorn:

HEARYEE HEARYEE HEARYEE

I AM LOOKING FOR ALL THE OTHER 7 BLACK WIDOW ZR-1'S ASAP!!!!

IF YOU KNOW OF ANY INFO ON THEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. PLEASE CONTACT ANYONE WHO MIGHT KNOW MORE ABOUT THE BLACK WIDOW STATUS. I HAVE SOME VERY EXCITING INFORMATION.

ORIGINAL OWNERS WERE:

DAVID HERRINGTON
JERRY CREWS
DR MICHAEL JACKSON
WAIT STEVE
GLENN GREIDER
JOE WHITNEY
MARK SCHULTZ
JVD

Maybe someone can contact Rippie and have him call me.

jvd
VanDornJim@AOL.COM

Are the Black Widow ZR-1s the ones that had the black crackle finish on the manifold and like 450 or 475 hp? Dont have one or know anyone that does but just curious about the background of a vette called black widow.

• Admin
94conv. If you go to the DRM site I do believe there is a complete story on them there. There is one owner who hangs ont on the ZR-1 net/reg. who has one! but that is the only guy I know of.

here are two pics I have of the actual BW engine---

390224_247_full.jpg

390224_263_full.jpg

I went to the DRM site and found this one---
black_widow_04.jpg

black%20widow%20engine.jpg

Frank from Indiana. 1993 ZR-1 Black Widow #4. This car has the Black 475hp DRZ500 LT-5 engine which was produced in a cooperative effort between DRM, Mercruiser and Lotus. This was all done with the blessing and supervision of Chevrolet. Only 8 were made. This is ZR-1 serial number 153. It has race cams, ported and polished plenum, Borla exhaust, CoilOver Suspension. 30mm front sway bar, HD clutch, 4.09 gear, MSD ignition, remote fans, Fikse wheels and only has 7000 miles on the odometer. My car has been featured in "Heart of the Beast", "Corvette Milestones" and in "Motor Trend"

I found that I had the story on my puter after all--here ya go---

The Black Widow Project
In December 1992, at the 40<SUP>th</SUP> Anniversary Corvette Show in Palm Springs, California, Doug met Gary Cline the LT-5 Project Engineer for MerCruiser. At first they chatted. Then, as the evening grew longer, they started talking about ideas. Rippie listened and thought. He asked, "Whatta you think?" and "What if?" more than a few times. They agreed that the best idea of all would be to do more than talk.
"I think anyone who’s tops in his field wants to see what he’s created be all it can be," says Rippie. Cline, other MerCruiser LT-5 project engineers, and Lotus engineers who were involved in the project knew their engine was capable of higher performance than it had powering the ZR-1 Corvette. Doug Rippie was a kindred spirit. It was decided to work with him to produce a special LT-5 engine, the DRZ-500, also known as the "Black Engine" because each of the DRZ-500 engines produced was painted with special black paint and the "Black Widow" engine, from the nickname given by Jim Van Dorn to the eight DRM-converted ZR-1 Corvettes that are powered by DRZ-500 engines, one of which he owns.
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 187.5pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 161.25pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 6pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 6pt; mso-position-horizontal: left; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="Black Widow engine #4" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="black_widow_engine_small" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata><?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>
The DRZ-500 engine resulted from the cooperative effort of Rippie, Cline and other MerCruiser engineers, Graham Behm of Lotus Engineering in England and Tim Holland of Lotus Engineering USA, and Chevrolet’s blessing. There were four versions:

405 horsepower DRZ-500s, 1990-92 model LT-5s updated to 1993 specifications
450 horsepower DRZ-500s, 1993 LT-5s, 50-state-legal

I see while I was putting this together Rob beat me to the punch and already has a very nice write up on the project and on Jim VD as well---

Thanks for the link, Rob and the info, I remember reading in corvette fever a long time ago about the black engines so the article was a real connect the dots for me. That maroon ZR1 above is beautiful. Fast and classy, cant beat it.

Wow, talk about a dream car...

Dark Metallic Red is my favorite 'vette color, and a black widow ZR-1 to boot!

Brett: I don't think that car is dark metallic red?? All 40th ZR-1's were Ruby Red, A cool color but definately different than dark metallic red. I agree that the Black Widow ZR's are a dream car! They don't seem to change owners often. :upthumbs

Brett: I don't think that car is dark metallic red?? All 40th ZR-1's were Ruby Red, A cool color but definately different than dark metallic red. I agree that the Black Widow ZR's are a dream car! They don't seem to change owners often. :upthumbs

Ah, you are right. Hard to tell because it's a pretty dark picture. Both are great colors!:upthumbs

My first vette was a DR Met paint job and when I had it next to a RR 40th they were very close in color but there was a ever so slight difference---mainly the metalflake--but u had to be close to see it!

390224_347_full.jpg

Usually I'm checking out the Callaways here on the CAC, but I guess I'd better check here too!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom