Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cam / Heads Suggestion needed

B

BANG

I have decided to put the true duals and rear-end on hold until after the cam/heads are done. Now I am in need of suggestions as to which components to buy

Thanks in advance

BANG

YOU FORGOT TO GIVE US SOME VALUABLE INFORMATION LIKE ARE YOU TOTALLY REBUILDING THE ENGINE AND IF NOT HOW MANY MILES ARE ON THE ENGINE AND DO YOU WANT A FAST CRUISER OR A FULL BLOWN RUNNER.A LITTLE BIT OF ADVICE WHEN YOU HAVE AN ENGINE WITH A DECENT AMOUNT OF MILEAGE ON IT AND YOU WORK THE TOP HALF AND NOT THE BOTTOM YOU ARE JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE.
WHO SHOULD SIT DOWN AND SEE WHAT YOU WANT.YOU WANT ALL THE COMPONENTS TO WORK TOGETHER.ME PERSONALLY I LIKE THE EDELBROCK LINE OF PRODUCTS.I WOULD GO FOR THE EDELBROCK RPM LINE CAM,HEADS,INTAKE AND CARB.THEN A STALL CONVERTER BETWEEN 2200-2500RPM AND A 3:55 REAR.ADD A GOOD IGNITION LIKE A MSD OR MALLORY AND WHAT MOST PEOPLE NEGLECT A GOOD HARMONIC BALANCER LIKE A FLUIDAMPNER.AND I THINK YOU WOULD BE VERY HAPPY WITH IT.IT WILL HAVE A LOT PEP AND YOU CAN STILL GO ON THE HIGHWAY.
DAMN I'M GOOD AT SPENDING OTHER PEOPLES MONEY
ALMOST FORGOT YOU WILL HAVE TO CHECK YOUR HOOD CLEARANCE BEFORE YOU START OR GO TO AN AFTERMARKET HOOD.

More Info

Point taken !

The car has a 190 hp L48 20,000 miles - car is in great shape. I am looking to up the fun factor - I do not plan or racing it <well, maybe from one traffic light to another > :) My budgit is about 2600.00 and I am not talented or mechanically inclined enough to do the work myself. So I will have to depend on the local speed shop. The true duals and rear end will have to wait until the MAD money coffers are replinished - or until the Wife isn't looking.

Bang

I just did a 77 L48 (rebuilt it), we installed the L82 cam, rebuilt the stock heads and just cleaned up the castings. We also installed an old and as yet unidentified aluminum intake manifold (it has been polished and all identification has been removed), port matched it and it really woke it up! Even though we removed the headers and installed stock exhaust manifolds. The sound is more mellow in tone but no lope. I have a hard time keeping up with it in my 86 now, used to be easy to blow it's doors off! The engine was not in bad condition at teardown, even with over 100k on it.

I'm in about the same spot with my '79, except I will do my own work. You should try it, it's therapeutic, you WILL learn patience.:D
I think that the exhaust side is the area most in need of help. My car will be getting headers and true duals first. After that will come an Edelbrock performer intake. Some time in the not near future will be a cam change. Still undecided as to the profile, most likely something between a performer and performer RPM since they seem like too much and not enough for what I want (warm street). If I'm feeling rich before the cam change I'll install full roller rockers.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the ignition. If you haven't done it already have the distributor set up by someone that understands high performance engines. Install top quality plug wires and a good coil.
If you still want to spend your money on a cam and heads, follow Moffitts advice clean up the stock ports and install a factory high performance cam.

I looked at a few options when I did the engine in my 81 and stuck with some tried and tested parts.

The quality of the Edelbrock parts is excellent and everything went together without any problems. On previous engines I used a hotch potch of bits with some dissappointing results but with the Edelbrock & Accel kit it went great straight out the box.

J.

:D

I would suggest a few different items, to better stretch you 2600. Since your motor is the stock L48 you are going to suffer from Low compression 8.2 to 1. Hardly a good basis to build High Performance but one we can approve upon. First don't get caught up in the cam hype. With low compression you want somthing with a quick open an close with low overlap. Approx 110 degrees which is about a 270 cam like the ones Comp Cams or Crane offers. This will help you with the compression as the valves close sooner allowing a little more time to build compression. The aluminum heads I feel wont help very much, again due to the low compression. I would just clean up the factory ones with the suggested port and polish. The manifold should match the cam. I used the Performer. This should allow you plenty of cash to get headers and duals to open up the breathing. Dont forget the Ignition. Several manufactures are good, I used the Pertronix rebuild kit.

In my 79 L48 rebuild, I used the Edelbrock performer intake the Comp Cams 270 K-Kit, Summit roller tip rockers, Hooker 4 inch sidepipes, ported and matched heads to intake, 700R4 tranny and stock 2000 stall speed converter out of a late 80's IROC , and 3:55 rear gears, Pertronix Ignition upgrade and recalibrated the Q-Jet, stewart high flow water pump. And to squeeze alittle more I scrouged to find a L82 Fan shroud and electric fan.

Thanks

Thanks to all who have responded to this post. I am currently
negoiating with the performance shop for some of the items mentioned. I will keep you all informed of the progress.

BANG

Motor goodies

I am partial to the Z-28 Camaro combination for a 350. Available through a Chevy dealer. The entire top half of the engine (as far as I know) should bolt right up. This would put you in the streetable 300 HP range.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom