Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CAM SIZE? 65', 327/365

bonll

Corvette
1965, glengreen conv
I am having my engine rebuilt. I have a 65', 327/365 but want to change out the pistons to domed ones so i can run on todays gas without the knocks.
Can anyone reccomend a cam setup to run faster at the lower rpm's.

(The car used to kick but on the FWY...70 mph on up to 140 like a hot knife thru butter, But I don't drive that fast that often, at least not over 100).

I hope there aren't CHP's on line :)

Thanks for any info.
bonll

cam info

Hello
I imagine you mean you want to run a dished piston, not a domed one.
Is it a domed piston now, ? A flat top may be good enough to reduce the compression
Once you decide on the piston, write down all of your details, 4 speed/auto rear end gear ratio, type of driving and then phone a tech line at Comp Cams or Crane or ???
They can put you in with the exact set up you are looking for. Many cams to chose from, so ask those guys once you get your engine combo set, or they may even be able to offer some help on what type of combo to use??
take care
Tom

bonll,
You need to select your piston in the context of several other factors

1. Cylinder head combustion chamber volume
2. Piston/deck clearance
3. Head gasket

All 4 items need to be balanced to get you into your desired compression ratio which sould be 10:1 to 10.5:1 with the 30-30 camshaft. I've seen many people get into trouble by throwing together components without designing an engine.

low compression ratio + big cam = dog motor
too high compression = appetite for racing fuel = big $$$

Also - don't believe Published CR on parts. Example: the modern day replacement SHP domed piston is supposed to give you 10.35:1 compression ratio. The three items above can probably give you anywhere between 9.25:1 and 11.25:1 based on what's been done to your engine and components in the past.

Brian

I just found out that the cause of my problems was the rings were seated correctly. Also that the block has been bored out to the max.
They suggest sleeving it & going back to the original bore size. What do you think. I've heard pro's & con's. Anyway the pistons are flat heads which I'll stick with. They also suggest the LT-2 cam.

I think I'll go this route (I think)

thanks for suggestions. If you have any more comments please feel free.

bonll

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom