Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can 78-82 T-Tops fit a 76?

wrc3

Corvette
1976 L-48
Searched all over for this, but couldn't find an answer. I just was given a brand new set of glass t-tops. Unfortunately they are for a 78-82 and mine is a 76. Any chance these can be made to fit or do I put them up on the selling block?

B

...Any chance these can be made to fit...

Yes, if you use the 78-82 halo panel hardware. You'll need a pair.
yb.jpg

Caution: the glass tops sit higher at the halo panel than the fiberglass tops. Do not try to crank these down to fit flush. You'll break them.

:)

Well after ordering the brackets and taking a closer look, it looks like it could work, with significant effort. There is a backing plate that is wedged in there behind some other fiberglass supports. To get to it you would need to pull some pieces of the interior off, drill out the rivets for those supports, pull them, putt the new backing plate in there, rerivet the supports back in and then maybe, that might work.

Looks to be quite the effort and people who are looking to do this should know that it is not just a simple bolt in, bolt out bracket change.

Do you have a Assembly Instruction Manual for your car? The AIM will show you exactly what's there and how it was put in by the factory, before you take it apart.

Do you have a Assembly Instruction Manual for your car? The AIM will show you exactly what's there and how it was put in by the factory, before you take it apart.

I may have one laying around, but I am not really interested in going through all that. My thinking was that if it was a quick job then I could switch between brackets, and therefore between t-tops. I don't want to permanently switch to the glass though. Oh well.

I can understand that. I have glass tops and would really rather have fiberglass....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom