Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can anyone tell me who makes this widebody kit for C3 Corvettes?

• Thread starter Thread starter VISCOSITY
  • Start date Start date
V

VISCOSITY

I saw this '69 Corvette for sale on ebay sometime last year and I've never seen a widebody kit like this one on any other '68-'72 Vette. As you can see it's not the conventional L88/ZL1 flares nor a Greenwood kit. Can anyone tell me where I can find this kit? Were the fenders and door panel ends custom made? Any info would be great. Thanks. Images can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/22264274@N02/

I like the side shot that shows the left front wheel well - has that Cobra look to it.
I'm not sure I like anything else about it though, outside of the color.

Sorry I can't answer your question but thanks for posting the pictures. It sure has a different look to it and I didn't know they sold C3 kits like that.

I've never seen those fenders either but I like them.

Tom

Where did the original pictures come from? With a little sleuthing, you should be able to trace them back a couple steps and get a lead or two, ideally from the person the took the original pics.

Someone in TX knows where they came from.

I don't believe the ZL-1 flares are whats on the car in question. For one, the rear flares blend onto the doors where as the ZL-1's stop short of the door. Could be someone started with the ZL-1 flares and modified them. If so, they were talented at working fiberglass. The black paint shows the bodywork is pretty slick and well done. :thumb

My guess is they're good old fashion custom made flares.

You could check with ACI. They make many of the kits out there. And if they don't make it, they could probably tell you the origins of the one in question.

I emailed the guy that had this Vette posted on ebay to ask him if it was custom or a kit, and if he could tell me where the kit came from(if it is a kit) but he didn't respond.

You could check with ACI. They make many of the kits out there. And if they don't make it, they could probably tell you the origins of the one in question.

I'm familiar with ACI and frequent their website, I've seen widebody panels there but only for '74-'82.

I saw this '69 Corvette for sale on ebay sometime last year and I've never seen a widebody kit like this one on any other '68-'72 Vette. As you can see it's not the conventional L88/ZL1 flares nor a Greenwood kit. Can anyone tell me where I can find this kit? Were the fenders and door panel ends custom made? Any info would be great. Thanks. Images can be seen at Flickr: visIG-88cos' Photostream
The luggage rack is the first clue and the high ass end is the second. Leave the wheel wells alone . Rid the deck of luggage anything. Restore the ride height to where it belongs. Buy some good mags.:beer

Might be DGP Flares

I saw this '69 Corvette for sale on ebay sometime last year and I've never seen a widebody kit like this one on any other '68-'72 Vette. As you can see it's not the conventional L88/ZL1 flares nor a Greenwood kit. Can anyone tell me where I can find this kit? Were the fenders and door panel ends custom made? Any info would be great. Thanks. Images can be seen at Flickr: visIG-88cos' Photostream

There was a company in Michigan called Diversified Glass Products and they used to make a flared fender kit like the one pictures. I used to catalog aftermarket parts manufacturers in my private library. I do remember they had flared fenders for C3 Corvettes. They also manufactured the 1982-1984 Flared Firebird fenders for the Kelly Girl Racing Series. I think DGP is still in Michigan and manufacturing fiberglass products, but not sure to what scale anymore.

Since the flares in the 'Flickr' shots look handmade, do you think the doors were flared to meet the new distance out of the front of the flares?5492883491_228f5c06e8_m.jpg

try Vanacor they make fiber glass products for all of the top name corvette parts sellers:w

My guess is they're good old fashion custom made flares.

I think you are right. I've never seen kits that radical, but I used to see a lot of those really wide flares at the tracks back in the day. They were custom installations. I remember seeing how-to articles in periodicals. As I rember, most used copper tubing bonded to the body as the framework.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom