Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can I find out what options my vette has from the VIN number

Mangod00

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT-1 coupe
I am trying to figure out what options my 1996 vette has. Can the VIN number tell me this? I am trying to find out if it has a 2.59 or a 3.07 rear. I just got a new cat back system and headers ordered and was thinking about changing gears...Should I....????

FYI Borla system...I hope it sounds nice!!!!

Also one more thing...Does anyone know if the cat is a hi-flo type on my vette? A guy at a performance shop told me not to bother changing it since the cat was already hi-flo...Would an aftermarket hi-flo cat help my system perform more and if so what kind of numbers should I see? I currently hope for 20 - 25 HP from the headers and Muffler change. Hopefully this is realistic...and I hope I can feel the difference!!!

Opinins...comments...

Have you looked under the lid of the rear storage compartment? The RPO list for you car should be there.

Mangod00 said:
I currently hope for 20 - 25 HP from the headers and Muffler change. Hopefully this is realistic...and I hope I can feel the difference!!!
Opinins...comments...

Have you dyno'ed your car yet or done of runs on a strip for times?
A 20 HP improvement is a less than 10% increase and may be hard to feel by the seat of the pants.
When I switched to the Corsa cat back system (stock headers), I realized a 22 HP increase on the dyno. Then again, my motor is modified some and may have responded better to the change.
I would think that you would see the 20 HP improvement.

There is an article in Corvette Fever about installing headers and exhaust on a stock 98 auto in the most recent issue. CF got a ~17 HP improvement with long tubes, HP cats and SuperMAXX exhaust.

If you want to be sure you got what you are looking for, take it to a dyno before and after.

No runs yet, I only got it just before winter though. It is my first vette and these are my first mods...I was putting short headers on should I go with the long ones instead? I heard the longer headers would reduce ground clearance?

On my 87 RPO codes are under the center console lid. I am not sure where they are on your car, but they will provide you with all the options your car has. Some one on this forum is probably more familiar on the location for your 96. Once you find the RPO codes you can cross reference them in any corvette spec book or even on this websit.

Good luck

My "94" has the option codes under the center consol lid as well.

The most common LT1/4 headers are the short tube variety that allows the re-installation of the factory cats in the stock location. The L98 motors benefitted more from the long-tube headers. There are high-flow cats available but unless you have or are planning some internal mods like a cam and head work, the stock cats will work. So the cost of new cats may not really justifiy the results. On the other end of the car, you should enlarge the hole in the air filter lid to allow more air in. Get a K&N air filter too. The filter is a type you can clean and re-install. The regular paper filters work, but they are expensive and a K&N will flow better and it will be the last filter you buy.

Don't bother with the little airfoil insert for the front of the throttle body or anything that says it will give you a 5 to 10 HP gain simply by putting some airflow management thingie in the intake. A total waste of your money.
Canadian laws regarding removal or unnecessary replacement of factory cats may be different than US Federal regulations, but technically, you cannot simply swap cats unless the OEM ones are damaged or found to be not working properly. Most hi-flow cats will pass emissions testing.

Once you get the car back, you can check the RPO codes by going to the Tech Center section and find a wealth of information about your 96. If, for some reason, the car doesn't have the RPO code sticker, you can purchase a copy of the build sheet and even a dealer windshield sticker from the National Corvette Museum. Go to www.corvettemuseum.com and click on the "Window Stickers" link about half way down the page on the left side. It's in the Archives section. While your'e there, you might want to join the Museum. The NCM is a great place and by joining, you will help to keep the Museum going and preserve the history of these cars.

rpo codes are on sticker on lid of storage compartment behind passenger seat.

I went to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green via email and ordered the window sticker/ build sheet for about $65US and now have a nice, displayable record of options and their costs at time of purchase.
Well worth it, or how else would I know my leather seats cost, or the Z52 package?
RJS

Jack up the rear and spin the tires while watching the driveshaft, if it shaft spins just past 3 times you have the 3.07's, less then 3 times you have the 2.59's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom