Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can I mix fuel grades?

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
I know several people that will pull up to the 110 pump and put 5 gallons or so of that in there tank, and then fill the remaining 15 gallons or so with 93 octane. The 110 is low lead fuel. Is this permissable? There is a place where I can get either 100 no lead, or 110 low lead. Which is the way to go?

Yes you can mix it to achieve the octane that you want/need.
Unless you have raised the compression or are supercharged 93 should work for you.

vetteboy86 said:
I know several people that will pull up to the 110 pump and put 5 gallons or so of that in there tank, and then fill the remaining 15 gallons or so with 93 octane. The 110 is low lead fuel. Is this permissable? There is a place where I can get either 100 no lead, or 110 low lead. Which is the way to go?

I am not certain, but I suspect that the "low lead" would kill the catalytic converter. Does anyone know?

Well I have heard that the Leaded fuels will certainly not work with cats, but since I have none this shouldn't be a problem.

I raised the compression a little more than 1 full point. Anyone know how high of octane I will need? In other words there isn't a rule somewhere that says increase octane for every point increased in compression. I know I have cooler plugs, I might have to drop another heat range. Timing, I hate to touch, because than that negates the purpose of more horsepower.

Thanks,
Craig

Yes lead in the fuel will kill the catalytic converter but it will kill the O2 sensor first. You can buy 104 no lead but it is expensive.
You can buy TORCO ACCELERATOR and add it to your fuel and make it whatever octane you need up to 104. After 104 it becomes so costly for the little gain that it is prohibitive.
Makes no sense to raise the compression to make more power then retard the timing and kill the power to stop detonation.
At current fuel prices it is going to be costly to drive that thing but I assume you though about that before you raised the compression.

110 low lead....I believe that is Av Gas. It will clog your cat. Adding different octane levels is not a problem though but stay away from the leaded if you still have cats.

vetteboy86 said:
I raised the compression a little more than 1 full point. Anyone know how high of octane I will need?
With sophisticated computer controls, you can pretty much put any gas in a car and it will run. My daily driver will run better on the top end with higher octane because the onset of knock is delayed or eliminated, thus the knock-sensor won't retard the engine as much, if at all.
With older computer controls or none at all, my rule of thumb (RE: "somewhat educated guess") is:
8.25 CR and below... 87 octane
8.5 - 9.5... 91 octane
9.5 - 10.5... 94 octane
11 and up... 98 or higher

...but there are other, more educated people on here that can likely give you a better answer.

Here's a good link about Octane ratings and the Av Gas and about "leaded gas and catalytic converters"... HowStuffWorks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom