Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Can I swap the base plates on a Quadrajet 7042202 and 7042217?

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
My 1972 LS-5 numbers matching 7042217 cab has a bad main body. . .oh well.

I have a spare 1972 7042202 cab sitting on my shelf. . .that I want to use in the other ones stead. One problem. . .the base plate throttel linkage is different between the two carbs. The 7042202 linkage will interfear with the intake manifold on the LS-5. Can I swap the base plates between these to carbs so that I will have a working carb (without having to modify the origional) 7042202 throttel linkage?

Thanks for your input.

You'd be better off just snipping the small block carb throttle lever - that's all Rochester did: the lever is the same, but snipped off. A high speed cutoff wheel works fine, and makes the cut look as good as the factory cut.

yeah. . .but then wouldn't I be trashing the original 7042202 throttel linkage? Someone might need that carb someday. . .especially if I can get my origional main bowl fixed.

7042202 was used on every Chevelle and Malibu built in 1972 with a 350 and auto trans (as well as Vette). If you cut the arm, you'd be altering one of about 400,000 7042202 carbs ever built. That would be a tragedy. Those Malibu guys are known for paying HUGE bucks for restoration car parts, especially when creating low riders.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom