Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can one rebuild a Nippondenso starter?

LT4man

Corvette
96 Collectors Edition LT4
I just installed new solenoid parts into my Nippondenso / GM starter.

New GM starter: $300 list price

New solenoid parts: $25 + shipping

Repairing your original starter: PRICELESS!!!

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

good deal! I noticed on the LT1 it looks like a straight forward job, how much time did R&R take you, and where did you get the solonoid?:beer

Everything you always wanted to know about your solenoid, but were afraid to ask!

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html

Diagnosis, pictures, parts AND instructions.

And I might add, the instructions are accurate. Something I cannot say about some other vendors I have worked with! :L

Removal of starter is about 15 minutes.
Installation of parts is about 30 minutes. Take your time. Have a cool drink while installing the parts.
Installation of starter is another 15 minutes.

Take the copper strips out of the plastic retainer and clean those up, too!

that's a site I will hang on to, thanks. It's great to see someone repair something today, instead of just throwing another starter in it. And a heck of a lot cheaper, so we can spend it on fun stuff, like rear tires! :lou

You can say that again! :upthumbs

Funny thing how I found the site.

Talked to Chris May at Superior Chevrolet. He told me Chevy does not have the solenoid available separately. He suggested I talk to my friendly neighborhood parts guy.

I called my buddies at the NAPA store. My buddy told me, "No, NAPA does not have the solenoid. Why don't you call Morton Grove Auto Electric?"

It was after hours, so I looked for their website. They are a major remanufacturer of starters and alternators in the Chicagoland area. I got the distinct impression they only sold units.

So I searched "Nippondenso solenoid parts" and came up with Nations. See what happens when the people you deal with give you good advice and referrals?

I am thrilled with the way my Vette starts now.

Most parts stores just want to sell more than what you need. It's becoming a lost craft rebuilding units. I enjoy taking stuff apart just to see how it works. And it feels that much better when you fixed it, rather that replace the whole unit. Well done!:rotfl

If you can buy the contacts seperately, that is all you will really need. The plunger can be cleaned up and reused.

Everything you always wanted to know about your solenoid, but were afraid to ask!

Repair your Denso Starter and SAVE MONEY!!!

Diagnosis, pictures, parts AND instructions.

And I might add, the instructions are accurate. Something I cannot say about some other vendors I have worked with! :L

Removal of starter is about 15 minutes.
Installation of parts is about 30 minutes. Take your time. Have a cool drink while installing the parts.
Installation of starter is another 15 minutes.

Take the copper strips out of the plastic retainer and clean those up, too!

Do you remember the part nbr you purchased.

Great link. I tried to buy parts to rebuild by Toyota alternator, parts were more than a rebuild. Its true the art is being lost on rebuilding stuff.

Old School

Once again LT4Man has shown us that we do not need to throw money at our cars. Some of us old shade tree mechanics still refuse to be parts changers. Logic and an inquiring mind can save a lot of time and money. If you try to understand what each part does and how it fits into the whole picture you can repair most anything. Yes there are limits to that but they are a lot further down the road then new parts. We live in a disposable society and if you don't believe that look at what is put out at the curb on trash day.:cool

Do you remember the part nbr you purchased.

I purchased the kit at the bottom of the "Denso Parts" page. Two (2) contacts and (1) plunger.

They cost $34.95 plus shipping.

I paid about $25 total in 2006. How times change!

Still much better than spending $400 on a complete starter.

These are the only parts that wear out in a Nippondenso starter. Mine has worked perfectly since I did the repair. I have over 111,000 miles on my Vette.

I purchased the kit at the bottom of the "Denso Parts" page. Two (2) contacts and (1) plunger.

They cost $34.95 plus shipping.

I paid about $25 total in 2006. How times change!

Still much better than spending $400 on a complete starter.

These are the only parts that wear out in a Nippondenso starter. Mine has worked perfectly since I did the repair. I have over 111,000 miles on my Vette.

The Nippondenso must be a good design if the only parts that go bad are a couple of cheap parts. Does it not have any brushes or anything to go bad like I've heard of that can go bad on a starter?

My Vette came with an extra rebuilt starter the PO threw in with the car. So, if the starter ever goes out on mine. I'll put in the new rebuilt starter. Then rebuild the bad one I pulled.

good deal! I noticed on the LT1 it looks like a straight forward job, how much time did R&R take you, and where did you get the solonoid?:beer
Not sure how long it took LT4man, I did mine in just over an hour including setup and clean up start to finish.

tcxd40

Not sure how long it took LT4man, I did mine in just over an hour including setup and clean up start to finish.

tcxd40

See post #3 above.

Is this the same thing as on the starter for an 89? Or is it just for the LT1's?

I believe the starters are similar.

Contact Nations Auto Electric to confirm.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom