Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can too much Fuel Stabilizer cause engine to stall

Enricor99

Corvette
81 Charcoal Grey
Hi,

Just stored my vette for the winter by adding Fuel stabilzer (had to run the engine for 10 mins afterwards) and now all my engine does is constantly stall. Could putting in too much fuel stabilizer cause this issue?

Hi,

Just stored my vette for the winter by adding Fuel stabilzer (had to run the engine for 10 mins afterwards) and now all my engine does is constantly stall. Could putting in too much fuel stabilizer cause this issue?

Not likely. If this is a carburetor vehicle, if you added the fuel stabilizer and then did NOT run the vehicle for 15-20 mins or more before storing, then the varnish buid up in the float bowls probably plugged the idle passages. The float bowls hold so little fuel that it doesn't take long for the fuel to go bad, and even with fuel stabilizer added I have seen varnish develop and plug passages. If you are stating that this problem happened right after installing the fuel stabilizer, then the float bowls were probably already contaminated. Good luck with it. :)

Not likely. If this is a carburetor vehicle, if you added the fuel stabilizer and then did NOT run the vehicle for 15-20 mins or more before storing, then the varnish buid up in the float bowls probably plugged the idle passages. The float bowls hold so little fuel that it doesn't take long for the fuel to go bad, and even with fuel stabilizer added I have seen varnish develop and plug passages. If you are stating that this problem happened right after installing the fuel stabilizer, then the float bowls were probably already contaminated. Good luck with it. :)

It is a carburetor vehicle. I do think it has something to do with it . The car will not stall until I take my foot off the gas

I don't put anything in my fuel either...
never had a problem.

If it doesn't stall with your foot on the gaspedal, just turn up the idle rpm to that level and go for a drive. Lets say one hour, everything is then warmed up compleetly, all the fuel is flushed and maybe if varnish is the problem then fuel (maybe) will clean the inside carburator.

On the other hand, when you take the top part off the carburator you can clean most of the passages on the inside, always a good idea to do (if you know what your doing!)

Greetings Peter

If it doesn't stall with your foot on the gaspedal, just turn up the idle rpm to that level and go for a drive. Lets say one hour, everything is then warmed up compleetly, all the fuel is flushed and maybe if varnish is the problem then fuel (maybe) will clean the inside carburator.

On the other hand, when you take the top part off the carburator you can clean most of the passages on the inside, always a good idea to do (if you know what your doing!)

Greetings Peter

Thanks everyone. Is there a spray you can use to spray into the carburator that may clean out the fuel bowls?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom