Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can we hope for AWD????

B

BubbleHead

Aside from a newly designed body for the C6, I think All Wheel Drive is a must! After watching a 3000GT lauch from the line, I was truly amazed! He ran a 11.84 with NO tire spin!

And I had the pleasure of watching a Porsche 911 Turbo nail a turn at speed. I KNEW I couldn't keep up with out my rearend bouncing around, in the particular turn. AWD is the key along with a mid engine layout.

I did catch up to the 911 later, I didn't bother trying that turn because I was to interested in watching him go.

PLEASE, let Chevrolet see the light and go with an AWD Vette.

I think it would be cool. But I would have to wonder about the additional weight disadvantage? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that an AWD setup can tach on some hefty weight to an automobile?

That's why ya bump up the HP :D

Really, I'm thinking it wouldn't be too much more weight. The added traction and handling would be well worth it.

It would be cool, but I don't think it will happen. GM won't try something new like that with the Vette. They would most likely try it on another car first to see how it is. If they were to do it, it would have to be right so that there would be no problems with the system and no recalls for mechanical problems. They can do it if they want to. GM has the resources and technology, it is just a matter of them wanting to do something.

I know there would be some patent infringment, but Subaru has a killer AWD system. From what I understand there are two driveshafts, one for each axle, and they are connected by a viscous fluid in the transfer case. As long as both driveshafts are spinning at equal speeds the fluid is pretty good. But as soon as one starts to spin faster than the other, the fluid around the faster spinning shaft thickens, because of the excessive heat generated, slowing it down, thus transfering power to the slower shaft. Once things are back up to speed the fluid cools down and both shafts spin at the same speed sending equal power to the front and rear end. And considering Subaru's record in rally races, it's got to be a pretty robust system.

A buddy of mine has a '00 Subaru Legasy Limited. In a straight line, he has no chance, but around a corner he can stick with me fairly well.

Heck, the General is the largest auto manufacturer in the world, they could buy Subaru and, vowla! No more patent infringement!

If the Corvette super car does come to fruition I surely hope that a mid-engined AWD design is considered.

Jason

The new GMC C3 trucks have an all wheel drive system that supposedly works real well. Lingenfelter offers a package for these trucks with something like 500hp. If its good enough for 500hp in a 4000lb truck it should work on a vette. My only concern is the weight and the cost. I would love to go down to my local chevy dealer and order my C6 with an aluminum 427, a 6 speed and all wheel drive. Then we would be passing the the Viper and chasing Ferrari and Lamborghini!!!! WOW!

BJS1977 said:
I would love to go down to my local chevy dealer and order my C6 with an aluminum 427, a 6 speed and all wheel drive. Then we would be passing the the Viper and chasing Ferrari and Lamborghini!!!! WOW!

Sounds like someone has been reading about Chevrolet's Tiger Shark project car.;) It may not be AWD but with over 600hp, who the heck cars:t

- Eric

With a 427, Ferrari and Lamborghini would be chasing you! Let's put it in perspective, the current Z06 can put out 405 HP stock out of a 350 small block. Imagine what the General could pull out of a 427.

The viscous coupler is an old idea, my 93 Grand Cherokee has one.

GM HAS AWD technology...have you guys forgotten about the GMC Syclone/Typhoon? Those are FAST and are pumping out a good amount of HP. There is/was a shop in Texas that offered a 1400 HP package (their top of the line package).

GM can make an AWD C6 if they wanted too, and they should. They have the technology and have had mass produced high performance vehicles with the system in them, and it worked great!

I would think the biggest factor would be cost, but the Typhoon/Syclone were not that expensive.

We can dream, can't we. :D

I think that GM just doesn't want to go away from almost 50 years of rear wheel drive on the 'Vette. They're probably afraid of turning people away. But, AWD is the step that a lot of manufacturer's are going in these days. I think that WRX is a pretty cool car though.

AWD

Bubblehead took my thunder but made the point. The GMC Syclone and Typhoon were awsome and out quarter miled the Corvette in some tests. They used this system in a Pontiac 6000 in '86 but it never caught on due mostly to price and a lack of education as to what it was.. The Bravada uses the same AWD system, not 4wd like it's siblings, and it is soooo smooth that you never feel the torque switch back to front. It just sticks and goes.

If memory serves a GM engineer developed and patented the viscous coupling way back but it was Audi that first used it in a production car. The technology is there and proven under high horsepower applications so it would not be a streach to do it. I would bet we will see it in the Corvette supercar that I think Chevy has already made up their mind to do.

Tom

I want to replie on this matter. In europe we have alot of all wheel drive cars. For saftey it's a advantage, but for fun driving it's not fun!

A lot of porschedrivers changed there carera s4 or a normal rearwheeldrive.

You lose a lot of hp, because you have to have a fourwheel driveline and it's more heavyer.

You want 4 wheeldrive? Buy a Audi Quatro.

johnny said:
I want to replie on this matter. In europe we have alot of all wheel drive cars. For saftey it's a advantage, but for fun driving it's not fun!

A lot of porschedrivers changed there carera s4 or a normal rearwheeldrive.

You lose a lot of hp, because you have to have a fourwheel driveline and it's more heavyer.

You want 4 wheeldrive? Buy a Audi Quatro.

Why is it not fun? I'm really curious about this since I have never driven an AWD car. My old grand Cherokee was full time 4wd/AWD and it was great, but it was an SUV, not a sports car. I never noticed it until the weather conditions changed for the worse and I could keep going when others had trouble.

About the HP, you my loose a little due to more drivetrain, but what you have will be put to the ground efficently (sp). I know a guy that has a 93 Grand Cherokee with a nicely built 360 and AWD. He's running mid 12's with total traction.

And I thinking handling would be improved, especially cornering.

And that's what I think. :J

I got a chance to take my buddies Subaru Legasy for a spin (fortunatlly he wasnt in the car:)) I didnt push it too hard but I was impressed with the way it cornered and accelerated, especially with a boxer 4 under the hood.

He can also hang with me pretty well through the corners. Now dont think he's gaining ground on me, but he holds it better than another buddy with a V-6 Prelude that's got about 40 more horses.

With the Tiger Sharks blown 427 under the hood of an AWD 'Vette, I dont think we would have to worry much about the extra weight of the AWD system.

Just my .02

Jason

I guess Subaru has gotten better...when we rented one while skiing in Colorado it kept getting stuck all the time....maybe it was too light for snow conditions....interesting recommendation....would be interested in driving on pavement.....is subaru available with stick?...curious to see if its as good as the vw system (only automatic)
...hmmmmm
twiget said:
I know there would be some patent infringment, but Subaru has a killer AWD system. .

Jason

Corvette1984 said:
I guess Subaru has gotten better...when we rented one while skiing in Colorado it kept getting stuck all the time....maybe it was too light for snow conditions....interesting recommendation....would be interested in driving on pavement.....is subaru available with stick?...curious to see if its as good as the vw system (only automatic)
...hmmmmm

I know the Impreza is avalible with a 5 speed. The WRX version pumps out 227hp from a turbo charged boxer 4.:) 0-60 times that rival my GS's, and a full time AWD system. And next year the hp will be bumped to 230+! Anyone have 30K they could give to a good cause?:D

As for other Subaru's having a stick? I'm not sure.

Jason

Go test drive the Audi S4 or a Porsche 911 Turbo, both have AWD systems. The Audi only needs a chip to break into the 12's!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom