Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can't change my head lights!!. Question?

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi,

I need to change my low beam and high beams on my 74. I was able to unscrew 2 screws on each headlights retaining rings but when I get to the ones in the bottom they are rusted there and won't come out. I've tried with the screw driver and it won't come at all. if I try anymore i'll strip the screw and won't be able to remove that screw ever. I've put some penetrating lubricant but still won't come.

How Am i gonna get these damn light's out? I've tried to remove the head light bezel to get better reach but I could only unscrew it. it won't come out unless the bulbs or the entire cup is removed.

How did you guy's managed to remove the retaining ring?

This may come down to drilling the head off and then drilling the screw out and re-tapping the hole. Wish I had better news.

68Roadster said:
This may come down to drilling the head off and then drilling the screw out and re-tapping the hole. Wish I had better news.

Well. maybe I won't have a choice. do you think 2 screws will hold it tight enouph until I tap the hole with another screw.

I don't know if it will work, but sometimes if you turn the screw in the tighting direction, (clockwise) it will break the seal and you can then remove it. We use this method on Air Force aircraft. If it does not work, keep the doors down and the gas pedal up.

It'll hold but I wouldn't go too long...
Try buckskin's idea first....

I had the same problem with mine...I tried penetrating oil, a few taps with the center punch to break the seal, It worked for a few but on one the phillips head was stripped and rusted so I ended up putting a fresh cutoff wheel on my die grinder and carefully cut a slot in the screw.
I was then able to remove it with a flathead screwdriver.
Put covers around the area to protect the paint.
Mine had the 4 original headlights in but 3 were burn't out, its a lot brighter now with 4 halogens in!

I had similar prob ... tried everything. Ended up doing similar to howard ... taped off area ... ground heads completely off bucket screws w/ die grinder ... removed buckets, bezels & bulbs ... then more penetrating oil (PB Blaster) ... then used small visegrips & turned the old screws out ... didn't have to re-tap ... just new screws.
JACK:gap

try PB Blaster...spray it on and wait over night...put the screw driver in the screw and give it a few wraps with a small hammer...make sure the driver isnt stripped too...the best fit possible. like i read, maybe try tightening it first as that direction more than likely isnt stripped , free it up and back it out...and with 2 out , you may be able to open it enough to remove the light.
But that will bother you knowing its not right, so i would be patient and go slow...get it right and you will be happy.
good luck, chas

Soak it with PB Blaster. Do you have an impact screwdriver? They're a wonderful invention for exactly this kind of situation.

-Mac

46978.gif

Mac is on the right path, no toolbox should be without a impact screwdriver, it always works for me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom