Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can't remove aluminum rear wheels

Rmodeler

Corvette
'82' Silver Blue
Purchased '82' last fall, in process of cleaning things up. Went to remove rear aluminum wheels and they are froze on. Probably haven't been removed for a long time and the aluminum must have corroded to the axle hubs. What is a good way to free them up? Would spraying the area with liquid wrench or something similar work? Fronts came off with no problem.

PB Blaster!!! Spray the Crap out of it!!! Let set over night and kick the crap out of tire!!! If that don't do it, Soak it again!! :upthumbs

put the lugs on the wheels loose and drive it around in the driveway they will break loose just do not drive very far steve

I've had the same problem when i've had to take the tires off my silverado.I get on the floor and start beating on it with a sledge hammer.ONLY HITTING THE TIRE,though,If that doesnt work I have a 4' breaker bar that i've used putting a rag ,or clothon the rim as to not scratch or mar the aluminum.

good luck,bill.........:w

bill81vette said:
I get on the floor and start beating on it with a sledge hammer.ONLY HITTING THE TIRE,

good luck,bill.........:w
I do this allot!! Instead of Kicking the Crap out of it,But I didn't want to sound Like a NC Hillbilly!!
Thanks Bill!!
I don't like to leave the lugs Loose and Drive it, I've seen some finely come loose and Break or Bend Studs!!:upthumbs

Rmodeler said:
Purchased '82' last fall, in process of cleaning things up. Went to remove rear aluminum wheels and they are froze on. Probably haven't been removed for a long time and the aluminum must have corroded to the axle hubs. What is a good way to free them up? Would spraying the area with liquid wrench or something similar work? Fronts came off with no problem.

Facing away from the car, kick backwards hitting the tire as close to the outside edge as possible. Do this at four different points around the circumference of the tire. The aluminum has galvanized to the stell of the hub. Keep doing this until you break it loose. I would not drive with loose lug nuts since this might damage the lugs. Once the wheel is off, scrub it with some OO, double ought, steel wool and lightly spread some "anti-seize" on the wheel face, where it meets and contacts the hub.

Another possible way is to put the lug nuts only slightly loose and GENTLY and SLOWLY lower the car to the ground, getting just a bit of pressure on the wheel and tire. This may be enough to break the chemical bond between the two.

I prefer the former method though.

Gary

gmjunkie said:
I do this allot!! Instead of Kicking the Crap out of it,But I didn't want to sound Like a NC Hillbilly!!
Thanks Bill!!
I don't like to leave the lugs Loose and Drive it, I've seen some finely come loose and Break or Bend Studs!!:upthumbs

Junk...whatever works buddy!!!!:D
I don't care if it sounds like a redneck way of doing things or not some times you gotta do what you gotta do!!!!!!!:upthumbs

bill..........:w

don't leave the nuts that loose and don't drive it far you will not break any studs all the nuts need to be on to distribute the wieght.you could also just put it on the ground and shake the car back and forth steve

I agree with Bradfords vettes. Soak it with PB Blaster loosen lugs 1 turn and drive it down the driveway and back up. That should do it. Traveling that far will not hurt it unless your driveway is a mile long.

Try heating them with a blowtorch.;)

Norseman said:
Try heating them with a blowtorch.;)

i think i would use a heat gun instead if you choose the heat method. loads safer and a bit more controlable than a torch. not my first choice however, i would try the rust buster and tire pounding method first (and second too, lol)

steve

I can't imagine that driving around on a loose wheel is a good thing; no matter what the distance. I would be more inclined to use PB Blaster and kicking.

Manarius said:
I can't imagine that driving around on a loose wheel is a good thing; no matter what the distance. I would be more inclined to use PB Blaster and kicking.
GM says, loosen the nuts about 2 turns and then slowly drive the car back and forth in your driveway while turning the steering wheel. i have used this method on several different cars and truck and it will work

Loose is a relative term. Two turns sounds about right. Just enough to loosen the nuts, not enough to allow the wheel to go anywhere.

-Mac

PB blaster and a tap with a sledge did it! Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought about the loose lug nuts, but was scared I might mess something up and be worse off then when I started. I thought the blow torch idea was said with 'tongue in cheek'.

Like one post said,when you get them off use antiseize when reinsatlling.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom