Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can't turn to acc.

Doc Savage

Corvette
1988 Red Coupe
I hope someone can help me with this. I was activating satellite service on my radio when I tried to turn the key to acc. it wouldn't turn that way so I turned it to start but didn't turn it over, i just turned it so the radio would go on, now the car won't start. I had just driven it to the store and it drove fine, no problems now it won't start. It seems like it's not getting gas, could the electronic ignition have flooded it when I had the key turned to on? It's an 88 Coupe, I just got it and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world. What can I do?

well doc if i read it right,car is cranking but not firing.i would check spark first by pulling a plug wire and putting a screw driver iin plug end.have someone crank car and hold about an inch from metal surface.should be a nice bright arc.not sure if injecter will let enough fuel out (to cause a no start) if computer does not see a signal from ign and oil presure switch.dont have service books handy.somebody eles will be along soon and give better info ...bill

after rereading i noticed i forgot to mention could also be ign switch ,might be alot to check for some one who`s not mechanically inclined. ...bill

interesting point here. I don't think my 89 even HAS an ACC position on the Ign switch. Am I correct, or have I been missing something for 20 years? (Wouldn't be the first time though lol)

I tried to see if there was a spark like you said, got nothing, I just had it towed to the shop so I'll have to wait and see what's up. 1st time my new baby is away from home. Time to drink HEAVY!! Also I've tried several times to turn the key back for accs., it says there is one in the manual but I'm afraid to turn too hard. I guess I'll just listen when the motors on ( when I get it back that is.)

well good to see you have things under control! now for the car keep us posted on what was found.

well good to see you have things under control! now for the car keep us posted on what was found.
Hi everyone the car is back, turned out it was the fuel pump & filter. Runs like a top again but I still can't access my accessories, I'm going to try wd40 & see if that loosens it up. Everyone thanks for your suggestions.

interesting point here. I don't think my 89 even HAS an ACC position on the Ign switch. Am I correct, or have I been missing something for 20 years? (Wouldn't be the first time though lol)

Yes, if you turn the key towards you, you will find your ACC position!

Sometimes it will get a little hard to do because of lack of use.

See, you learn something every day! :L

WD-40 works great on loosening the key cylinder.

SAVE THE :w

Yes, if you turn the key towards you, you will find your ACC position!

Sometimes it will get a little hard to do because of lack of use.

See, you learn something every day! :L

WD-40 works great on loosening the key cylinder.

I just tried this. I did find two intermediate positions between "Insert/Remove Key" and "Ignition On". The first of these is kinda "soft" and does nothing, the second is more firm and will let me move the auto trans selector, without ignition on, but no action on any electricals such as radio, A/C fan, Radar Detector, Fwd 20mm gun, etc. It just not gonna move rearwards though (counterclockwise as viewed by the pass).
In other cars I've driven the ACC position is actually marked on the switch, not so here. Any other way to check it out, I'm hesitant to use force.

ACC key

On most GM cars, my '95 Corvette included, the ACC position is accessed by pushing the key inward while in the 'off' position then turning the key to the left (away from 'on').
Hope this helps.

I just tried this. I did find two intermediate positions between "Insert/Remove Key" and "Ignition On". The first of these is kinda "soft" and does nothing, the second is more firm and will let me move the auto trans selector, without ignition on, but no action on any electricals such as radio, A/C fan, Radar Detector, Fwd 20mm gun, etc. It just not gonna move rearwards though (counterclockwise as viewed by the pass).
In other cars I've driven the ACC position is actually marked on the switch, not so here. Any other way to check it out, I'm hesitant to use force.
I have the same problem with mine no acc position is marked but the manual says there is one. I think its a common problem.

I have the same problem with mine no acc position is marked but the manual says there is one. I think its a common problem.

Where in the ^%$#$ manual did you find that? I tried and failed. I figured it was some kinda GM lore. I find this kinda oddity in my Jeep, but I expect it there, after all, it's a Jeep, ain't?

If the adjustment of your ignition switch is a little off.......it will enable the starter to be energized and the lock position to be reached......but might not let the key move far enough to have the ACC position.

I would definitely not force the issue. You would need to climb under the dash to move the position of the ignition switch to make the ACC position work.

If you have lived without it all these years, then just carry on! :upthumbs

If the adjustment of your ignition switch is a little off.......it will enable the starter to be energized and the lock position to be reached......but might not let the key move far enough to have the ACC position.

I would definitely not force the issue. You would need to climb under the dash to move the position of the ignition switch to make the ACC position work.

If you have lived without it all these years, then just carry on! :upthumbs

Maybe I misunderstood before.
I took it to mean that the ACC position was to be found by turning the key counter-clockwise after insertion (as seen from the pass seat). Is this correct?

Maybe I misunderstood before.
I took it to mean that the ACC position was to be found by turning the key counter-clockwise after insertion (as seen from the pass seat). Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct! It is the only position to the left of the Lock Column /Remove Key position.

Does this make sense to you?

Yes, I understand you correctly. I'm gonna work with it some more. It does kinda explain why the ignition interlock is sometimes difficult to remove the key without doing some wiggling, and maybe why it won't start in P, but will in N.
I've always blamed the P/N switch in the tran selector, but ... maybe ... it was always the ign sw being cute. I guess it'll give me something to play with in the snow season when I keep the vette inside.

Thanks for the input. I'm a stubborn cuss, I like stuff to work the way it's supposed to. It's just the engineer in me being anal. :)

Yes, I understand you correctly. I'm gonna work with it some more. It does kinda explain why the ignition interlock is sometimes difficult to remove the key without doing some wiggling, and maybe why it won't start in P, but will in N.
I've always blamed the P/N switch in the tran selector, but ... maybe ... it was always the ign sw being cute. I guess it'll give me something to play with in the snow season when I keep the vette inside.

Thanks for the input. I'm a stubborn cuss, I like stuff to work the way it's supposed to. It's just the engineer in me being anal. :)
Tried the wd-40 today, still won't turn back to acc. I'm starting to think it won't. It does say in the beginning of the 88 manual that it has an acc position but it just won't go into it.

Tried the wd-40 today, still won't turn back to acc. I'm starting to think it won't. It does say in the beginning of the 88 manual that it has an acc position but it just won't go into it.
You must push the key inward, toward the center of the column, before turning the key to the left. Otherwise, it will not turn to ACC.

You must push the key inward, toward the center of the column, before turning the key to the left. Otherwise, it will not turn to ACC.
Thats what I did, it still will only go so far. I tried wd-40, pushed it in & turned, nothing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom