Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car and Drivers Take

77-4speed

Corvette
1977 Black L-82 4-speed
Here is an article in the newest Car and Driver.

What do you think?

You should be able to open it in paint and use "image", then "stretch/skew" to 150% or so to read it but it might come out blurry. I would have put it in bigger but, only 65Kb is allowed.

Looks pretty ugly to me. I hope that Lutz doesn't let that one slip through the cracks, because I expect far greater things from him than this. Now that design would make an ugly SRT-10 Viper look like a viable alternative again.

I hope that the GT-40 comes out intact.

Brad

Geez, that looks just like the Z06 without the popup headlights and the front end worked on a little.

Okay, GM butchered the 50th anniversary model. Don't tell me they're going to butcher the C6 as well.

All these sketches and speculation from the various automotive magazines are nothing but "shots in the dark". They need something to write about so the author makes his best guess based on speculation, other speculations from remote sources, and sometimes just out of thin air. Honestly, has Chevrolet ever produced a truly ugly Corvette? In my mind they have always made the next generation more provocative maybe, but never truly ugly. Remember when the C5 debuted, some loved it, some hated the rear, and some, (like myself) thought it resembled the Mitsubishi front quarters. After several years of eyesight adjustment I finally let go of my C4 and got a C5. Glad I did now, the chassis refinement alone was worth the change.
Some have even speculated on the retro look for the C6... I really don't think (I hope) that will ever come about. The Corvette is all about the future, it has always been the showcase car from GM right from the get go, retro styling would fly in the face of that concept. Styling cues from the past generations will make it into the basic design, both inside and out, with enough forward thinking styling to bring it up to date. I for one think the next generation will be a work of triumph both in styling and engineering concepts. I'm looking forward to the day it is released.
vettepilot

I agree with vettepilot. No one really knows what the C6 is going to look like. I wish I could have posted a bigger image so that you could read the story. It's mostly the same old same old, but they explain why they drew certain styling elements the way they did, based on insider sources and interviews with GM People.

if that's near what the C6 will look, then i'll be keeping my antique C5

(mr. T voice)
I pity the fool that drew that picture...(end voice) :D

All they did in that drawing was take a Z06, remove the pop-up lights and lengthen the front end.
I love the car mags, but believe they should leave the speculating to spy shots.

Oh yuk!

I sure am glad it is only magazine speculation and worth nothing more than that.

Well I cant think of too many ugly Vettes in the past 50 years, can you? I`m sure it will look awsome. :)

I am sure that if it was a box called Corvette that we all would love it, especially if it was faster and handeled better than any other previous Corvette. Lets just hope Bob does his magic and pleases 98% of us. We all can not be 100% happy, but at least 98% of us can. Keep the faith, Bob will not let us down.

Even GM design can do better then that thing. It lookslike it has a green house from a 1963 Impala.

If that is anything close to the final bodystyle I am glad I got my 2001 when I did. That picture is ugly. These are the good old days!

If they build that I may have to blow up the Corvette plant. NAH I wouldn't got that far. I hate thouse concept drawings.

Remember every time a true american icon is to go through an evolution..the sales and Public Relations guys want to bolster existing models sales..

One way to do that is to leak out "bad information" that way the faithful grab what they know to be a winner..in this case the C5 and then..when the true unveiling of the new model..in this case the C6 rolls out..

They continue selling out each years production ..and the press once again fawns over the new model..

the Magazines find one or two items from the early sketch or mechanical layout that they suggested would be on the new car..and they say..

See we told you it would be great..

Remember..its all a game..

When the C6 hits..the handling and the braking in addition to acceleration..will be beyond what we presently have..

I would say..380 hp in 3100 lbs.. base C6..but lower unsprung weight will improve handling and braking..Not sure about the materials involved..Possibly Ceramic rotors to achieve the goal? That I don't know but they have used titanium exhaust so why not at least consider ceramic rotors as a possiblity..?

Could be on the sub 3000 lb Z06 C6 with 450 hp coming in the summer of 2005..

Maybe with a wide body as well to differentiate!

We have a lot of cool things to look foward to the C6..

And for now we get to enjoy one of the worlds best supercars..

Does it get any better than this...?

We are living in the age of the best performance sports cars the world has ever produced!

I agree with JB. I think we have a lot of exciting things to look forward to with the next C6, and as for right now, the C5 is one hell of a sports car for the money and definitely a worthy member of the Corvette family.

On a little bit of a sidenote, there seemed to be C5s out everywhere today during rushhour traffic. I even saw a '96 Grand Sport convertible. One thing that I've found is that there seems to be more female C5 owners that I ever recall in the past. At least 1/2 the C5s I saw on the road today were driven by women. I thought that was very cool.

It seems like a requirement now if you are a female vette driver that is red or a convertable you must have blonde hair ! ;)

I think it is pretty neat too Rob. ( That is based on my daily commute up I-395 to the Pentagon)

C6

Well guys and dolls the Road And Track have the C6 on the cover and the story to match along with a ragtop inside. It's the August issue they say the rag might be the first Vette to have a power top. It takes seeing it in person to really form an opinion and that's a ways off so I'll keep it movin' in the Still Funky Fresh C5!

Female C5 Owners

One thing to consider also is the hubby had to forfit the keys like I have to do every once in awhile and Carmel Brown with Braided hair don't look to shabby with the targa top off either!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom