Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car Cover

• Thread starter Thread starter Craig Mack
  • Start date Start date
C

Craig Mack

Hello. I was just wondering what a good outdoor car cover would be? Unforntunately we have no garage, and I live in Pennsylvania so the weather is pretty extreme. I was looking at the custom cover made by the company Noah. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with covers. Thank you for your help.

I just bought a Wolf cover from Ecklers. I used it while my garage was being rebuilt. It was a $100 custom fit cover and did a good job. I now use it when inside the garage. Good luck

I just bought the stormshield which is a custom corvette cover. Its a little pricey at 200 but its does an amazing job. It goes to the ground to protect the wheels and the car, the material is so waterproof that I had water pooled up in the afternoon from a storm that ended in the early morning but the cover is still very breathable. I put the cover on at night with dew on the car as a test and the next afternoon the car was bone dry underneath. The cover is guarantteed for 3 years and the manufacturer claims it can with stand even the heavist hail/ rain/ and snow. I live here in NY now and will be using this cover when I move to CO as well. If your willing to spend the money its the best I've seen.

Mid America Motorworks

I bought the multi-layer cover from them, PN# 606713D for $150. Works great, though this will be my first winter with it. The Vette is just a bit wide to comfortably fit in my garage. I'm a little north west of you, but tend to get more snow where as you normally get the rain. It might be just the ticket.
just my $.02

Hi Silver98,

Quick question for you. I plan on getting a C5 towards the spring of '05. My garage opening is in the area of 93" (width). I've read where the C5 is 73"wide. Is this measurement mirror to mirror or doorskin to doorskin?? If it's mirror to mirror I should be good to go. If not, I'm looking at a tight squeeze too.

C5 Width

Hi Chrisr,
Just measured the C5, I got 72" from outside tires in front. My garage door JAMB is 94", so that's 22" of room to play with, and then deduct the mirror additional width, which can't be more than 14" total. That's roughly 8" to get through the door.:(

When I get up the nerve, I'll have to try it. Until then, the cover will have to do. The first time I see snow and ice on top of the cover I know I'm going to freak, so....

It's the only thing I hate about it...and its not my baby's fault, its the d**n garage!

:w

Uh oh!! I'm planning to get a new garage door. I wonder if I can make the opening a little bigger??? I definetly am getting a 'vette, and want to keep it in the garage. I may have to finesse that baby in there. Another question, do the mirrors fold in by chance???

Chris

Outside Mirrors

Chris,
I just checked the 98 owner's manual and it doesn't address folding the mirrors. With that said, I seem to remember reading something in a thread on this forum that mentions that capability, but there were some associated problems. Maybe another member can help?
Sorry, I failed open on this one for you.
Joe

Chrisr said:
Another question, do the mirrors fold in by chance???

Chris
Chris,
The mirrors are break-away in design. They should not be folded, or you will be looking at a very expensive repair: the spring in them is not designed to allow them to retract on demand.

We had a thread on this subject over the summer: someone discovered that the water trapped in the mirror after you wash the car can be coaxed to trickle out if you fold the mirror in- until he broke the mirror and was looking at something like $300 to replace it.

-Patrick

Well guys, I'm in the same boat as Silver98. A 94" opening with approximatley 12" overall/6" either side to play with. Am I going let that stop me from getting a Vette???

HECK NO!!!!!!
:beer
If I can back a $300,000. firetruck into the bay of the station with 4" clearance on either side and not scrape, I'm going to get a 'vette in my garage. (Hopefully without scraping it up!)

Thanks for the replies. I can't tell you guys how much I've learned about these wonderful cars since joining the CAC.

Oh BTW, just to stay on topic, I plan on getting a cover too!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom