Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car died, won't idle or run!

BADRACR

Corvette
1984 White/Red Z51 4+3
I bought an 84 4+3 car the other day (my third total and second one I now have!). This one had been sitting for years and has 108k on it. It ran perfect for over a hundred miles, no starting or driving issues, and I was thrilled. Then going down the freeway, running about 70 mph, it suddenly felt as if it ran out of gas and died. Wouldn't restart, only turn over, and I had it towed home. After getting home, I replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay. Now it will start and run only a few seconds or as long as I pump the throttle. Spray pattern and volume look the same as my other 84, but still won't stay running. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check it with, but I can be certain the relay, pump, and filter are good.
I was on the way home from buying it when this occurred so I haven't flushed the tank or lines out, but I did put a half tank of new fuel in and the owner said he had put a half tank in a few days before. The gas smells and looks okay and the spray pattern look good, but I'm wondering if there's something in the lines or maybe some electrical issue. Everything else works fine, and the car ran fine for two hours.
Any suggestions?

I wondered if the ecm may be the issue. It was running fine, no hesitation, stumble, or miss until it just lost power. I have another 84, and can swap the ecm's to see if that's the issue.

Same issue

I am having the same issue with my 84 if you find out what it is might save me a lot of grief. I did get some good feedback from forum to check fuel pressure. I think I will probably end up pulling the tank and having it cleaned and replace filter and go from there.

:confused
I wondered if the ecm may be the issue. It was running fine, no hesitation, stumble, or miss until it just lost power. I have another 84, and can swap the ecm's to see if that's the issue.

IT"S ALIVE!! Took the fuel pump back out to check everything ther. Replaced the fuel sock on the bottom and the filter on the rail, and it fired right up! Turns out even though the sock looked okay, it must have been clogged. If your has set a while you might try that. Only cost less than $15 and took about 20 minutes or so. Lesson learned: If you change the pump, take the time to change the strainer, too!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom