Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car Rolling When Parked In Gear-Weird

B/STOCK

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red Vert & 2015 DSOM Coupe Z51-3LT
I have a 2000 manual since new. 30K miles. I parked it on a slight incline in 4th gear and when I got out it started creeping backward. Shocked the chit out of me. The compressions is fine and the car goes like it was new at WOT without a hint of clutch slip or loss of power. I only use the car about 600 miles per year and just for a summer cruise with my wife. To my knowledge the only way the car could move in gear is the clutch slipping or compression gone. Do clutches glaze over if not used aggressively. Like I said I can put it through the gears aggressively and no problem. At 71 years old I have been a gearhead all my life and this is the strangest things I ever saw. And no I did not have it in neutral. On a slight incline the car moved in 4th but not in first. Sounded like compression but that's fine. Thanks for any input. Mike

Could be rust on the input shaft causing the throw out bearing to not completely release the pressure plate. Like the rust that forms on the disk brakes when it sits.Proably should drive it more.

Could be rust on the input shaft causing the throw out bearing to not completely release the pressure plate. Like the rust that forms on the disk brakes when it sits.Proably should drive it more.

Wouldn't the clutch slip during full throttle starts and shifts?

That throws my rust theory & the glazed clutch components out the window.

I have a 2000 manual since new. 30K miles. I parked it on a slight incline in 4th gear and when I got out it started creeping backward. Shocked the chit out of me. The compressions is fine and the car goes like it was new at WOT without a hint of clutch slip or loss of power. I only use the car about 600 miles per year and just for a summer cruise with my wife. To my knowledge the only way the car could move in gear is the clutch slipping or compression gone. Do clutches glaze over if not used aggressively. Like I said I can put it through the gears aggressively and no problem. At 71 years old I have been a gearhead all my life and this is the strangest things I ever saw. And no I did not have it in neutral. On a slight incline the car moved in 4th but not in first. Sounded like compression but that's fine. Thanks for any input. Mike

Fourth gear is 1:1, and yes it can roll on an incline (forwards or backwards) if your parking brake is not being used or doesn't work.

Always use 1st gear or reverse gear when parking (uphill 1st, downhill reverse), and the parking brake.

If the parking brake doesn't work it needs to be repaired, it's a critical component in parking any manual transmission vehicle.

Ever wonder why they always suggest you not use 1st gear when push starting a car? Try it in 1st gear and you will find the car will stop rolling instead of it bump starting the engine. As already stated, park in 1st or reverse. What does the owners manual recommend? Any manual car I have ever owned said to park in reverse or first gear, with the later models saying reverse only. And always use parking brake, that way it will never seize, even on automatic trans vehicles. Note that the parking brake is NOT an emergency brake. 3rd Gen corvette parking brake will not stop the car at any speed over 10mph.

In an incline, left in fourth gear, the car is much more likely to roll because of gear ratios and how little the engine turns when rolling very slow in fourth.

If you're going to park on an incline and not use the parking brake, leave it in first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom