Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car security!

Bobsvette

Corvette
2019 Torch Red Grand Sport
Hi all, looking for some added security for my two cherished vettes I have a 96 6-speed and a 99 auto both of course have electronic alarms but as we all know If a pro want's something he's going to get it . I was looking at the shifter lock from eckler's for the auto and The Club for the 96 , hidden kill switch? Help, All suggestion's will be greatly appreciated , Thank's Bobvette ;shrug

One idea if it's available in your area might be a LoJack security/tracking device?

I've heard of them, but no experience with it, so someone else may speak up that's actually used them before and give better advice on it.

Whot about the stock security mesures?

What about the chip in the stock key. I thought the code embedded in the key was impossible to crack and the car will not run without it. Am I naive to believe that the key by itself will stop a thief from steeling my car? Can anyone elaborate on how safe the stock security system really is?:duh I hope that I'm not trusting something that is easily defeated!

What about the chip in the stock key. I thought the code embedded in the key was impossible to crack and the car will not run without it. Am I naive to believe that the key by itself will stop a thief from steeling my car? Can anyone elaborate on how safe the stock security system really is?:duh I hope that I'm not trusting something that is easily defeated!
Well there purty safe,I think he would have to carry about 18 different key resisters in his pocket or a Interrogater and even then he would have to get Lucky the first time!!!The system will shut down for 20-40 minuets each time the wrong one is used!!!

I had to interrogate one for over 7 hours once over a Lost Key!! And even then I hadn't been through half the codes!!!:boogie :boogie When I buy one for Resale now, the first thing I do is check the resistance on the chip and the key cut and wright it down in the File jacket on the car in my office!!!! It has sure came in handy and saved me allot of Headaches!!!!:upthumbs

PS If your Really worried about though I can set you up with one of these!! Click!!:chuckle :chuckle

Bob - here's another alternative.
Remo:cool
KS12248.jpg

If I where to purchase extra security I think I would go with this one.

No security system is ever going to be 100% completely reliable when it comes to preventing the theft of a car. Last year, one of the members of my local Corvette club went to a concert at the Pepsi Center in downtown Denver in late February. He and his wife left at the end of the concert to find, even with the supposed security at the concert, his 2000 Coupe had been stolen. (The on-going theory is that it was an inside job, using a flat-bed tow truck to haul it away to a location where someone could defeat the encoding chip on the key. :( )

His Corvette was eventually recovered four months later in Boulder, after apparently having the hades driven out of it, two months after his insurance had paid off as having been un-recoverable.

For my money, I think Rascal is onto the right idea- some form of a GPS locator that can help the police find the car after it's been stolen, usually in a few hours, is a wise bit of defense.

-Patrick

Trunk monkey:boogie Where can I get one and will it work with mother in law!:naughty:

On a serious note a LoJack or OnStar are the only two GPS enabled security devices I know of. I think the OnStar is even capable of disabling your car remotely!

I forget where and it has been quite awhile, but I read where the best true theft prevention device is a remote kill switch that allows operation for one minute.

The idea is let them get the car and think they are "on the way outa' Dodge City" ... but ... the thing shuts down out on the street and that is a bad place to be messing with a high visibility vee-hickle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom