Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car Shimmying and popping

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
I'm not quite sure how to describe this. It's as though the car shimmy's back and forth. The car also pulls to the right pretty bad. When coming to stops I also hear a popping sound. I can't figure out if the sound is coming from the front or rear. I can feel the pop in my drivers seat though. I just replaced all the u joints two weeks ago, so they should be good. I'm leaning toward ball joints or wheel bearings. I know the wheel bearings need greased. I greased the outter front drivers side when I had the car on the lift doing the u joints.

Could this maybe be a combination of problems. My tires are definitely in need of changing. I'm thinking maybe broken belts. Luckily I have a front suspension rebuild kit. That should take in everything except the wheel bearings, pitman arm, and gear box.

Unfortunately, I was in a car wreck and my daily driver is down. I have to drive this daily, so I can only repair a bit at a time over the weekends. Any suggestions as to what I should repair first? I'm definitely thinking new tires this weekend. However, I'm concerned about tire wear with the allignment issues.

Oh as a side note, I have a new leaf spring on the back. Replaced it about two years ago. It still looks like its in great shape. I need to change the bushing though. I have those as well.

Thanks for any responses.

Figured out what the problem was. Tire blew out on the way to work today. Too bad it couldn't have lasted until tomorrow. I planned on changing the darn things out this weekend.

Made it easy to find what it was.. Hopefully no damage?

Pretty tough to do the suspension rebuild while daily driving. Hopefully, you will have a different daily driver soon!!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom