Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Car stalls and will not run once warm

wildwill

Corvette
1985 coupe, 2003 coupe
HI Guys,

I have an 85. When it runs its awesome. Starts cold but once warm will not run/start. New fuel pump fuel pressure is about 38 PSI. New MAF sensor installed problem continues. Any suggestions? It has died on the freeway at speed and once cools down fires up immediately. Any suggestions?

Some of the obvious things: get the FSM and check it out. Pull any codes stored. Though it could be many things, the first thing is does it have spark when it dies? I suspect not. It sound most like something heat related and the first place I'd start would be with the distributor, though it could be the ecm and some other things.

Start with diagnostics then go from there.

As mentioned get a FSM. It's a known, end of service life issue with the pick-up coil in the distributor. When they heat up they loose continuity. They layers microscopically separate. Causing no signal. Basically... No signal - No Spark. So if you aren't getting spark, when hot,..I'd say the odds are the pick-up coil is on it's way South. They aren't expensive. They vary around $35.
I KNOW SOME ONE WILL BITE MY HEAD OFF FOR GUESTIMATING!
It is easy to check. Using an ohm-meter check resistance cold and then when hot. There is a spec for it in the FSM or google it. I don't know the spec off hand but it shouldn't differ much between cold and hot.

Keep us posted.

Fixed

It was the pick up coil. I removed it and took it in they put it on thier tester and ran it about 15 times and it started failing. It worked great when it was cool. Thanks guys.

:cool!: Glad it worked out. Don't be a stranger on the forum. Get involved. That's how we all learn about these complex machines we love.

Don

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom