Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Car will not start when hot

Achilles

Corvette
1982 CE, 03 MY Z06
I'm having trouble with my 82 CE not starting after it reaches normal operating temp. Starts fine when it is cold. But after being driven for awhile it will not not even crank - I get nothing. Once I wait about 30-60 mins, it will crank and fire right up.

I replaced the starter and that isn't it. Battery is good and clamps are new. Checked and cleaned wire connections to the starter solenoid - all good.

I looked in my repair manual and see some in-line fuse links that go to the starter- could these go bad? But why would it start after it sits for awhile?

Is there a temp. switch that protects the engine from starting under an overheating condition? But I'm not overheating.

This is puzzling:W

I'm hoping someone else has gone through this and was able to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The only thing I can think about is when hot the resistance in the + and ground wires goes up. If this gets to high the starter will not start.
Try to connect a jumper cable from the starter directly to the battery (ground) and see if this is better.

Greetings Peter

I found the problem - I think.

I had my battery tested and found out I had 2 dead cells. I never would have guessed it was the battery since its not that old. But I suppose if the car doesn't get driven very often the battery life might be shorter.

Anyway the 2 dead cells didn't cause any trouble starting the car when it was cold or about 30-45 minutes after the car had been driven for awhile. But so far the new battery seems to have resolved the issue.

I found the problem - I think.

I had my battery tested and found out I had 2 dead cells. I never would have guessed it was the battery since its not that old. But I suppose if the car doesn't get driven very often the battery life might be shorter.

Anyway the 2 dead cells didn't cause any trouble starting the car when it was cold or about 30-45 minutes after the car had been driven for awhile. But so far the new battery seems to have resolved the issue.

You might want to have the altenator checked. A new battery will mask a charging system that is not functioning---but only for a short period of time.

Steve

I had the same problem with the 78 when I first got it. Would start fine cold but it died on me at Advance auto when I was picking up something else. Had them do a battery check and had 3 bad cells and almost no cranking amps. replaced battery and all is good. Good idea to get alternator checked too

How did you make out with this?

One time, I had a bad starter that would draw so many amps when hot, it wouldn't turn over the car giving the impression the engine seized! Installed rebuilt starter and all was well.

It could also be distributor timing related.

Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom