Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car won't hold in Park ?

Corvette
1979 Bright Red L-82
:confused I have a 79 with a L-82 and Auto Tranny.....If I am on a hill , ever so slight even.....I put it into Park and it will still try and roll forward. The park doesnot hold.....only if I use the Parking Brake or park on level ground.... ?????????

Park pawl in tranny

I believe you have a parking "pawl" problem in your trans. It's a little toothed ratchet gear-like thing. I think yours is a Turbo 350. I couldn't tell you the difficulty level to do the repair, but I'm thinking a call to the local trans doc will get you a good idea. Hopefully, you have a trusty one near you.

Might as well put a shift kit in it while you're in there!

Rick

Check shift cable

Just talked to my tranny guy. He says to check the shift cable first. He says these particular years the cable will stretch and it won't fully engage park. You'll have to lift the console to check to see that it is truly engaging fully into park. I might suggest you get it in the air, disconnect the trans cable from the trans linkage, and see if it will click in at the tranny, then see if you can turn the wheels.

If it is the park pawl, he says it's located at the back of the tranny case, near the output shaft. You're basically looking at a rebuild then.

Okay, shift kit and a stall converter!

Rick

my guess is also the cable or an adjustment some times it is the simple things. don't really see parking pawl problems that often my 2 cents ;) steve

And if it was a parking pawl problem, that would mean somebody would have had to slammed it into park while still moving at a pretty good pace in order to break it. It would probably mean a tranny rebuild anyway.

I second the linkage/cable etc suggestion.

Dad always said start with the least expensive cause that could add to a problem and work your way up. Hopefully one of the cheaper less intensive fix will be the culprit.

Thanks.....I will try that......I don't know what it is but when I got the motor rebuilt.....that is when I noticed it.......after they put the motor back in.....I will check the linkage....thanks again....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom