Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

carb and intake

skids

Corvette
64 coupe
Just was wondering if anyone has knows what a good carb and manifold would be for my 64 coupe. Engine is 68vette,327-350HP, 4-sp, headers/sidepipes.,otherwise engine is stock, except it is freshened up.Also when i replaced timing chain,with alignment dots straight up and close to perfectly vertical with cam and crank centerline, my damper is now like 6deg.btdc. New damper and old one were compared and the old damper didn't appear to have slipped, and old chain and sprockets are identical. Engine was at tdc before work was started, but for some reason now, damper does not read tdc on tag. Just don't get it. Would like to use a timing light. What would initial timing be anyway for aforementioned engine, around 8deg? Thanks!!

Don't understand the description of the problem - with the cam and crank sprockets aligned vertically "dot-to-dot" for installation, the engine isn't at #1 TDC - it's at #6 TDC. Is the timing index mark on the new balancer exactly aligned with the keyway slot as it should be? Later balancers had the index mark moved 10 degrees counter-clockwise from the keyway, and the tab on the timing cover was moved to match it.
:beer

damper

carrollm said:
Are you using the same timing cover? has the tab been bent at all?
Are you sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke?

64 Yeah, i'm using same cover, and tab is a bolt on. Old and new damper index mark are identical. Damper is a GM. Even if it is on #6, tab and damper should be at 0deg.

Does the car run o.k. now? If it does, are you checking the timing with the engine running, and the distributor vacuum plugged off. (this will give you a true # without any advance).

Hope one of us can figure your problem out..:confused

64 mike

Car runs great, but I havn't threw a light on it yet since working on it. I have a Mallory unilite dist. No vacuum advance.

Skids, I would throw a timing light on it just for a baseline. If it runs and starts fine, I wouldn't mess with it. Just drive and enjoy.

:beer
64 mike

Yeah, probably right,but I usually always have to be tweeking on it though, to see If I can make it a little better.

For the carb and intake question, if you don't have the original aluminum intake and Holley then I would suggest you use an Edelbrock Performer manifold and an 1850 Holley. Thats the closest to original that I know of and will work great.

My Holley was leaking and this was my solution. The intake is GM #...460. The carb is an Edelbrock #1406 (600cfm) with an electric choke. The gas fittings are from Russell and all steel as I wished to avoid rubber hose. To avoid fuel boil I used Edelbrock #9266 3/8" carb spacer/insulator. The air cleaner base is also Edelbrock, necessary to clear the electric choke and gas inlet. For hood clearance I installed a Mr. Gasket 14 x 2" air filter.

enginejuly07.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/paul79//carbfinal02.jpg

All the bolt-on timing tabs I have seen have been for post-'68 balancers.

In your shoes I would use a TDC finder (piston stop tool) to verify that your balancer mark matches that particular timing tab.

Can't help with your question but have one for you. I've got a 68 327ci block in as you do in my 65 vette but have not been able to install vette valve covers because the block doesn't have orfice at the rear to connect to the breather for the pcv setup. How did you manage to use the correct valve covers without boring holes in them?

As mentioned in the thread, during the late 60s there was an indexing change on SBV8s.

If the harmonic damper matches your original one and you've got the crank and cam sprokets set with their dots aligned, then your bolt-on timing index, as suggested earlier, is probably the wrong part.

You can verify that by locating TDC using the positive stop method and comparing your actual TDC to the marks on the damper and the index tab.

You can continue to use the bolt-on index if you find TDC using the positive-stop method, rotate the engine to that point, then apply a timing tape (MSD makes good ones) to the damper with its TDC mark opposite the zero in the bolt-on index.

Good luck.

brumbach said:
Can't help with your question but have one for you. I've got a 68 327ci block in as you do in my 65 vette but have not been able to install vette valve covers because the block doesn't have orfice at the rear to connect to the breather for the pcv setup. How did you manage to use the correct valve covers without boring holes in them?
There really isn't any way to avoid at least one hole; here's a solution I saw a while ago for the late-block situation where a hole was bored in the inboard wall of the aluminum valve cover and a fitting installed for the large PCV intake hose to the air cleaner; works, and looks pretty decent.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom