Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carbonfiber at its best!

M

MrCrowley

mods.jpg

mods2.jpg

Well if you wanna handle some real power carbonfiber shafts are the way to go. Here are a couple of pics before I install them this weekend. There are also some body panels in the picture that I repainted. I got bored at work so I stripped, and repainted them. I love being able to actually paint my car for no money at all. And black makes it easier.(no blending required)
In the pictures are carbonfiber half, and drive shafts. They have billet aluminum ends, and heavy duty spicer ujoints without grease fittings. The billet ends, yolk, and the ujoints are cryoed for extra strengh. Then I got a pair of billet steel spindles to boot. I am now ready to do some 4-5k launches with slicks, and I will not worry. Once I get the old ones out I will weight them to see what the difference will be.
If anyone is interested in the shafts I can get the whole package for 1200.00 bucks for all three shafts with the cryo-ing. And the whole kit with the billet spindles will run about 1895.00. Just see my profile, and email me if your interested.

Here are some advantages of carbon fiber.

Lighter than steel or aluminum.
Three times torsional strength of steel.
Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
Less shock load to the differential.
Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
Reduces transmission and differential breakage.
In drag racing applications - a better 60 Ft. time.
ET's have been lowered in some cases by as much as .120.
In stock car racing better control out of corners is the result of the torsional spring rate.
In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
Both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes are available.
A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.
And this is extremely important on a vette as it won't destroy the underside of your car. (e.g. trailing arm, abs sensors, and the floor)

Very nice!! I was seriously considering some carbon fibre half shafts for my project since I had to narrow the stock ones. Where did you purchase them and what was the price? Can the be bought in various lengths?

Thanks

That's the way to modify a vette. PREMIUM PRODUCTS!!! I will keep your name in handy so when i have 2000 bucks to blow, I will drop you an email.

Let us know how the on road performance is for those carbon fiber shafts !!!

65zr1 they can be purchased through me. And yes they can be purchased in specific lengths. I can sell all 3 shafts with cryoed spicer(no grease fitting) ujoints, cryoed aluminum ends, cryoed yolk for 1200 bucks.

I would really like to hear about the weight difference.

By the way, I just noticed your location. i am in Baton Rouge.

Let know about the weight.

Regards,

Great mod. I was thinking of going CF myself. Please take some pictures duing the install. I would like to guage difficulity.

Regards,
BILL

Are the side gills,rocker panels and mirrors made of CF?

I just ordered my C/F setup last week. Damn.

I have been tied up in the studio this last week, but I am now done. So I will be bringing the car up to the shop for weigh in, and installation. I will post the difference in weight this weekend.

ZR1Pete said:
Are the side gills,rocker panels and mirrors made of CF?

No they are not, I just had them in the picture cause I just finished up painting them.
Im not at my shop to weigh the stockers on our accurate paint scale, but here are a few pics of them installed. The cf ones are definately lighter than the stock aluminum ones! When I get to my shop tomorrow I will post the exact weight difference from carbonfiber to stock.

cf1.jpg

cf2.jpg

cf3.jpg

cf4.jpg

cf5.jpg

cf6.jpg

I just saw some of these yesterday at the Chicago Vette fest . I was just wondereing , how is the carbon fibre shaft bonded to the aluminum yokes . Cliff

DkBG said:
I just saw some of these yesterday at the Chicago Vette fest . I was just wondereing , how is the carbon fibre shaft bonded to the aluminum yokes . Cliff

That is exactly right, it is bonded together using a special epoxy that is stronger than aluminum and carbonfiber.

OK, here are the numbers, the carbonfiber halfshafts weigh .63lbs lighter each, and the carbonfiber driveshaft is 1.11lbs lighter than the stock one. Again I didn't do this mod for the weight savings. I did it to save damage to the car if one breaks. Carbonfiber will return to carbon form rather than destroy the bottom side of the car like a bent aluminum one would.

I am interested in driveline smoothness afther the install. Form what I have read CF doed not propagate vibration like steel and aluminium.

many of the prostock teams use carbon fiber becuase of it's properties other than weight savings. stuff is strong, absorbs harmonics, and slightly reduces the rotational drag.

but the big reason is safety, when the shaft fails it "brooms" and other than flopping around a bit, it woun't tear up the car.

and the duty/fatigue cycles are way better than alum.

very cool stuff, thanks!!!

Man, your exhaust must be LOUD!!! Straight headers, eh?:J

The car does feel alittle smoother especially over 90mph. But again my 368 does reach 90 very quick! I like what you added Ron, very well put!

I did start the car up while it was open headered, omg tachs very, very fast, and loud! I wish I could leave it off! :) Actually I just removed the exhaust to install the beam plates. I got alot of modding done on Sunday, and in about 2 more weeks we will see what she will do on the 17"et streets leaving at 4500rpm's!;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom