Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Carbs... i know this has been beatin to death but...

J

JapanL81

First off this is my issue, I pulled my carb and took it apart and realized this is more than just a cleaning. i found 2 Giant holes that looked like someone had shot the damn thing close range with their 45. So i need to replace it. I have read every single forum on this site and others the same questions asked with the same furious fire back of DONT GET RID OF YOUR STOCK HAVE IT REBUILT!!:mad I totally understand especially because these carb were way advanced for their time. I just need a direct fitment to my stock manifold i don't care about my ECM as the last owner allowed the plugs to melt away on the block after unplugging them( or he just flat out didn't want them as he already removed the check engine light bulb. Im not looking for a huge HP gain or any for that matter i need her road worthy.

Edelbrock 1406 or 1405 ? Manual or electric choke i need less modifications as possible

Or an entirely different carb just any part number that will work this is a completely stock motor same manifold everything except fuel pump and exhaust. I would like to stay under 350.00$ i see no reason to grab a 400+$ carb since I'm not looking to try and pull much more CFM than Stock. I wish they had an auto part store in Japan the "auto part" store here is full of trinkets to hang from your car, lights, speakers, seats and covers smell good stuff NOTHING USEFULLLLLL at all. There are 3 Holly 600's here locally from a few other american guys extras from their personal builds. maybe that will work as long as they are the same holes on the bottom the same 4 holes on my manifold.

Oh and just to let you know American parts go for insane amount of money out here i can find a Edelbrock from Tokyo but it cost 50,000 Yen with out shipping( thats 500.00$ for a 600CFM carb)

Alright i just picked up a Holly 600 pretty excited but i need to replace my intake manifold which I'm fine with now i need to figure out which intake manifold fits this carb...:happyanim:

I pulled my carb and took it apart and realized this is more than just a cleaning. i found 2 Giant holes that looked like someone had shot the damn thing close range with their 45.
Is all of the carb there? I may be interested in it for some parts that mine needs to get it going properly. (still runs fine but does have some parts missing) I would pay for shipping of course.
I have read every single forum on this site and others the same questions asked with the same furious fire back of DONT GET RID OF YOUR STOCK HAVE IT REBUILT!!:mad I totally understand especially because these carb were way advanced for their time.
It's your car do what you want. You've already said you plan on swapping the engine out at some stage so I don't see an issue. You won't be the first to have swapped the carb out either.
Manual or electric choke i need less modifications as possible
Stoke carb has an electric choke. (light blue wire coming from drivers side fender)Also i'm not sure if it will have any effect but the distributor is also connected to the ECM. This may also need to be changed out with the carb; or the ECM may not even know the difference. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me on the subject will be able to tell you for sure though.Can't help on what manifold you would need. Shouldn't be too hard to find though.

Is all of the carb there? I may be interested in it for some parts that mine needs to get it going properly. (still runs fine but does have some parts missing) I would pay for shipping of course.It's your car do what you want. You've already said you plan on swapping the engine out at some stage so I don't see an issue. You won't be the first to have swapped the carb out either.Stoke carb has an electric choke. (light blue wire coming from drivers side fender)Also i'm not sure if it will have any effect but the distributor is also connected to the ECM. This may also need to be changed out with the carb; or the ECM may not even know the difference. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me on the subject will be able to tell you for sure though.Can't help on what manifold you would need. Shouldn't be too hard to find though.

photo.php.jpg
Heres the hole i found when i took it
photo.php.jpg
I'm willing to sell it the springs seem good but one of the jets are cracked

ok so the pictures i posted on the thread didn't work but i loaded them onto my profile you can see the carb after i pulled it from the solvent tank.

ok so the pictures i posted on the thread didn't work but i loaded them onto my profile you can see the carb after i pulled it from the solvent tank.

Interesting. I've had a look at the pics. The carb number looked odd, so i did a check. That carb was not the original. So might not be any good to me anyway. The carb you have pulled off is a M4ME not an E4ME. (Probably second hand off a dodge) This Explans why the check engine light had been removed. The distributor has probably already been changed also.
Your new carb looks all nice and shiny though.

I know it's too late but for future information what you are looking at is where someone made an access hole to remove the factory plug so they could adjust the idle mixture screws.
very normal and not a problem at all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom