Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carburetors

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Has anyone had any dealings with Carburetors USA in New Jersey ? I dropped off my 59's 2 x 4's there on Oct 2 and was told it would be "about a month" for them to be done. After 6 weeks I starting calling him and it took me 2 weeks for him to finally return my calls. He told me he was running behind but "will get to the October jobs right after the holiday". I assumed that meant Thanksgiving -- here it is almost Christmas and I still haven't heard form him. Starting to get PO'd - missed a lot of great driving weather and now, since it snowed a few times, there is salt all over the roads and it will probably be spring before I want to get the cars out again.

Any info on this guy - good or bad - will be appreciated.

thx,

Bernie O

Has anyone had any dealings with Carburetors USA in New Jersey ? I dropped off my 59's 2 x 4's there on Oct 2 and was told it would be "about a month" for them to be done. After 6 weeks I starting calling him and it took me 2 weeks for him to finally return my calls. He told me he was running behind but "will get to the October jobs right after the holiday". I assumed that meant Thanksgiving -- here it is almost Christmas and I still haven't heard form him. Starting to get PO'd - missed a lot of great driving weather and now, since it snowed a few times, there is salt all over the roads and it will probably be spring before I want to get the cars out again.

Any info on this guy - good or bad - will be appreciated.

thx,

Bernie O

Bernie, same thing has happened to me except he received my carb on May 13. I have called him several times and he never answers so I emailed him and received a reply in Sept that he would be starting on mine then. Well, here we are almost at the end of the year and still no carb. It's now been over 7 months. Luckily I had a spare carb to use but at this point it looks like we are both SOL :mad
Mike

Wow !! That really sucks ! I started to head up there to get mine back today (I live about an hour and a half away), but the traffic is so bad today that I turned around. Then left him a nasty VM telling him I'm showing up next week with the police and a lawyer. Then my wife pointed out that he may damage or destroy my carbs (original 2 x 4's from my '59) if I piss him off. Bad situation. I also (just) noticed that all the reviews he has on his website are from years ago and his address has changed -- I wonder if he just bought the business from the original owner. I also checked with the NJ Better Business Bureau and the business has an "A+" rating, but it still has the original "Haddon Ave." address listed, not where he is now on "Good Intent Road" (kind of a slap in the face !). I'll let you know what happens next week.

Wow !! That really sucks ! I started to head up there to get mine back today (I live about an hour and a half away), but the traffic is so bad today that I turned around. Then left him a nasty VM telling him I'm showing up next week with the police and a lawyer. Then my wife pointed out that he may damage or destroy my carbs (original 2 x 4's from my '59) if I piss him off. Bad situation. I also (just) noticed that all the reviews he has on his website are from years ago and his address has changed -- I wonder if he just bought the business from the original owner. I also checked with the NJ Better Business Bureau and the business has an "A+" rating, but it still has the original "Haddon Ave." address listed, not where he is now on "Good Intent Road" (kind of a slap in the face !). I'll let you know what happens next week.

If I didn't live so far away (Texas) I would have been up there along time ago. Good luck on finding this guy and let me know what happens. He could be deceased for all we know.

Mike

Carburetors and fixing things

Bwmurph:

It seems that you have a problem either getting your parts fixed or asking for the parts back.

Not knowing New Jersey auto repair laws, but most States have a Bureau of Auto Repair or a State Consumer Affairs Department that regulate the auto repair shops in your area. Do call them and start a complaint on this shop and ask the procedure to get your parts back. In most States, a shop must supply an invoice/work order for you parts showing his License , name of the shop etc. and the work to be done and the estimated cost. They might tell you to go to the shop or not. Follow their procedure. If they tell you to go to the shop, DO NOT hammer the shop owner but be firm in asking to get your parts back. The State bureau has the power to do the hammering for you and get the parts back.
Hopefully the shop owner will give you the parts back and leave it at that. When choosing a shop to do work, you should NOT use Yelp or other types of internet feedback as a yardstick of competence. You should find a competent shop that does Carburetor rebuilding. look around and ask ....two Carters or whatever you have are quite some dollars. Good luck.

I'd make the trip up there and tell them who I am and that I want my carbs back either assembled or all of the parts if they have started to rebuild them. If they are nearing completion I would ask for an exact date that I can come back and pick them up. That way he knows you will be coming through the door on that date and can't put you off any longer.

Either way I would insist that I see the carbs before I leave to see how far along he is. You are really just verifying that he actually still has your carbs and hasn't sold them for a big profit thinking he could replace them before you got too hot. Wouldn't be the first time an unscrupulouse restorer sold parts that weren't his. I hope you documented the casting numbers and dates on the carbs with photos before you sent them off.

Tom

OK...... so the guy at Carburetors USA finally got back me: He was pissed that I threatened to bring a lawyer with me and I told him I was pissed at being lied to every time I asked for a finish date on the rebuilds. When I told him that I heard of someone whose carb has been there since May he said that "its possible" because the carb might need a lot of work !! Then he told me that if I was unhappy about his service to come get my carbs. Drove up there today and he had them sitting right out front - didn't even look like he had opened the container. He was in the back and yelled out that he would be there in a minute and I just yelled back who I was and was taking my carbs and left.

I'm beginning to think that this guy is just overwhelmed with work and is trying to do it all himself - it looked like the UPS guy was just there as there were 10 -15 boxes of varying sizes just stacked up in the little room just inside his door.

Regardless, I now need to find someone to re-build my WCFB's. Does anyone know of anybody in the DE, MD, PA or NJ area that is good an reliable ? I know of Bob Kunz in St. Louis, but I was hoping to get someone a little more local to save on time and shipping.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Bernie O

I used Bob Kunz for a L79 Holley a few years ago. I was told by many he was the best and I'm very pleased with the work. I bought the carb apart in a box cheap and it needed a pro to make it usable again. If you are going to send them out to someone what makes the difference how many states away he is? Getting them done right by a person of great reputation should matter most.

Also I know that this carb was test run and adjusted on an engine before it was returned to me.

Tom

Lesson learned

Murph:

Yes, a lesson learned. It could have been worse!!
IF you go to another shop to have the work done, you might take pictures and mark, stamp or whatever the carburetor bases and bodies to identify you carbs when they come back to you reworked. There are a few masters that can fill the bill but I can't recommend any out your way. WCFB's are rather simple, why don't you pick up 2 kits from:

Standard Motors or Walker Carburetor which are the used most in the rebuilder arena. less than $30 the kit. Walker has other than kit parts such as screws, o-rings, linkages and other carb hard parts. You can get the Standard kits from Summit and for other small onesie parts from Walker.
Good luck,:cool!:it.

Another source to check out is Daytona Parts Co. They make ethonol resistant carb kits for most any old car and have been highly recommended by fellow NCRS members. I think kit number 327A is what you need. They also do rebuilding of vintage carbs.

Tom

Just an update on my carbs: I spoke to Robby Kunz (Bob's son) at length about my carburetors and feel pretty good about it. Seems that his Dad is kind of winding down, but Robby is continuing the business and seems to know what he's talking about. Sent my two (2) WCFB's to him on 12/28/17. I was told (again) that they would be about 4 weeks once they got to him. I'll let you know how it goes, but I feel that he is being honest with me (I had them rebuild another carb years ago and was completely satisfied with it).

Stay tuned,

Bernie O

Another update: Got a call from Robby Kunz yesterday. My carbs are done at the price he quoted ($350 each) plus shipping ($50), in the allotted time he said they would be. Sent him a check ( I'm old school and don't do PayPal and he doesn't accept CC's) and he'll ship them back as soon as he gets my check. I feel pretty good about it and can't wait to get them back on the car an fire them up.

Sure wish I would have sent them to him in the first place - there were plenty of good driving days around here in Nov and Dec.

Bernie O

That's good to hear. At least it will be together and ready when the weather breaks.

Tom

Carburetors - Another Update

And the saga continues: After being told that my carburetors were done and would be returned as soon as my check cleared I waited almost 2 weeks with no sign of my carbs. I called to inquire about where they were and after fumbling and stumbling over his words I was told "Well, they're not done yet - they're out at the platers'. The platers' are really busy with some government work and I'm not sure when they will be back, hopefully soon"

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME !!! WTF is it with these carb rebuilders that, seemingly, none of them can speak the GD truth to their customers ???? At least the first guy didn't ask for any money up front.

The carbs have now been off the car since Oct 2. I guess I should have just tried to rebuild them myself. Hell, I could've rebuilt them several times until I got it right and would still be ahead of the game at this point.

Very, very frustrating !!!!!!

Bernie O

And the saga continues: After being told that my carburetors were done and would be returned as soon as my check cleared I waited almost 2 weeks with no sign of my carbs. I called to inquire about where they were and after fumbling and stumbling over his words I was told "Well, they're not done yet - they're out at the platers'. The platers' are really busy with some government work and I'm not sure when they will be back, hopefully soon"

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME !!! WTF is it with these carb rebuilders that, seemingly, none of them can speak the GD truth to their customers ???? At least the first guy didn't ask for any money up front.

The carbs have now been off the car since Oct 2. I guess I should have just tried to rebuild them myself. Hell, I could've rebuilt them several times until I got it right and would still be ahead of the game at this point.

Very, very frustrating !!!!!!

Bernie O

Hey Bernie,
After dozens of phone calls (he never answers) and tons of emails I finally sent him a certified letter. He emailed and said my carb was done. I finally received it a couple weeks later but was not satisfied with it. Appears he took it apart, cleaned it and tossed a kit into it. I emailed and outlined a few problems with it such as choke would not open all the way, pump lever appeared to be bent and idle screw was misaligned off idle cam. Anyway, he actually called me back and after a decent conversation said he would send me a return UPS ticket and he would jump on it as soon as it got back to his shop. Well, haven't heard from him since so will probably fix those minor problems and move on. It's interesting that you sent your carb to one of the premier carb builders for WCFB's and you got the runaround. Like they say, it ain't like the good ol days.

Mike

Mike,

Yeah, it DEFINITELY is not like 'the old days" ! The "old guys" are all gone or retired and I understand that carbs are a thing of the past and there are fewer and fewer people around to rebuild them -- I just want someone to be upfront with me about cost and time so that I can make an informed decision about when, where and who to send them to, but I guess that is asking to much in this world of today (god, I sound old !).

When I was working (now retired) I could have taken my carbs into the shop and set up a little area in a corner somewhere where I could've taken my time and rebuilt them myself. But now I just don't have a place where I can do it without stinking up the house with gas and solvent fumes - the wife hates it when I do that. We are seriously considering moving once she retires in June and I will most assuredly have a house where I can have my own little shop/garage to fool with my cars.

Good luck with your carb and let me know what happens.

Bernie O

Carburetors - Another Update - Again

Its been a month since my last communication -- still no carbs.

BUT, my check has been cashed !!

Since it was originally only going to be "about 4 weeks" to get this done I never bothered to put any stabilizer in the gas tank. (I drive my cars as much as I can in the winter and at least start them and back up and down the driveway) Now it's been over 5 months since the car has been started and driven, so I guess I'm going to have to drain the tank and put in fresh fuel. What a PITA !!

Bernie O

Its been a month since my last communication -- still no carbs.

BUT, my check has been cashed !!

Since it was originally only going to be "about 4 weeks" to get this done I never bothered to put any stabilizer in the gas tank. (I drive my cars as much as I can in the winter and at least start them and back up and down the driveway) Now it's been over 5 months since the car has been started and driven, so I guess I'm going to have to drain the tank and put in fresh fuel. What a PITA !!

Bernie O

Hey Bernie,
Sorry you are having so much trouble getting your carbs back. Hard to believe they cashed your check and won't even let you know what's going on...bummer. I sent my carb back to have some things corrected and to my surprise the guy jumped right on it and fixed everything and sent it back. After a long time I finally have a carb that looks good and actually performs excellent. As for draining your gas tank, if I remember when you take that bolt off the bottom corner of the tank that gas doesn't always want to come out as a steady stream it seems to follow the path of least resistance and fans out all across the bottom of the tank. Ask me how I know :W

Hang in there,
Mike

Finally !

I finally got my carbs back from Robbie Kunz late last week - I was out of town until Thurs night, so just got to take a look at them. I have to admit they really look good - I hope they run as well as they look. A couple of things still concern me though: (1) He called me a week or two ago and wanted to know my VIN # and build date. I assumed he was going to stamp the brass tags on the carbs with that info. The tags came back and are still blank. ??? (2) There's no receipt for the payment and no detail of the work done at all, nothing ! I find that a little strange; if there's a problem I have no record of the work done except for a copy of my cancelled check. I'm gong to call him on Monday and request a receipt and an explanation about the tags.

I hope to get them back on the car this weekend and fire it up, but I'm still not thrilled or know exactly how I'm going to drain the gas tank to get some fresh gas in there. Hope I don't burn the house down.

I'll let you know what happens.

Bernie O

How much gas is in the tank? If it isn't full just top it off with fresh premium. It will be alright. If you feel that you need to drain the tank, as high as it is you can disconnect the flexible hose from the frame to the fuel pump and most of the gas will drain out by gravity. I've had ethanol blend gas in my '81 for way longer than that during periods of storage and it has started right up.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom