Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carburetors

I finally got my carbs back from Robbie Kunz late last week - I was out of town until Thurs night, so just got to take a look at them. I have to admit they really look good - I hope they run as well as they look. A couple of things still concern me though: (1) He called me a week or two ago and wanted to know my VIN # and build date. I assumed he was going to stamp the brass tags on the carbs with that info. The tags came back and are still blank. ??? (2) There's no receipt for the payment and no detail of the work done at all, nothing ! I find that a little strange; if there's a problem I have no record of the work done except for a copy of my cancelled check. I'm gong to call him on Monday and request a receipt and an explanation about the tags.

I hope to get them back on the car this weekend and fire it up, but I'm still not thrilled or know exactly how I'm going to drain the gas tank to get some fresh gas in there. Hope I don't burn the house down.

I'll let you know what happens.

Bernie O

Glad to hear you at least got them back. Just like the guy I used, their all very busy and don't have time for customer service. As for your gas tank, siphon as much as you can then remove the bolt on the bottom of the tank. If it's like mine, the bolt is on the passenger side. Good luck.
Mike

Carbs

Just talked to Robbie Kunz - he is a nice guy, and is going to mail me a receipt. So I guess I should take back some of the venom I spewed when I was so frustrated with waiting on these carbs to come back. I was just so tired of waiting for these things that I thought I might never see them again.

Got the carbs back on the car yesterday and it still doesn't run right. Seems to idle fine and under normal acceleration is OK, but as soon as you stick your foot in it a little it stumbles and fumbles and isn't happy. Robbie suggested hotter plugs, hotter coil, check to see that I've got 5 - 7 lbs of fuel pressure, and that I advance the timing as much as possible. He also suggested putting SeaFoam (sp ?) in the gas tank with every fill-up.

Anyone have any additional comments / suggestions ?? Anything is welcome as I would really like to have this car running well as soon as possible.

Thx,

Bernie O

Just talked to Robbie Kunz - he is a nice guy, and is going to mail me a receipt. So I guess I should take back some of the venom I spewed when I was so frustrated with waiting on these carbs to come back. I was just so tired of waiting for these things that I thought I might never see them again.

Got the carbs back on the car yesterday and it still doesn't run right. Seems to idle fine and under normal acceleration is OK, but as soon as you stick your foot in it a little it stumbles and fumbles and isn't happy. Robbie suggested hotter plugs, hotter coil, check to see that I've got 5 - 7 lbs of fuel pressure, and that I advance the timing as much as possible. He also suggested putting SeaFoam (sp ?) in the gas tank with every fill-up.

Anyone have any additional comments / suggestions ?? Anything is welcome as I would really like to have this car running well as soon as possible.

Thx,

Bernie O

Bernie,
Not sure what motor your running but have you checked your timing? (base timing plus advance). If not I would do that before tossing the kitchen sink at it as your carb builder suggests. Also, do you get onto the Corvette Forum website? There's a member on there Frankie The Fink (no kidding) that ran dual quads on his 61 for quite awhile and he is very knowledgeable on how to set them up and fine tune everything. Post your issues on that website and I'm sure you will get some great advice.

Good Luck,
Mike

Carbs

Guess I should update evceryone on this topic: It turns out the carbs were'nt the problem at all - at least not the major part of it. Ended up replacing my Crane Fireball ignition system with a new Pertronix system - thing runs like a clock now. Although it does look like I have a leak out of the rear seal on my recently installed 5 speed - I'll get to that later this week I hope.

Going to make a separate post about IFS now.

Bernie O

That's interesting. Well at least you found the problem and your carbs should be perfect for a long time now too. I hope you get some good trouble free driving in this fall.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom