Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carlisle and my punch list

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I plan on going to Carlise, not sure if I will have the '60 ready to go or not....here is a small punch list that needs to be done to take the car.....

X finish front bumper/grill install
X apply glue to dash pad for windshield
X install windshield
X install weatherstripping on soft top lid
X install weatherstripping on deck lid
X mount driver side hockey stick SS trim
X mount rear lid emblem
X install rear lid latch mechanism
X install soft top lid latch mechanism
X install driver door window regulator
X install passenger door window regulator
X install passenger door latch and lock mechanism
X install driver door latch and lock mechanism
X install door catch
X install weatherstripping on hood
X finish wiring the head lights and front turn signals
X install door under carpeting wiring shields
Bakers wire volt meter
X wire gas gage
Bakers wire engine temp
Xwire gage cluster lights to gray wire power for lights
Bakers finish wiring motor
X install hood electric lift mechanism
X finish battery cables
Bakers mount starter
Bakers attach starter wires
X fuel line from supply to fuel rail
X fuel line from rail to return
Bakers locate cylinder number 1 at TDC
Bakers set distributor
Bakers install throttle cable and gas pedal
X rebuild brake and clutch pedal assembly
Bakers install brake and clutch pedal assembly
Bakers install stand off for master cylinder
Bakersinstall master cylinder
Bakers run brake lines from master cylinder to frame pick off points
X install passenger door window post
X install driver door glass
Bakers install steering column and shafts
X install weatherstripping around passenger door
X wire tranny temp sensor
X wire fuel pressure sensor
X wire oil pressure sensor
2/3X install 3 gages into center console
X install tachometer recall buttons
X install passenger door glass
X install passenger door trim around door glass
install temporary lower radiator hose for break in period
X take to Harry for inside hood panels fab and install Monday, August 13th
X check out LED lights
X extend wires
X finish rear red lens install allow time for drying
X mount rear bumpers
X install seat divider door
X install seat divider SS trim
install seat belts
install seats
X install door panels
install kick panels
X install driver door trim around door glass
X install driver door side mirror
install dash pad end trim pieces
X remove and re-install dash insert
X install weatherstripping around driver door
install carpet
install trim around center console upper
install trim around center console lower
install shifter trim and 5 speed plaque
X install window crank driver
X install window crank passenger
install passenger door step plate (2)
install driver door step plate (2)
X install driver door window post
Bakers cut to length and make spark plug wires
Bakers install spark plug wire dress over headers
install stacks
X install LED tail lights
gap and install spark plugs 0.035
install lower radiator hose - Cool Flex

And there is a bunch more stuff I have that is not listed I am sure.....but the list drives us and we are making head way.....

Bakers is the shop I will be using the final 4 days before Carlisle to button up any loose ends and firing the motor and fine tuning it.

X means it is done!

Herb,

When we were building our 62 finishing it in time for Carlisle was my goal. My punch list was a long one but I really wanted to be there. It took 16-18 hours every day for the last seven weeks and the car was finished at 2:30am the day we left for Carlisle. I'll never plan to do that again. :crazy

Having been through it my thought would be that if it's reasonable to get things done to your satisfaction then it's worth the effort. If not though I wouldn't rush things or risk your health. There's always other shows and Carlisle will be there next year.

Best of luck and I hope you can make it.

Rich Lagasse

Herb,

When we were building our 62 finishing it in time for Carlisle was my goal. My punch list was a long one but I really wanted to be there. It took 16-18 hours every day for the last seven weeks and the car was finished at 2:30am the day we left for Carlisle. I'll never plan to do that again. :crazy

Having been through it my thought would be that if it's reasonable to get things done to your satisfaction then it's worth the effort. If not though I wouldn't rush things or risk your health. There's always other shows and Carlisle will be there next year.

Best of luck and I hope you can make it.

Rich Lagasse
Rich, your comments are right on.....when I first put the list together I thought no problem, but as I added more and more to the list I realized "this is getting to be pretty big". So, I am going to take a whack at it, but in the back of my mind I have adjusted. My neighbor that was helping me yesterday pushed me pretty good, too good I was so over tired and sore by the time I went to bed last night, I didn't sleep real good waking up several times.

As we were working on it yesterday, I realized that there were items that I was having to do something on that wasn't even on the list....uh oh....what else is supposed to be done that I didn't write down?

I have already decided on a back up plan....take the '64! Not a perfect plan, but it does get me out there and I do like to drive that one......

Herb,

That's a good back-up plan. One main reason we do these projects is because they should be fun and rushing can take the fun out of it quickly. One thing we promised ourselves on our current project was to take our time to enjoy it and not be forced by a deadline. Just one of those little lessons you learn after doing a few projects....... :L Often you remove one item on your list only to add two or three more you've overlooked. :eyerole Our current Punch List is two and a half pages long but checking things off on that list does make you feel better.

Best of luck with the project.

Rich Lagasse

Herb, that's quite a list - take your time, do everything right the first time, and don't worry about a Carlisle deadline; when it's done, it's done. You'll feel better about it if you turn off the pressure cooker and shoot for next year instead. :)

Herb, that's quite a list -:)
John, that is exactly what I thought when I saw the list and knowing it isn't complete nor have we tried to fire the car for the first time, well, we will keep targeting Carlisle right up until it is time to leave....and if it isn't ready, it isn't ready. Part of the reason I am in the position is that I have said all along that it needs to be right, hence we spent a lot of time on the bumpers and grill (oh boy wasn't that fun) and the windshield (right up there with the bumpers and the grill), but I think in the end I will be happier so we got to have it right or do it over.....in the case of the above, it was do it over and do it over and do it over....;LOL

I will be at Carlise, I just don't know with what just yet.....

Herb

That is a big list Herb. Scares me just reading it. I'd like to drive the '59 next year too but my list is shorter.

Rebuild the brakes, carbs, and water pump. Replace the tires, belts, hoses and battery and maybe the top if I get real energetic. Finish up the body work and blow some primer on it. Not worry about pretty or it'll never see the road again.

As many hours as I work a week I'd have to retire to even think about a frame off on my car but I sure do appreciate what you are doing. :)

updated to do list......electric hood lift 95% where I want it to be. Works good enough for Carlisle....will do more engineering on it afterwards....

UPDATED 8/9

got a few more things done yesterday. almost had a major set back. I had the Corvette logo trim installed in the deck lid and after trying the lid mechanism a few times with the key, slammed the trunk down for a "good one" and no matter what the trunk would not open. The male latching mechanism would not let it self go of the female portion.

no way to stick my hand in, we put together about every extension I had in 3/8 drive and made an extension that was about 4 ft long with a phillips drive socket on the end. We ducked taped each joint so nothing would fall off and through the soft lid/gas tank side were able to shine a flashlight into the trunk and after about 10 minutes of fussing were able to un-screw both screws that held the female latch in place. phew...that was close! Now until the deck lid is final, it will not have the Corvette trim oval in place until we are sure that everything is ok.

There is a sweet spot for that latch for sure!

side note, for whatever reason my mid size \lift decided to not go up any more, the motor sounds like it is running, but not building pressure to the lift......I am hoping that we can keep going today with out it and next week when the car is at Harry's I can figure out what is wrong with the lift. It sure does come in handy!

stay tuned....Herb

ps...the center area trim really does look good along with the trim that goes on the lid behind the seats....thanks Chuck and Karen at CK Auto Restoration, you did a great job on polishing repairing and polishing those trim pieces! The one piece behind the seat you can't even tell where the gashes were in that one!!

That is one big list; us old time Tool and Diemakers have a saying "you can't rush diework" that applies to building a custom ride also. I wholeheartedly agree with John and Rich ; if you make it you make it; most mistakes are made while in a hurry. Its not like its your only Vette and you would have to take a beater to Carlisle.
;LOL

ps I worked on my OYT up to the day before the Rock and Race I made it to the show but had a blowout on the way; the 20 year old BFG's that looked fine on the outside were powder on the inside; I had planned on replacing them but just ran out of time.:W:W

still on track....

updated Saturday 8/18:upthumbs

special thanks to Bob, Fred and Jeff, without them I wouldn't have put such a huge dent in the list today.........I really do appreciate the knowledge and help!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom