Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carlisle man completes father's dream by returning class-winning Corvette to LeMans

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Great story!

Elaine

Rob- Thanks for posting the story above. Here's the latest PR:

Chevrolet has been behind "The Quest" since day one, however today they even posted a Press Release about it:

Team Chevrolet 'Quest' Press Release link

Here's the release below, we're really excited about it:

New Documentary "The Quest" Captures Corvette's Magical 50th Anniversary at Le Mans

Film Premiere on May 6 to Benefit Chip Miller Charitable Foundation
2011-04-08

CARLISLE, Pa., April 8, 2011 – Last year's 24 Hours of Le Mans marked the 50th anniversary of Corvette's first participation in the world's most celebrated sports car race. Fifty years after Briggs Cunningham's No. 3 Corvette finished first in the large displacement GT category, the restored race car was reunited with one of its legendary drivers, John Fitch, at the fabled French circuit. Now the remarkable story of this milestone Corvette's return to Le Mans is told in a new documentary film, "The Quest."

The Chip Miller Charitable Foundation (CMCF) will premiere this moving documentary created by award-winning filmmaker Michael Brown on Friday, May 6, at the Carlisle Theatre in Carlisle, Pa. Tickets for the premiere are available at www.QuestDocumentary.com, and all proceeds will benefit the Foundation.

“The Premiere of 'The Quest' is going to be a unique, must-attend event," said Lance Miller, co-owner of Carlisle Events. "The film is about so much more than cars. I think everyone, in their own way, will find an emotional connection to this story."

The film recounts how the No. 3 Corvette disappeared into obscurity after winning its class at Le Mans. It follows the quest of renowned Corvette enthusiast Chip Miller to find, restore, and ultimately return this milestone automobile to France to celebrate the golden anniversary of its historic victory. Following Miller's untimely death in 2004, his dream of returning the No. 3 Cunningham Corvette to Le Mans lived on through his son Lance and the Miller family.

Wearing traditional American white and blue racing colors, the immaculately restored Corvette participated in a parade through downtown Le Mans and led 50 Corvettes on a ceremonial lap of the track before the start of the 24-hour race with Fitch at the wheel. Fitch, now 93 years old, and the historic Corvette will attend the premiere to help the Chip Miller Charitable Foundation raise awareness of Amyloidosis, a rare and incurable plasma cell disorder that claimed the life of Chip Miller.

"People come to a race track to see the drivers in action,” said Fitch, "but when I took the wheel of the No. 3 Corvette with Lance at my side, it was I who became the spectator. At parade lap speed, I could observe not only the thousands of fans who cheered us on, but also the emotions of my young passenger. His efforts to fulfill the dream of his father and best friend had paid off. It was a very special and satisfying experience."

"When you look at the Corvettes that raced at Le Mans 50 years ago, it's impossible not to be impressed by the passion, the immense courage, and the physical stamina that was required to race for 24 hours in those vehicles," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "It was an astounding feat, and the men who drove them have my respect."

About Chevrolet: Founded in Detroit in 1911, Chevrolet celebrates its centennial as a global automotive brand with annual sales of about 4.25 million vehicles in more than 140 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, safe and reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited performance and value. The Chevrolet portfolio includes iconic performance cars such as Corvette and Camaro; dependable, long-lasting pickups and SUVs such as Silverado and Suburban; and award-winning passenger cars and crossovers such as Spark, Cruze, Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet also offers “gas-friendly to gas-free" solutions including Cruze Eco and Volt. Cruze Eco offers 42 mpg highway while Volt offers 35 miles of electric, gasoline-free driving and an additional 344 miles of extended range. Most new Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom