Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carpet pads under each wheel......

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
Reading and researching Vette Stables and in a few photos noticed what looked like carpet samples under each tire.
Right?

This for storage, daily use, or what?

Rain(who has a little more than a 20x16 new garage to DO)

Some do this for storage. I stored minefrom Dec through April and did nothing to tires. The advice I read is that the newer tires will not flat spot over short periods of time. I had zero problems after this 4 month hibernation.

Thank you once again Steve

Thats what I was figuring.. But when I saw it in more than a couple of pics, I started to wonder...
What was I missin? haha

Take care
Rain

Some people with painted garage floors use carpet squares to keep the oils in the rubber from staining the floor (not an issue with an epoxy-coated floor). They also reduce "flat-spotting" to some extent during months of storage, but any "flat spots" disappear after a few miles of driving anyway; I just had my '69 Z/28 out for the first time since October, and the "flat spots" disappeared after about three miles (no carpet squares - just parked).
:beer

I do it to cut down on flat spots, My SS flat spots tires over nite,
the Vette takes a little longer. they allways come out after a couple of blocks, I guess it can't hurt.
YMMV..

I'm willing to bet that one of the pics that you noticed was mine. I put carpet under the tires when I store the vette for 6 or 7 months out of the year. I got the carpet sections long enough so that I can also move the car back and forth every so often during storage.

I use the carpet and moving the car back and forth only on the off chance that it might prevent flat spots (even though I never had a problem with flat spots prior to using carpet).

I guess the main reason was that I had extra carpet and I figure that it definately couldn't hurt!!!

-J.

p.s. And yes, I make sure I run the car until the oil temp hits 200 degrees every time I move it during the winter. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom