Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carter AFB heat isolator

dtaz

Corvette
1963 Black split window
My "63, 340 HP has a Carter 3461s carb, and gas is boiling when I shut it off. Heat riser is out. I am looking for a 1/4" thick phenolic spacer. Any ideas or better yet part #'s. Thanks, Frank

I found this Canton Racing Products one on Summit for square bore carbs [h=1]Canton Racing Carburetor Spacers 85-154[/h] Doesn't say if it fits both Holley and AFB. I'd call and ask.

Do you have the intake manifold carb heat passages blocked? I have read where some with 340 horse engines had drivability issues after about 20 minutes of drivingwith both sides blocked. Others say no problem. Some suggest only blocking one side. I have has AFB cars on both aluminum and iron intakes with the heat passzges blocked and never had a problem with drivability.

Many aftermarket performance intake gaskets come with the heat passage block off plates. I see some in Summit have them and some don't.

Tom

I found this Canton Racing Products one on Summit for square bore carbs Canton Racing Carburetor Spacers 85-154

Doesn't say if it fits both Holley and AFB. I'd call and ask.

Do you have the intake manifold carb heat passages blocked? I have read where some with 340 horse engines had drivability issues after about 20 minutes of drivingwith both sides blocked. Others say no problem. Some suggest only blocking one side. I have has AFB cars on both aluminum and iron intakes with the heat passzges blocked and never had a problem with drivability.

Many aftermarket performance intake gaskets come with the heat passage block off plates. I see some in Summit have them and some don't.

Tom
Thanks Tom, but it is not a square bore carb. I have spent several hours on the phone with Summit, Jeggs, Trans-Dapt, etc. So far,it looks like I am going to buy a blank, 3/8" thick piece of composite and make my own. Thanks again, Frank

One that fits

check the following link as he advertises he has one available

Carter WCFB Insulator

This is usually the one that is used.

Thanks,

Ben

On Saturday, June 16, 2018, Frank <dtaz79@ptd.net> wrote:
Hello. I have a Carter # 3461S, Corvette, 340HP. Will your CAFB 250 fit this? CC across front mounting holes is 4-1/4”, front to rear is 5-1/8” Thanks, Frank

I'd get the intake off and block the exhaust heat passage under the manifold.

With the heat riser passage blocked you may experience cold drivability problems but, just let the engine warm up a bit before you drive it.

You also can add your spacer but keep in mind that raising the carb up decreased hood clearance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom