Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

casting numbers help

• Thread starter Thread starter 64VetteMania
  • Start date Start date

64VetteMania

hi again...ok now im in a posistion where im a little stuck and need somones help...i bought my 64 coup a few days ago and i love the car but its not the original motor in it so im thinking now should i drop a big block in it or should i try to find a date coded block for it ( if i can) i checked my vin on a sight with the calculator and it gave me june 15th ..i know i need an 870 block for it,,( thats original for the car) but i dont know how to check for a cast date with what info i have on my car.. if somone could help me it would be great,,,my vin is 40837 S (june15th) and my trim tag is F04 ...style 837....A-1184 body .....trim STD....900 A paint,,,,,someone told me i can have like a 2 week span inbetween for a date coded block or heads,,,now my other question is if i find these parts date coded for my car is it better to do that or drop a big block in the car like a 427 (value wise for the car) cause im not a rich guy (lol) and i would like to know as an invesment point of view for the car in the future,,,thanks again

lou

You may have no choice, a big block may not fit your frame. Front cross-members on ALL 65-67 frames are notched to clear the Big Block balancer and pulley. Depending on when GM began phasing in this notch, your "late" 64 frame may/may not have this notch.

You need an 870 block cast between January 15th (A 15 4) and about June 10th (F 10 4). Your coupe body was built at A.O. Smith on June 4th with black paint and a black vinyl interior, and was the 1184th coupe body produced by A. O. Smith.
:beer

thats the info i needed to hear...johnZ thanks so much...ive been reading alot of posts on this site and theres alot of good true info here ..thanks again

can someone tell me if this is right....i found a motor for sale and he says its from a 64 vette...but these numbers with the vin shows a 5 so is it a 65 motor or a 64??? this is what he has ..........Vin # is 3111456 F03I5RE...im looking for a 64 motor and i wanna know if this is right,,,thanks

That's a 327/340hp (RE) out of a '63 - the "3" at the beginning of the VIN derivative indicates it was in a '63 (a "4" would be '64, "5" would be a '65, etc.). The casting date should confirm that (behind pass. side head on the bellhousing flange on the block).
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom